Indonesia - visa on arrival

Old May 23rd, 2007, 02:41 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

Default Indonesia - visa on arrival

"Nick" ha scritto nel messaggio
Nick wrote in
:

wrote in news:1179781364.570185.222530
@y2g2000prf.googlegroups.com:

I have round-trip tickets between N. America and S'pore. From there,
my plan is to fly into Medan, take ferry to Penang, and get back to
S'pore using ground transportation.

How do I get the visa @Medan airport? According to the instructions,
I need to show ticket of leaving that country. Anybody had done
similar in the past?

Here's a list of countries and territories under the VOA facility and
a list of VOA facilities in Indonesia:
http://www.indonesia.nl/articles.php...&art_cat_id=29
I have travelled from Penang to Medan by ferry and held a round-trip
ticket AMS to BKK, I had no problems at all getting a VOA (back in
2002).

Just a minor correction, it could also have been that I didn't need a
visa at all at that time.

BTW the ferry was reasonable clean and fast as I recall, Medan
was at best okay, the places I really enjoyed were places like
Berstagi, Lake Toba, Bukit Lawang, and Bukkitingi.

Good luck,

Nick

The Indonesian government is (was?) planning to extend VOA to a couple of
other countries according to this article:
http://www.indonesia-ottawa.org/info...n/details.php?
type=news_copy&id=4034

thank you for yr link. I had one that showed 37 countries
eligible for visa on arrival.

I do not understand why.. but many european countries that belong to the EU
do not belong to that list.
Latvia is one of them. ( and the nearest Indonesian Embassy is in
Sweden.. )

Old May 24th, 2007, 10:38 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Manfred Aigner

tile wrote:
[..]
I do not understand why.. but many european countries that belong to the EU
do not belong to that list.
Latvia is one of them. ( and the nearest Indonesian Embassy is in
Sweden.. )

The visa agreement has nothing to do with the EU. It seems that the
agreement between countries are negotiated directly between the nations.
There is even a difference from one "shengen-country" to another when
outgoing ...(so germans can have different visa conditions than
austrians ...)

manfred
Old May 24th, 2007, 12:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message
t...
tile wrote:
[..]
I do not understand why.. but many european countries that belong to the
EU do not belong to that list.
Latvia is one of them. ( and the nearest Indonesian Embassy is in
Sweden.. )

The visa agreement has nothing to do with the EU. It seems that the
agreement between countries are negotiated directly between the nations.
There is even a difference from one "shengen-country" to another when
outgoing ...(so germans can have different visa conditions than austrians
...)

Correct.
The initial visa-on-arrival list excluded Netherlands (supposedly because
the immigration minister at the time did not get on with the Dutch or their
government) and I think Sweden (because they were housing some Moluccan
refugees = terrorists from the Indonesian viewpoint). Something like that
anyway, I forget the details.

It also excluded Ireland (maybe Jakarta just forgot them? very inconvenient
as there is not an embassy in Ireland).

Anyway, it is so much easier for Europeans/Westerners to get visas for
Indonesia than for Indonesians to get visas for Europe etc. that perhaps we
should not complain too much.

Old May 24th, 2007, 02:50 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"Manfred Aigner" ha scritto nel messaggio
t...
tile wrote:
[..]
I do not understand why.. but many european countries that belong to the
EU do not belong to that list.
Latvia is one of them. ( and the nearest Indonesian Embassy is in
Sweden.. )

The visa agreement has nothing to do with the EU. It seems that the
agreement between countries are negotiated directly between the nations.
There is even a difference from one "shengen-country" to another when
outgoing ...(so germans can have different visa conditions than austrians
...)

manfred

I agree with you..
but don't you find it funny that what we call EU accepts different rules
and has different rules ??
we want a EU or is it just a name ??

Old May 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
tile

"RAK" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message
t...
tile wrote:
[..]
[...]

yes. but can you believe a citizen of Latvia has to apply to Indonesian
Embassy in Sweden. ??
they want kroner. but only with a bank transfer.
then you have to send everything with Courier.. and that costs a lot.
at the end. a visa that costs about 35 dollars will end up with about 150
dollars...

Old May 24th, 2007, 09:16 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"tile" wrote in message

"RAK" ha scritto nel messaggio
.. .

"Manfred Aigner" wrote in message
t...
tile wrote:
[..]
[...]

Sorry, but I can believe it. It seemed to be worse for Ireland for a while.
Irish people could not get visas in Ireland, but I was told that the London
Indonesian embassy was saying that they would only issue visas to UK
citizens and residents, i.e. not most Irish people. I don't know what the
solution was. I assume the London embassy eventually started issuing visas
to the Irish. Maybe some people had to get them through France etc., or
maybe in transit in Singapore.

Ireland and the UK also have different currencies, though at least both
speak English.

I have lived in Indonesia for years and this nonsense does not surprise me
unfortunately.

Old May 25th, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Miguel Cruz[_2_]

Spehro Pefhany wrote:
the renowned Alfred Molon wrote:
Do the Indonesians realise that by requiring visas from citizens of
European countries they hamper their tourist sector? They should try
to get as many (wealthy) tourists as possible.

Tourism is only one factor. They also have a responsibility to
negotiate the best terms possible for Indonesian nationals visiting or
working in other countries..

That's a trivial factor by comparison. The amount of money Indonesians
spend on visas pales next to the amount of money tourists spend in
Indonesia.

And I really don't believe any rich country has ever changed its visa
stance in response to punitive tourist visa fees from a poor country.

miguel
--
Hit the road! Photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu
Detailed airport information: http://airport.u.nu
Old May 25th, 2007, 04:28 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Fri, 25 May 2007 15:47:05 +0200, the renowned Alfred Molon
wrote:

In article ,
says...

[...]

Best regards,