Going Cape Town to Victoria Falls?

Old January 10th, 2004, 05:33 AM
Bob

Default Going Cape Town to Victoria Falls?

My wife and I will be in Cape Town in December and we would like to
see Victoria Falls. It would be just a quick trip to see the falls and
return.

My questions a
How is the best way to do it?
Independent or tour?
Which tour company?
Is Zimbabwe as unsafe as the reports imply?
How do I maximize our safety?

Thanks in advance

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:08 AM
jona

"Bob" wrote in message
My wife and I will be in Cape Town in December and we would like to
see Victoria Falls. It would be just a quick trip to see the falls and
return.

My questions a
How is the best way to do it?

Fly, don't drive. Any travel agent in CT will be able to book
your flight(s) and accomodation for you. Make sure they
arrange transport from the airport to town for you.

Independent or tour?

Independant. The falls are easily accessible and in plain view from
anywhere in VicFalls (the town). You don't need a tour guide to
show you which falls are the Vic Falls and where they are. The
Victoria Hotel (or is it Vic Falls Hotel?) is close by and within
easy walking distance. If not booked in there, there are taxi's.

Which tour company?

n/a

Is Zimbabwe as unsafe as the reports imply?

In Vic Falls itself you should be safe enough. My last visit to the
rest of Zim was over 10 years ago - which then was a totally different
kettle of fish. That beautiful country just ain't the same anymore -
apparently. That alone is sufficient reason to have Mugabe strung up
by the knackers.

How do I maximize our safety?

All normal touristic precautions should be applied. Beware of
pickpockets, etc, etc.

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:49 AM
Koos Greeff

Hallo Bob,

If you do not fly, this is no quick visit for it is a long way from CT to
Vic Falls. If you would like to drive, hire a car and drive via Namibia to
the Zambian side of the Falls.

Koos Greeff

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:10 PM
Dave Patterson

Is someone in Cape Town handling your
arrangements there? if so, they would have
access to the best values for your Vic Falls trip.
Newspapers always have deals advertised in the
Travel Section.

All you need:
1. r/t airfare - best fare I found today for a random
set of December dates (10th to the 13th) was
$550 USD p.p. But cheaper fares do come up from
time to time.

2. accommodations - the Kingdom in Vic Falls is the
best value. Big, splashy place and closest to the Falls.
Victoria Falls Hotel is the grand old elegant hotel,
and much more expensive - also very close to the Falls.

Out of town, the Elephant Hills (which burned)
has been beautifully restored. Free shuttle to town.

3. airport transfers - which are not cheap.

You should be able to find a 'packaged' 2 night tour that
combines all of these, plus (probably) a sunset cruise
on the Zambezi (known usually as the 'booze cruise')
and a tour of the Falls for about $ 700 - $800 p.p. from Cape Town.
Maybe less..

Vic Falls, Zimbabwe is not really unsafe. Just hang on to your
camera, purse, etc., when you are out and about. It is
more depressing than unsafe, if you come to understand how
hard life is there these days. Tourism is down - the government
has ruined the economy - the Zim dollar is worthless - the
people are helpless to do anything.

In any case, get AS MUCH PREPAID in any package you buy,
so you don't have any more out-of-pocket expenses than
necessary. The exchange rate for western currency is one
thing on the street, and extraordinarily less when you use
a credit card.

Old January 10th, 2004, 07:09 PM
Scott Elliot

"Bob" wrote in message
My wife and I will be in Cape Town in December and we would like to
see Victoria Falls. It would be just a quick trip to see the falls and
return.

My questions a

It has been 6 or 7 years since we visited Victoria Falls, but based on our
experience, these are my comments. (My wife grew up in Rhodesia.)

How is the best way to do it?

The ideal trip would take three of four weeks in a rented vehicle. Travel
up the west coast of South Africa and Namibia and across the Capivi strip to
Victoria Falls. Return through Botswana and Chobe and Okavango National
Parks (this part requires a 4x4 - the alternative is to drive south through
Zimbabwe and visit Hwange Park) and finally south through South Africa.

For a quicker trip, fly. Last time we flew South African Air to
Johannesburg and Zimbabwe Air to Bulawayo, Zim. where we rented a car and
drove to Victoria Falls, visiting features like Matobos and Hwange parks.
You could fly directly to Victoria Falls.

Independent or tour?

The people speak English and it is relatively easy to get around with a
rented car (driving on the left and donkey carts on the highway are the main
concerns). I would be more inclined to book local trips such as rafting on
the Zambesi or a guided game tour, than a whole tour that limits you freedom
of choice. In Victoria Falls, the small park along the top of the gorge at
the falls is easily accessable on foot, but you could hire a local guide.
Other attractions are "The Big Tree" and bartering with craftsmen for
beautiful stone and wooden carvings and woven baskets. Tea on the terrace
of the Victoria Falls Hotel overlooking the Zambesi gorge and the beautiful
bridge to Zambia is an African classic you don't want to miss.

Which tour company?

We booked our accomodation through Zimbabwe National Parks. We visited the
office in Bulawayo, but it would have been better to book in advance through
the main office in Harare. At Victoria falls we had a chalet in a small
park just out of town. We overlooked the Zambesi River and there were
hippos grazing on the grass out front during the night. Facilities were
spotlessly clean, but a little worn and patched. Cost was about $25 per
night. We ate in restaurants, although the chalet had full cooking
facilities and an attendant to do the dishes.

Is Zimbabwe as unsafe as the reports imply?

Most people in Zimbabwe know the coutry needs tourists to come and spend
money and will treat you well. As with any country, there are a few people
who will cause problems. I had a friend who was shot to death visiting the
USA when he stopped to offer assistance to a motorist with car problems.
Zimbabwe is not likely to be that risky.

How do I maximize our safety?

I got some great, motherly advice from a sales clerk in Bulawayo my first
day in Zimbabwe. When I opened my wallet at the till she gave me a lecture
to the effect that most of the people of Zimbabwe are very friendly and
proud to show us their country, but many people are very poor. Please don't
put temptation in their way by overt displays of wealth or by having more
than just enough money to make the purchase visible in your wallet when
making a purchase.

It took me a while to learn to relax and slow down to "African time", but
when I did I really enjoyed the people I met and had a great time. I hope
your trip works out as well as ours did.

Thanks in advance

The current government is not encouraging to foreign visitors and is even
worse for most of the people of Zimbabwe. I hope that the government would
change within the next few years and try to delay my trip until after that
happens, if possible. If I only had one chance to visit, I would take it
regardless of the government.

Scott
Kelowna, BC, Canada

Old January 12th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Justin Miles

Bob,

Airfares:
For airfares, try Nationwide Air as they fly
direct Johannesburg - Livingstone (Zambia side of the Vic Fals)
http://www.flynationwide.co.za
Book a flight - Select Johannesburg to Livingstone
Cost $290 Return, you will then still need to Book a flight
from Cape Town to Johannesburg
Cape Town to Johannesburg : $235 return

Livingstone Lodge ($30 per night)
http://www.livingstone-lodge.com/rates.html

Tour Company:
http://www.flamelily.co.za/pricelist.htm
They have been doing this for the last 10 years plus
and our company use them to book our flights through
Africa.

Email for up to date pricing

Regards

Justin Miles

Live surfcam at Vic Bay on the Garden Route of South Africa
http://www.midafricam.co.za/4/

Old January 13th, 2004, 02:54 AM
Bob

Justin,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I am going to be flying through JNB
and can stop and fly to Livingstone.

Bob

On Mon, 12 Jan 2004 11:23:58 +0200, "Justin Miles"
wrote:

[...]

.. .

Old January 15th, 2004, 05:12 PM
Chessie

Bob wrote in message . ..
My wife and I will be in Cape Town in December and we would like to
see Victoria Falls. It would be just a quick trip to see the falls and
return.

My questions a
How is the best way to do it?
Independent or tour?
Which tour company?
Is Zimbabwe as unsafe as the reports imply?
How do I maximize our safety?

Thanks in advance

If you have a choice of hotels, Ilala Lodge is wonderful. Close to
the falls, not as expensive as Vic Falls Hotel, but nice, comfortable
and tasteful. Big rooms, nice terrace restaurant in the hotel, too.
But do have tea/drinks at the Vic Falls Hotel...it's lovely.

As previous posters mentioned, DO NOT use a credit card. The exchange
rate for CC transactions is ridiculous. Don't change money at the
hotels either...same ridiculous rates. ON the other hand-- and this
is essential-- do not change money on the street, with the guys who
accost you wherever you walk. They will offer a great rate, but you
will get ripped off. Best places to change are the little
moneychanging stalls in the marketplace. The rates when I was there
were 5 or 6 times the official rate, and they are honest. Walk around
and ask them for their rates...or if you are making a purchase in a
store, sometimes the manager will accompany you to change money at one
of these stalls. I got good rates this way, and saved some time.

Obviously, you need a moneybelt to carry around your cash this way,
but using it I had no problems. However, the zim dollar is so
worthless, that my hundred dollars turned into a very large pile of
zim dollars--wouldn't fit in my purse!! The change booth lady gave me
a small plastic grocery bag to carry it back in...so if you have a
medium sized, strong and opaque shopping bag, take that along for the
zim dollars!
Old January 18th, 2004, 01:48 AM
Bill Mayville

I would just like to say, anyone going to cape town , its worth your
time.i am from cape town and its beautiful, just keep street wise and
you will be fine.Going with a tour group is the best advice i can give
you, that way you will be safer and get too see more to.

Have fun, amanda