Interesting place to see in Hong Kong

Old December 6th, 2004, 01:43 PM
Iceman

Just wondering why the Hong Kong Heritage Museum is on the list of
things to avoid? Both my guidebooks rate it well and say its worth the
trek out there?

It's really boring. The only good part are the Beijing Opera
costumes. If you have a lot of time you might consider it, but
otherwise there are much more interesting things to do in Hong Kong
and the vicinity.
Old December 7th, 2004, 12:01 PM
Chris Blunt

On Tue, 07 Dec 2004 07:18:40 +0000, Desert Dweller
wrote:

Just wondering why the Hong Kong Heritage Museum is on the list of
things to avoid? Both my guidebooks rate it well and say its worth
the
trek out there?

It's really boring. The only good part are the Beijing Opera
costumes. If you have a lot of time you might consider it, but
otherwise there are much more interesting things to do in Hong Kong
and the vicinity.

Never, never, ever go to the floating restaurants- they are truly awful.
If you want good seafood go to Lamma island or the new territories. I
would say that afternoon tea is better at the InterCon down the road as
the Peninsula is overrated, costly and you are hurried out as there are
a lot of people waiting as they think it's the thing to do.

The floating restaurants always seem to get poor recommendations from
people this newsgroup, but I don't think its all totally justified.

For sure, you can get much better seafood in the places you suggest,
but for a first time visitor to Hong Kong a dim sum lunch on the Jumbo
could be worth doing. The food may not be top quality, but the overall
experience of the sampan trip out through Aberdeen harbour and the
idea of having a meal on such a large and colourfully decorated vessel
is quite impressive the first time around. Most visitors find it a
memorable experience, although I agree it may not be for the quality
of the food.

Chris

Old December 8th, 2004, 01:37 AM
Stephen

On 6 Dec 2004 02:41:11 -0800, "rudi"
wrote:

Just wondering why the Hong Kong Heritage Museum is on the list of
things to avoid? Both my guidebooks rate it well and say its worth the
trek out there?

The Heritage Museum is excellent and there's a lot there for kids too.
I think our friend who earlier remarked:
It's really boring. The only good part are the Beijing Opera
costumes. If you have a lot of time you might consider it, but
otherwise there are much more interesting things to do in Hong Kong
and the vicinity.

...might have a less than perfect perception of culture. The 'Beijing
Operal costumes' [sic] are in fact Cantonese opera costumes and thus
represent and important part of the traditions here in Hong Kong.
It's an easy train ride and there's a free shuttle from the train
station.
Have a look at this:
http://www.heritagemuseum.gov.hk/

Stephen, Hong Kong.