Our First Visit to Vietnam... Suggestions Needed, Please.

Old November 17th, 2004, 04:28 PM
William McNicol

(Miguel Cruz) wrote in message ...
Brett Bardill wrote:
I would suggest you treat going to Vietnam as you would treat going to
central Mexico. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled or has been
boiled. If you go to the sidewalk resturants look how they clean up after
people have eaten and how they are preparing the food. I have eaten in many
sidewalk places like this and always enjoyed the food without disasterous
results later. The only place that I did ever get any food related illness
was in a very nice looking resturant

This is now it normally works.

miguel

:-)

Well, what you are really looking for is food which has been freshly
cooked and is served still piping hot. Food which has been cooked to
order rather than stuff which was cooked and then kept warm is a must.
One thing you are likely to be able to see in low end restaurants or
pavement places, is where the food is actually cooked. In 'classy' or
'nice looking' restaurants, the kitchen is usually out of sight, so
who knows what state it might be in. One thing about pavement places
which might put you off is the way they often do the washing up:
loads of plates and chopsticks in lukewarm (i.e. ambient temperature)
water with a wee bit of detergent.... Of course, the 'nice looking'
places may be no better. Still, I have never had any problems in
Vietnam from eating food, and have had many marvellous meals at
phenomenally cheap prices.

Another thing to watch out for is ice which is often carried on bare
backs or slid across the pavement. I always take the line that the
'dirty' bits will have melted off by the time I get it in my drink.
Others recommend staying away from ice altogether... it's up to you.
(In large towns the ice is made from purified water, elsewhere, who
knows?)

At the end of the day, you are not likely to die from a bad meal in
Vietnam (although I suppose there is a theoretical risk of that). One
other risk in Vietnam which might *really* spoil your holiday is to
stand on a discarded syringe which are becoming increasingly common
to see around the parks in Saigon. Another good reason to keep of the
grass.

That said, Vietnam is really a very low risk place to visit with the
only major risk for a *sensible* tourist being road travel.

There is a wealth of good advice to be had over at
http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/ca...s.cfm?catid=24
although I wouldn't recommend the LP guidebook.

If you want to see what you will miss if you *don't* go, try
http://www.terragalleria.com/vietnam/

Cheers,

William.

Old November 17th, 2004, 07:01 PM
Iceman

I would suggest you treat going to Vietnam as you would treat going to
central Mexico. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled or has been
boiled.

Always drink bottled water rather than tap water in any developing
nation. Make sure the seals on the water bottles are intact (i.e.
that they aren't used bottles refilled with tap water).

If you go to the sidewalk resturants look how they clean up after
people have eaten and how they are preparing the food. I have eaten in many
sidewalk places like this and always enjoyed the food without disasterous
results later.

Cooked food from clean stalls is usually fine. Things to watch out
for are raw shellfish, drinks with ice made from tap water, or raw
vegetables/fruit that aren't peeled.

Old November 17th, 2004, 08:36 PM
Miguel Cruz

Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti:
Brett Bardill wrote:
I would suggest you treat going to Vietnam as you would treat going to
central Mexico. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled or has been
boiled. If you go to the sidewalk resturants look how they clean up
after people have eaten and how they are preparing the food. I have
eaten in many sidewalk places like this and always enjoyed the food
without disasterous results later. The only place that I did ever get
any food related illness was in a very nice looking resturant

This is now it normally works.

So, we should avoid nice looking restaurants.

If you want to avoid illness in developing countries, yes. Subject to your
definition of "nice-looking", of course.

miguel
--
Hit The Road! Photos from 32 countries on 5 continents: http://travel.u.nu

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:16 PM
Markku Grönroos

"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti viestissä
Markku Grönroos wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" kirjoitti:
Brett Bardill wrote:
I would suggest you treat going to Vietnam as you would treat going to
central Mexico. Don't drink the water unless it's bottled or has been
boiled. If you go to the sidewalk resturants look how they clean up
after people have eaten and how they are preparing the food. I have
eaten in many sidewalk places like this and always enjoyed the food
without disasterous results later. The only place that I did ever get
any food related illness was in a very nice looking resturant

This is now it normally works.

So, we should avoid nice looking restaurants.

If you want to avoid illness in developing countries, yes. Subject to your
definition of "nice-looking", of course.

I didn't define anything. I merely referred to someone -verbatim. So, in ill
looking places one doesn't get ill.