Traveling via Zimbabwe to Zambia

Old May 8th, 2004, 02:30 PM
Rob Keulemans

Default Traveling via Zimbabwe to Zambia

Hi,
My wife and me are planning to travel by car from South Africa through
Zimbabwe to Zambia July coming.
Who can give me some information on the Zimbabwe sitaution . Is it doable
via Messina , Bulawayo towards Vic falls? is it safe ? Can we pay a visit to
Hwange National park?
and of course is it possible with a car hired in south africa to pass the
Zimbabwe and Zambian borders? Which car company and under wht conditions is
that allowed?

any other useful inforimation is ellcome

Thanks Rob Keulemans

Than sk very much for any recent information

Old May 10th, 2004, 07:42 AM
Marc Lurie

At the moment, the biggest problem in Zimbabwe is fuel. You will have
to carry enough fuel to get you from Messina (now called Musina), to
Vic Falls. As far as I know, Vic Falls seldom has a shortage of fuel,
but there is currently little chance of fuel on the way, so you'll
need a range of about 900km.

As far as safety is concerned, if you drive through Zim, you wouldn't
know that there was a crisis in the country. Nothing is likely to
happen to you on the main road.

I can't comment on Hwange currently.

My recommendation would be to go through Botswana. Enter the country
either near Gaborone, or at Martins drift, and then drive up through
Botswana to Kazungula Ferry. At the ferry, cross the Zambezi into
Zambia, and you're about 80km upstream from the Victoria Falls.
There's no shortage of fuel in Botswana.

I can't comment on car hire companies, and cross-border useage.

Regards,

Marc - Johannesburg

Old May 10th, 2004, 08:41 AM
Hans Martens

wrote:
My wife and me are planning to travel by car from South Africa through
Zimbabwe to Zambia July coming.
Who can give me some information on the Zimbabwe sitaution . Is it doable
via Messina , Bulawayo towards Vic falls? is it safe ? Can we pay a visit to
Hwange National park?
and of course is it possible with a car hired in south africa to pass the
Zimbabwe and Zambian borders? Which car company and under wht conditions is
that allowed?

A very good car rental company is Britz. They have fully equipped 4x4's
which are really up to driving through the bush. They can be taken into
Zimbabwe, Botswana and Zambia. But count on about 100 to 150 euros per
day. And of course they use a lot of fuel (1l= 5km) so you will need
some additional jerrycans.

Regards,
Hans

Hans Martens