"One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Old August 21st, 2006, 07:52 AM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
mrtravel[_1_]

Default "One bag" travel, which bag is best?

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message

I once met a Japanese guy walking across the border from Nepal to India
who was traveling with a toothbrush in a plastic bag. That was all his
luggage.

Sure!!

Maybe all he had after being robbed in Nepal?

Or maybe a Sherpa is carrying his luggage.
Old August 21st, 2006, 08:15 AM posted to rec.travel.africa,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.latin-america,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

Calif Bill wrote:
wrote in message
I once met a Japanese guy walking across the border from Nepal to India
who was traveling with a toothbrush in a plastic bag. That was all his
luggage.

Sure!!

Maybe all he had after being robbed in Nepal?

I just hope he didn't try to smuggle any toothpaste across!!

B;

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:35 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Wambat

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on.

Many airlines are now enforcing the old rule that a carryon may not
weigh more than seven kilos. But they will check it if it does. You
may want to be ready to take out anything that you do not want checked.

Why not just wear almost all your clothes on to the plane? If you plan
you can wear your bigger clothes over the smaller clothes. This is
just to get ON to the plane. As soon as the plane as taken off (perhaps
before) you zip to the bathroom and remove everything and put it in a
bag. When you leave you just carry the extra bag with your carry-on
bag. What can they do? You're leaving the plane. For a few minutes
of discomfort, surely its worth it to be able to bring a lot more stuff
with you without the risks or expense of checked luggage. Another idea
is a pack/bag that shrinks to fit carry-on airline specs, yet expands
to much larger dimensions for ease of packing and storage when
traveling by road. Another idea is to have a bag of heavier items hung
around your neck that is the width of your chest/stomach area. This is
under a baggy shirt or light jacket. Another way of sneaking stuff on
the plane. In fact one could rig up a body bag sort of thing that
wraps all the way around you under a loose jacket that could carry a
lot of (non-bulky) weight with properly designed pockets. Certainly a
laptop computer could be hanging on your chest. Remember, its only to
get on the plane. Not for the entire flight. It would be a hassle at
the scanner area of course and would raise a lot of eyebrows.

Check out this guy: he takes 1300 items on his person packed in his
jacket and pants. He's a nut but he's got some great ideas. I wonder
how long it takes them to check 1300 items?
http://ericlefou.net/MES_TRUCS/MESob...ernational.htm
http://ericlefou.net/MES_TRUCS/MESob...ent/photos.htm

Old September 15th, 2008, 03:36 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
erilar

In article 2008091503355843658-replytogroup@pleasethanks,
Wambat wrote:

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on.

Many airlines are now enforcing the old rule that a carryon may not
weigh more than seven kilos. But they will check it if it does. You
may want to be ready to take out anything that you do not want checked.

Why not just wear almost all your clothes on to the plane?

There's a simpler way to do it. The easiest is if you're allowed a purse
or computer bag along with your carry-on: pack heavy things there.
Another to go with that or instead of it: a jacket with lots of big
pockets, or two jackets. I wear a light-weight jacket AND a rain jacket
with good-sized pockets, and they make jackets with a HUGE assortment of
pockets. You don't need many clothes if you're willing to wash socks
and underwear regularly. You can't handwash jeans and get them dry in a
day or two, though 8-) T-shirts, yes, particularly if you wring them in
your towel after you've used it. I've traveled for a month with no
checked luggage.

--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar)

You can't reason with someone whose first line of argument is
that reason doesn't count. --Isaac Asimov

Erilar's Cave Annex: http://www.chibardun.net/~erilarlo*

Old September 15th, 2008, 04:35 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Hatunen

On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 03:35:58 -0500, Wambat
wrote:

[...]

Reading this makes me think of old Laurel and Hardy movies.

Old September 15th, 2008, 09:50 PM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Wambat wrote:

[...]

That's why I never WEAR jeans! Nearly every garment I use for travel is
poly- or poly-cotton knit. They don't wrinkle too badly, and except in
EXTREMELY humid climates, they'll dry overnight, if wrapped in a towel
for a few minutes before hanging them in the shower. (If necessary,
they can be worn while still slightly damp - in hot climates they're
likely to reach that state fairly fast, even if they are dry when you
don them.)
Old September 16th, 2008, 02:25 AM posted to alt.travel,rec.travel.asia,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air
Alan S[_1_]

Wambat wrote:

[...]

I went 'round the world for a couple of months last
March/April with two carry-ons. That easily held all I
needed; the only times I checked luggage was when the
airline restricted it to only one carry-on.

For shorter trips, my wife and I just spent a week in
Melbourne with one carry-on each. The limit was 10kg, but we
only approached that on the trip down because they were full
of presents for the grand-daughter. We each had sufficient
clothing in those to have no need of a laundry over the
week.

Both budget domestic airlines here (Jetstar and Virgin Blue)
now have discount fares for passengers with no checked bags.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
--
http://loraltravel.blogspot.com
Latest: Two Indian Hotels: to Sleep, Perchance...
Old November 23rd, 2010, 08:55 AM
parklandgroupohio parklandgroupohio is offline
Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPSinha View Post
I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.
So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and resistant to dust and water.
A one-bag travel is best for vacations that are of short duration, because you would not need to bring a lot of things. But before deciding if you'd only have one carry on, check the airlines' policy on how much weight is allowed. Some airlines have a weight limit and some even have size requirements.

For carry-ons, I'd go for bags that have shoulder straps. If your hand gets sore from holding too much weight, you can use the strap so your hands can rest. And you don't have to put your bag down when you need to sign something.
Old November 29th, 2010, 03:37 AM
robert01 robert01 is offline
Member

Location: u.k.

Hi

I am going to experiment with doing away with checked luggage and try
traveling with just one carry-on. This will be for a few weeks, a few
countries, everything from planes and trains to back country buses.
So this bag needs to be pretty versatile: strong, light, easy to
organize etc, and resistant to dust and water.

Thanks