Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

Old March 2nd, 2004, 06:54 AM
Terry Russell

Default Air NZ crew heads home alone after LA suicide

"Raffi Balmanoukian" a
wrote in message
news:BC696E24.21516%walkabout@TAKEOUTTHETRASHTOREP LY.ns.sympatico.ca...
in article , Jim Davis

Sr.
at wrote on 3/1/04 10:23 PM:

What I'm trying to say is that the "Estate", if any, that this guy has

left
will probably not be sufficient for his surviving family to live on for

the
rest of their lives. If the estate is sued, the innocent survivors will

be
the ones to suffer. It's not their fault that he decided to take a

header
off the bridge or building.

Agreed, but by the same token, it's not the airline or the pax's fault
either. He could have killed himself in a way that did not impact them.

If
doing so in a way that impacts hundreds of others affects any surviving
family (and you're assuming there is one).....I feel for them but I can't
quite reach. Balancing the equities, the innocent pax/airline deserves

any
resources over those of the alleged widows and orphans.

Probably just wanted to leave on impression, make a splash, paint the town
red,
go out with a bang, and other insensitive remarks.
6 billion people, 100 billion reasons every day, their call,
pity about the bystanders.
If we distinguish only how they self-extinguish, and that only for our
convenience, how can we then expect they care to make it convenient for us?

There will be no resources, fairly easy to prove no responsibility due
to mental state, also likely no insurance for same reason. Then there
are things like disposal and cleanup costs. Sanitation gets high priority.

1.5% of deaths are suicides. Probablity of a suicide increased greatly
amonst those immediately associated. Suicides affect people far more
than accidents or natural causes.
Emergency services see this all the time but the differences is in
preparation and expectation. A rock that treated 5 heart-attacks and
3 car crashes today may fold when they find a pet budgie dead at home,
then have chicken for tea.

We don't know what other circumstances may have prompted the
management decision. Their call.
e.g. the odds of a similar recent event with an associate are not
insignificant

Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:45 AM
Mr Scebe

"nobody" wrote in message
Roland Perry wrote:

For the crew, wouldn't it have been better to have *some* passengers which
would have helped take their mind off the trauma ? For instance, take 50%

of
the scheduled pax, and add a psychiatrist to talk to crew between the

service
and during crew rest periods.

Not at all. By having no passengers on-board it would have allowed the crew
to at least get some rest knowing that they could deal with matters in
privacy - they would have taken seats in First and Business Class, most
would have slept as much as possible. Having passengers on board - even a
few - would have meant that they couldn't just spread out and "go tropo" if
required.

Good on Air NZ in this instance. It's a far cry from how this would have
been handled even a few years ago.

--
Mr Scebe
Losers always whine about their 'best'.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 07:50 AM
Mr Scebe

"Alan" wrote in message

Yeah, I can see it in the training manual now:

"Procedures to be Followed When a Human Body Falls from the Sky onto
Cabin Crew Transport.

1. Remove body.
2. Clean windscreen thoroughly before proceeding.
3 ...."

4. Check appearance.

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:03 AM
CollectorNZ

Terry Russell wrote:

at wrote on 3/1/04 10:23 PM:

[...]

Just how many people jump of Motorway Bridges in LA

Try finding the figures

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:50 AM
pix

Default Sheep shaggers head home alone after LA suicide

"Sean" wrote in message
news:jpm740po89mrgvhs290l31ujtonkr7fet9@newsgroups ...
Raffi Balmanoukian a
wrote:

I, for one, would have been completely ticked. Sure, it sounds

insensitive,
but crap happens. Do they cancel a flight if the pilot's dog dies? No?

would think that would affect the pilot a lot more than some stranger

while
you were in the wrong place at the wrong time.

It was imperative that the sheep shaggers be flown home immediately to
be with their fluffy white sheep. It has been demonstrated in studies
that they recover faster whilst in the company of their romantic
partners.

Plonk!

/pix

Old March 2nd, 2004, 08:54 AM
CollectorNZ

Mr Scebe wrote:

"Alan" wrote in message
.. .

Yeah, I can see it in the training manual now:

"Procedures to be Followed When a Human Body Falls from the Sky onto
Cabin Crew Transport.

1. Remove body.
2. Clean windscreen thoroughly before proceeding.
3 ...."

4. Check appearance.

And do not alarm passangers or they will demand free stuff