passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

Old June 11th, 2010, 10:56 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

Default passport needed or not for Caribbean cruise?

In article , Jack Hamilton
wrote:

Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.

It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
passport card.

--
Charles
Old June 11th, 2010, 02:46 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles wrote:

In article , Jack Hamilton
wrote:

Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.

It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
passport card.

Which is...?Let me help you.

The U.S. Passport Card can be used to enter the United States from
Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda at land border crossings or
sea ports-of-entry. it is a matter of it being more convenient and
less expensive than a passport book.

You're welcome.
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:32 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Kurt Ullman :

In article ,
Tom K wrote:

Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

I've actually used the passport more often within the US. At least in
Indiana, it replaces two of the pieces of paper you have to have that to
get your driver's license. It is also the only thing you need to prove
you can legally work in the US. Nice thing for those times when someone
requires a second form of ID.

To take my ARRT exam i was required to present two forms of photo ID,
including at least one government issued (WTF other type of "ID" is
there?). Or a currently valid US passport.

For me it's a lot quicker to walk through security at the airport. Not
so much leaving Texas, but let's say I'm in Indianapolis the day after
the US Gran Prix (oh wait, that's in Austin in 2012, sorry Phony
Tony). The guard doesn't have to look all over trying to find my
name. It's all in the same location. A minutes? Maybe. 40 trips a
year times 2 minutes = almost an hour and a half of my life.
--

- dillon I am not invalid

Warick: "Who brings a gun to a knife fight?"
Gil: "The winner?"
Old June 11th, 2010, 05:36 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake Tom K :

On 6/7/10 5:00 PM, Ohioguy wrote:
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never needed
one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need one, and
most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/official...t/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll be
flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

The passport card is pretty much a waste. Just get a regular passport.
It's not like the cost is that different. But just suppose... let's
say you twist an ankle or something like that, and need to fly back to
the US. Or you miss the ship because of an excursion... or whatever.
But let's just say you need to fly back for some reason half way through
the cruise. A passport lets you.

Or let's say your wife likes it... and next year wants to go on a
Mediterranean cruise... you're set with the passport.

--Tom

Okay, this doesn't apply anymore, but back around 98 Continental ran a
special. $99 each way Houston to Paris. Limited number of seats on a
limited number of flights, offer popped up at midnight and flights
started leaving in two days. Can't do that without a passport.

I decided to go to Australia with Carol on a Monday evening. Leaving
the following Sunday. I had my visa aobut a minute after I booked the
flights ($999 LAX-SYD). Can't do that without a passport.

I have a friend who flew to Calgary last year for a dog show (one of
her dogs is rated #2 in the country in his class in Agility). CDTWAP.

And so on and so forth. Or, to quote the late, great Yul Bryner, et
cetera, et cetera, et cetera.

Old June 11th, 2010, 05:38 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "LVTravel" :

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
My wife was getting on me about getting a passport. I've never needed
one before, because when I went to Canada you still didn't need one, and
most of my travel is inside the US.

http://cruises.about.com/cs/official...t/passport.htm

At first I read the above article, which has no date but is still
"dated", evidently, because it said no passport is needed for cruises to
the Caribbean. It mentioned a "Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative" or
somesuch card, which I guess has now been replaced with a "US Passport
Card".

Anybody ever used a "US Passport Card" ?? It is unlikely that I'll be
flying to another country, so that would probably be fine with me.

Even if you do not need a passport to cruise if something happened and you
had to fly home in an emergency you would have great issues in getting back
into the US. The passport is necessary to fly into the US.

In the event that you need to fly back to the US, TSA can hold you for
up to three business days while they determine your status. If you
actually need to be hospitalized you'll go, but you'll have a "guest"
with you. And your family will get to sit around in a room in (not
at) the airport.

Old June 12th, 2010, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Ari

"Ohioguy" wrote in message
[...]

Three days min. If they decide to invoke a security status, as long as
they want.
--
Ari's Fun Times!
http://tr.im/hrFG
Old June 12th, 2010, 01:00 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Jack Hamilton[_1_]

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Jack Hamilton
wrote:

Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card isn't
valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer to the US
than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card is valid.

It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
passport card.

"The passport card is the wallet-size travel document that can only be
used to re-enter the United States at land border-crossings and sea
ports-of-entry from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean, and Bermuda. The card
provides a less expensive, smaller, and convenient alternative to the
passport book for those who travel frequently to these destinations by
land or by sea."

The restriction to Canada, Mexico, Bermuda, and some islands in the
Caribbean (not all of them) is entirely arbitrary.

There is regular ferry service (in the summer) between Canada and France
- it takes about an hour. So why should the passport card not be good
for that?

Old June 12th, 2010, 01:48 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Jack Hamilton
wrote:

On Fri, 11 Jun 2010 05:56:31 -0400, Charles
wrote:

In article , Jack Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

For the same reason it can't be used for air flights.

"The passport card was designed for the specific needs of northern and
southern U.S. border communities with residents that cross the border
frequently by land. The passport book is the only document approved for
international travel by air."

That is the context of why the card exists. It is not intended for
general use to replace passports.

The card is intended for residents of border areas that frequently
travel back and forth over the border. The border can be over land or
water. Of course there will always be smart alecks who look for
loopholes and to stretch it beyond it's intended use but don't be
surprised if doing that comes back and bites you.

By the way saying there is one hour ferry service between Canada and
France because there are ferries to the French islands of Saint-Pierre
& Miquelon that are off the coast of Newfoundland is cute but cute is
all it is.

--
Charles
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Bill[_1_]

On 6/11/2010 5:56 AM, Charles wrote:
In , Jack
Hamilton wrote:

Also Bermuda and some Caribbean islands. Oddly, the passport card
isn't valid for sea entry into France even though France is closer
to the US than are some of the Caribbean islands for which the card
is valid.

It seems odd to you because you misunderstand the purpose of the
passport card.

There was a story on the local (NYC) news last week about a musician who
needed an emergency passport renewal because his had expired and he had
a last minute job to get to. So they hooked the guy up with a passport
expediting company who did it for the normal $135 State Department
expedite fee (I assume they normally charge a sizable fee which was not
disclosed). What I found strange was that they recommended getting the
passport card IN ADDITION to the passport. This was their explanation:

The U.S. Passport Card was created by the State Department for those
looking to travel to Mexico, Canada or the Caribbean, by land or sea
only. You do not need a passport if you're driving there or taking
the cruise. You cannot fly with the passport card. It also serves as
a valid form of identification and proof of citizenship. So if you're
abroad and God forbid you lose your passport, you will be able to go
to a U.S. Embassy and submit your U.S. Passport Card as your proof of
citizenship. That's extremely helpful in your obtaining a replacement
passport." There is an extra $20 fee for that.

The guy paid for it. Has anyone out there ever gotten a passport card
for this purpose?

Here's the link to the story:

http://weblogs.wpix.com/news/helpmeh...without_1.html

Bill
Old June 12th, 2010, 02:45 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Bill
wrote:

There was a story on the local (NYC) news last week about a musician who
needed an emergency passport renewal because his had expired and he had
a last minute job to get to. So they hooked the guy up with a passport
expediting company who did it for the normal $135 State Department
expedite fee (I assume they normally charge a sizable fee which was not
disclosed). What I found strange was that they recommended getting the
passport card IN ADDITION to the passport. This was their explanation:

They got an extra $20 fee for that. That is the explanation.....

--
Charles