Passports needed for cruise to Caribbean?

Old July 25th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Default Passports needed for cruise to Caribbean?

We are going on a Carnival cruise in August. We are all U.S citizens
and have passports. But my daughters' passports are expiring this month
and I don't think I will have the time to get them renewed before we
leave.

We will be taking the passports anyway. Are they required for the
Caribbean?
Can we use the expired passports for my daughters? (Any alternate
document?)
Would this be a problem while re-entering the U.S at Miami?
What should I say if immigration does not like the expired passport?

The travel.state.gov site does not have a straight answer.
Thanks
Mark Sabatini

Old July 25th, 2005, 06:35 PM
Juliana L Holm

I disagree that travel.state.gov does not have a straight answer.
Their page http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html states that
as of:

"December 31, 2005 - Passport or other accepted document for all travel (air/
sea) to or from the Caribbean, Bermuda, Central and South America. "

On the page at http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2225.html
they define other accepted documents as SENTRI, NEXUS, FAST program cards,
and anticipate that the BCC will also be accpted for citizens of Mexico.

But that is December 2005. Right now the old rules are in effect, which
means you need EITHER a passport or a picture ID and Birth Certificate
ofr everyone sailing. I would go and do an expedited passport, were I you,
otherwise, make sure you have picture ID and a Birth Certificate for both
of them.

Julie

--
Julie
**********
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:26 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 17:32:44 GMT, Karen wrote:

What does your TA advise?

Move to Belize.
--
"We pay through the nose for an enormous joke-of-a-government, let it push
us around, and then wonder how all those assholes got in there."
Old July 25th, 2005, 08:48 PM

I called Carnival about this. They say that EITHER a current or expired
passport is fine.
The travel.state.gov site says that a passport is needed starting
12/2005. But what about now? Is an expired passport ok inlieu of a
picture ID?
What if I carry the expired passport and birth cert?

What is a picture ID for a kid anyway?
Thanks.
Mark Sabatini

Old July 26th, 2005, 12:44 AM
Kath G

No you dont need passports i went on cruise in feb and didnt need one..
Your welcome have a blast .. i had my first cruise this yr and so ready
to go back... Kathy

Old July 26th, 2005, 01:57 PM
Chrissy Cruiser

On Mon, 25 Jul 2005 19:44:31 -0400, Kath G wrote:

i had my first cruise this yr and so ready
to go back... Kathy

Hooked, addictive, so sorry.
--
"A lot of things wrong with society today are directly attributable to the
fact that the people who make the laws are sexually maladjusted." -Frank
Old July 26th, 2005, 05:32 PM
piperut

Karen wrote:
wrote:

We are going on a Carnival cruise in August. We are all U.S citizens
and have passports. But my daughters' passports are expiring this month
and I don't think I will have the time to get them renewed before we
leave.

We will be taking the passports anyway. Are they required for the
Caribbean?
Can we use the expired passports for my daughters? (Any alternate
document?)
Would this be a problem while re-entering the U.S at Miami?
What should I say if immigration does not like the expired passport?

The travel.state.gov site does not have a straight answer.
Thanks
Mark Sabatini

What does your TA advise?

Hi Karen, others,

Their travel agent is not really an autority on what is required for
travel. If you want the real scope on it go to the state department's
website:

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cbpmc/cbpmc_2224.html

That has the implemation dates of the new rules. So for a vacation in
August of 2005 the old rules are going to apply. Birth certificate and
government issued I.D. After December a valid passport.

After December of 2006, a valid passport for travel to Canada and
Mexico.
A couple friend applied for passports in May, and they just arrived
about a week or so ago, so the State Department is a bit back logged
with passport applications right now.

When you apply for a passport you should plan ahead.

roland