Trip report CX/VN: AMS - HKG - HAN - HKG - AMS

Old January 19th, 2004, 08:55 PM
Sjoerd

Default Trip report CX/VN: AMS - HKG - HAN - HKG - AMS

Business trip to Hanoi

Wednesday 7 January
CX 270 Amsterdam - Hong Kong, Airbus 340-300
Scheduled 13:20 - 08:00*, actual 13:44 - 07:55*

Train to Schiphol. Pick up my ticket and go to Cathay Pacific check-in.
Relatively long lines for economy class check-in, nobody for business and
first class check-in. I reserved seat 11 C and forget to check if I get the
right seat on my boarding pass. They can't give me a business class boarding
pass for HKG - HAN and advice me to go to the transit desk in Hong Kong.
Security / passport control is a non-event as usual. (3 minutes) Do some tax
free shopping (bottles of jenever as gifts for our clients for Vietnamese
(lunar) new year) Have time for a drink in the lounge, check my boarding
pass and see that they gave me 12 D.

Go to the gate and ask if I can still get 11C or 15C. Upon seeing my
business class boarding pass, the gate manager (a Dutch Chinese man) takes
over from the more junior gate agent. He looks into the system and starts
smiling. I have already seen a first class boarding pass waiting for
somebody, and know immediately that it must be mine. Anyway, the guy starts
a story about travel agents telling their clients that seat xxx has been
reserved while in fact they never reserve the seat with the airline, and how
the airline than gets the complaint when the seat is no longer available. I
can't give you 11C or 15C, he says, still smiling, but perhaps seat 1G will
do?, handing me the first class boarding pass. I decide not to be a
difficult passenger and accept seat 1G.

Full flight. 8 first class seats on CX's 340-300's, 1 - 2 - 1 seating and
two rows only. I have one of the two middle seats. Take off is just a bit
late, and soon we are on our way via Northern Netherlands - Northern
Germany - South of Copenhagen - Southern Sweden - Estonia - just South of
St. Petersburg - North of Moscow - lots of Eastern Russia and Siberia -
Western Mongolia - China to Hong Kong.

Lunch is served which is:

Caviar and Balik Delight
Oscietra Caviar
and
Balik Salmon "Tsar Nicolaj" served with Warm New Potatoes and Creme Fraiche

(I eat the caviar and wonder why people like it. It is just an ordinary
salty fish taste IMHO. I would never pay for it. However, the salmon is
delicious)

Soup
Spicy Pumpkin Cream Soup (delicious)

Salad
Mixed Salad with Cherry Tomato and Mozzarella served with Pesto Dressing

Main courses
Beef fillet .........(not for me)
Chicken breast.........(not for me)
Mushroom filled ravioli.........(not for me)
Steamed Halibut with Ginger, Mushrooms and Black Beans with Steamed Rice and
Pak Choy (nice)

Cheese Board (I skip)

Dessert Selection
Creme Brulee
Chocolate Mascarpone Cake (my choice and it is great!)
Strawberry Ripple Yoghurt, Pecan and Caramel Ice Cream

Tea and Coffee

Pralines and Cookies

And I wash everything away with Olivier Leflaive Puligny Montrachet 1998
Cote de Beaune Burgundy.

Table is huge and the linen is nice too. Just too bad that one of the
(metal) knives that I get still has a large piece of dried food on it.

After dinner it is 4:30 PM Amsterdam time and the flight attendants decide
we need to sleep. We get a toiletries bag (they ran out of the male ones so
I get a female one) and a PJ. (no more L or XL so they give me a M which I
don't even try) We also get a nice clean duvet. Lights are switched off and
the crew disappears.

I watch two movies: Runaway Jury with John Cusack and Gene Hackman, and
There's Something about Mary with Cameron Diaz and Ben Stiller. OK movies
but based on 4 returns AMS - HKG in the last 5 months I don't think CX have
a very good choice in movies.

I had expected to be pampered non-stop in first class, but after dinner and
until breakfast the crew is largely invisible. Disappointing.

After the movies I am getting a bit tired and I manage to sleep 3 hours.
Skip breakfast as the choices are not very special (eggs, noodles with pork,
or cold cuts) and the meals on Vietnam Airlines are always very good.

Arrive in HKG and find the CX transfer desk. Ask if they can give me a
business class boarding pass. "You want to use your miles?" she asks. I say
"no, because I have a business class ticket". She studies the ticket and I
have to show her the box "fare basis C". She is still not convinced and
calls a supervisor. Then she needs to fax the ticket to the supervisor and 5
minutes later I have my business class boarding pass.

Have time to go to the lounge "The Pier" and have a coffee. When I arrive at
the gate around 8:40 there is nobody. Very empty flight.

Thursday 8 January
VN/CX 793 Hong Kong - Hanoi, Airbus 320, operated by Vietnam Airlines
Scheduled 09:00 - 10:00, actual 09:20 - 09:58

Smooth flight. Have a beef with rice brunch which as usual in VN business
class is excellent. Landing at 09:58, at the gate at 10:01 and via
immigration, bag pick-up, customs and currency exchange in the taxi at
10:16.

Friday 16 January
VN/CX 792 Hanoi - Hong Kong, Airbus 320, operated by Vietnam Airlines
Scheduled 19:10 - 21:55, actual 19:30 - 21:58

All flights between Hanoi and Hong Kong are VN / CX codeshares operated by
Vietnam Airlines. This means that often you can't get a reservation in
business class because VN will keep half of the C class seats "reserved"
until the last moment before they release them to passengers holding a CX
ticket. There are four of us (colleagues) on this flight tonight and 3
manage to get a C class seat, one has to stay in Y.

Check-in is quick, pay the USD 14 airport tax, proceed via passport control
and security check to the lounge and have a few wodka / oranges and talk
with the colleagues. A VN check-in agent enters the lounge and asks one of
my colleagues if "you can please help me" because "there is another
passenger who wants to be in business class and he is difficult" and "can
you please sit in economy class". My colleague gives the only correct answer
"I can be difficult, too" and the girl disappears.

Uneventful flight with very good food again:

Smoked Salmon Roll with Fish Eggs

Choice of:

Fillet of Beef from Australia Steak, Buttered Potatoes, Snow Bean and Carrot
OR
Stirfried Prawn with Onion, Stirfried Noodles, Poached Snow Bean
OR
Steamed Rice, Duck in Orange Sauce, Sauteed Mustard Leaves

Fresh Fruit Slice

Tea and Coffee

I have the prawns which are excellent and my colleague tells me that the
duck is excellent too.

In Hong Kong our temperature is checked and the two colleagues who couldn't
get a boarding pass HKG - AMS in Hanoi (for unknown reasons) go to the
transfer desk.

I go to the lounge which is very crowded. No available seats in the business
section and I sneak into the first class section where fortunately nobody
check my boarding pass. Read three newspapers and when it is time to go to
the gate (almost two hours later) I find my colleagues who tell me that they
just got their boarding passes. The flight is overbooked and the agent
offered them a downgrade (with no compensation offered!) and later a
re-route via Paris. They refused and told her that they have OK tickets and
reservations and they should find another solution. In the end, they get on
the flight in C class.

Saturday 17 January
CX 271 Hong Kong - Amsterdam, A340-300
Scheduled 00:15 - 06:30, actual 00:25 - 05:59

I have a busy day ahead of me, have already eaten so immediately after take
off I hit the bed and try to sleep. I want to sleep badly and ofcourse now I
can't. After two and a half hours of non-sleep and twisting and turning, I
decide to watch a movie "Under the Tuscan Sun" with Raoul Bova and Diane
Lane. After the movie I have a few glasses of wine and I manage to sleep 3
hours. When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny) and "Queer Eye for a Straight Guy".
Have good Dim Sum for breakfast.

Arrival at a far G gate in AMS, bag is quick, and in the taxi at 06:30.

Sjoerd

Old January 20th, 2004, 06:05 AM
Miguel Cruz

Sjoerd wrote:
When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny)

I hope this isn't an indication of the level of truthfulness in the rest of
the trip report.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 20th, 2004, 06:13 AM
Sjoerd

"Miguel Cruz" schreef in bericht
Sjoerd wrote:
When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny)

I hope this isn't an indication of the level of truthfulness in the rest

of
the trip report.

Don't you believe CX show episodes of "Are you being served?" on board, or
don't you think those episodes are funny? I recently read that in some
British poll the show made the Top 10 of funniest TV series ever.

Sjoerd

Old January 20th, 2004, 09:44 AM
Miss L. Toe

Sjoerd wrote:
When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny)

I hope this isn't an indication of the level of truthfulness in the rest

of
the trip report.

Don't you believe CX show episodes of "Are you being served?" on board,

or
don't you think those episodes are funny? I recently read that in some
British poll the show made the Top 10 of funniest TV series ever.

I don't believe the episodes are funny either - mildly amusing the first
time you see them - but totally boring and predictable after that.

Some of us would prefer Fawlty Towers with our Cavier :-)

Anything but Mr Bean :-)

P.S. The poll was rigged

Old January 20th, 2004, 10:08 AM
Miguel Cruz

Sjoerd wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" schreef:
Sjoerd wrote:
When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny)

I hope this isn't an indication of the level of truthfulness in the rest
of the trip report.

Don't you believe CX show episodes of "Are you being served?" on board,
or don't you think those episodes are funny?

I have no doubt that they show it. It's the funniness I would call into
question.

I recently read that in some British poll the show made the Top 10 of
funniest TV series ever.

I remember that one - it made the Top 10 of funniest British hoax polls
ever.

miguel
--
Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
Old January 20th, 2004, 06:03 PM
Sjoerd

Sjoerd wrote:
"Miguel Cruz" schreef:
Sjoerd wrote:
When I wake up I watch an episode of "Are you being served" (always
funny)

I hope this isn't an indication of the level of truthfulness in the

rest
of the trip report.

Don't you believe CX show episodes of "Are you being served?" on board,
or don't you think those episodes are funny?

I have no doubt that they show it. It's the funniness I would call into
question.

It is ofcourse totally predictable, but I still find it funny. A good mix of
AbFab, Are you being served?, Allo Allo, Fawlty Towers, Yes, Minister, Dad's
Army, Keeping Up Appearances and a few other British comedies should be
obilgatory on every IFE system.

Sjoerd

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:35 PM
Peter L

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
[...]

I don't know what you are expecting, someone to massage you while you are
sleeping? What kind of "pampering" do you expect during sleep time? (ok,
don't answer that.)

Old January 20th, 2004, 08:43 PM
Sjoerd

"Peter L" schreef in bericht
I don't know what you are expecting, someone to massage you while you are

sleeping? What kind of "pampering" do you expect during sleep time? (ok,
don't answer that.)

It was *not* sleep time. It was 4:30 PM. 7 of the 8 passengers were not
sleeping. I was expecting a drink, some snacks and a chat perhaps.

Sjoerd

Old January 20th, 2004, 09:07 PM
Jenn

In article ,
"Peter L" wrote:

"Sjoerd" wrote in message
[...]

on my trips on Singepore airlines, they come by with water every hour or
so -- and a snack middle of the night which is tucked into the seat
pocket if you are asleep -- i.e. non disruptive service -- and this is
coach
Old January 20th, 2004, 10:00 PM
Binyamin Dissen

On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 12:35:20 -0800 "Peter L" wrote:

:"Sjoerd" wrote in message
[...]

Sjoerd didn't mention if the FA's were young and male.

I have never flown International FC.

But in BC I really don't want the FA's approaching me all the time. If I want
something I either press the button and they come or I go and get it.

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com