tipping?

Old November 16th, 2004, 02:00 AM
LT

Default tipping?

We're doing AIs in Cancun over Thanksgiving. What's the latst skinny on
tipping? Who to tip and how much? Also, do we need any Pesos or are
Dollars OK?
Thanks
LT
Old November 17th, 2004, 01:49 AM
Rita Daggett

"LT" wrote in message
We're doing AIs in Cancun over Thanksgiving. What's the latst skinny on
tipping? Who to tip and how much? Also, do we need any Pesos or are
Dollars OK?
Thanks
LT

Dont know about Cancun specifically but there are two schools of thought
about tipping at AIs, and one of them is that you shouldnt do it. Some AIs
specifically 'forbid' it but unfortunately I suspect the 'American way' is
taking over and now tipping at AIs is becoming more 'expected'/accepted.

--
Rita Daggett

Old November 18th, 2004, 02:50 AM
Mike H

My $.02 (USD) worth....

We average going to two AIs per year, and have been to probably 15
different ones over the years. My feeling is:

Money given in appreciation of unusual or special service is a tip.

Money given in expectation of better future service is a bribe.

I do not bribe. I do occasionally tip for unusual or special
services.

Mike

Old November 19th, 2004, 01:48 AM
JS Dude

LT wrote:
We're doing AIs in Cancun over Thanksgiving. What's the latst skinny on
tipping? Who to tip and how much? Also, do we need any Pesos or are
Dollars OK?
Thanks

LT

Personally, I think it is fine to "bribe." If you don't want to, you
certainly don't have to but it will be appreciated and will get you more
attentive service, all other things being equal. The employees at these
places make very little money and the price of living is expensive. I like
interacting with the employees, and if they are nice and friendly then my
wife and I like to make their lives just a little bit better. And by doing
so, most will try to make your life just a little bit better also.. What is
wrong with that?

You have paid for an all-inclusive vacation. Do whatever makes YOU feel
good. We budget for tipping.

We used to only tip on the back end of a trip but not anymore. It works
for us.

Enjoy your holiday.
Old November 19th, 2004, 04:19 AM
Mike H

In a "perfect world", that would be OK... not my preference,
but OK... However I've seen a number of cases where the staff
starts expecting tips/bribes before performing expected services.
In the worst of cases, I've seen cases of staff "bending" the
rules for guests with a $5.00 in their hand. At one DR resort
you might not get a sailboat (even if reserved) if you didn't
have the right "tip" handy. That might be the extreme case,
but I have seen it....
Mike

Old November 20th, 2004, 05:07 PM
Sam

I totally agree with Mike. If tipping is required or expected for
better service, we clearly would go on a cruise instead. Yes, the
average workers in Mexico make very little money. In fact, we are
average workers too by American standards. So, when we chose to go on
an AI vacation, we do so because tipping is already included. Sure,
we may earn more than the hotel workers in countries such as Mexico
but we don't make more than the average person here. Money is tight
for us too. A vacation is big reward for us. I don't flaunt my wealth
indirectly or indirectly when I go to an AI . If I do receive
outstanding service I will tip, But, more often than not, I tip out
of guilt more than anything else. Fundamentally, I feel this type
guilt is wrong.
Old November 20th, 2004, 05:11 PM
David E. Bath

In article ,
Mike H writes:
In a "perfect world", that would be OK... not my preference,
but OK... However I've seen a number of cases where the staff
starts expecting tips/bribes before performing expected services.
In the worst of cases, I've seen cases of staff "bending" the
rules for guests with a $5.00 in their hand. At one DR resort
you might not get a sailboat (even if reserved) if you didn't
have the right "tip" handy. That might be the extreme case,
but I have seen it....
Mike

Another thing to consider is that some AIs enforce the "no tipping"
rule so strongly that employees may be fired for accepting tips.

--
David Bath - Moderator for rec.travel.resorts.all-inclusive