Where to book packages on the internet?

Old November 4th, 2008, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

Default Where to book packages on the internet?

Hi all

I am in the process of booking the airfare and hotel for a cruise my
family is taking out Los Angeles this coming February. I have noticed
while researching prices on Expedia that I can do better by booking
the airfare and hotel together, as a package, rather than separately.
Just wondering if there are any sites other than Expedia that allow
you to book a hotel room as part of a package for only part of the
trip, rather than in my case 8 days. Most seem to make book it for the
entire trip length. Expedia's price is very good, but I was hoping to
compare prices at some other sites.

Thanks
M. Graham
Old November 4th, 2008, 08:56 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
Jim Davis[_1_]

wrote in message
Hi all

I am in the process of booking the airfare and hotel for a cruise my
family is taking out Los Angeles this coming February. I have noticed
while researching prices on Expedia that I can do better by booking
the airfare and hotel together, as a package, rather than separately.
Just wondering if there are any sites other than Expedia that allow
you to book a hotel room as part of a package for only part of the
trip, rather than in my case 8 days. Most seem to make book it for the
entire trip length. Expedia's price is very good, but I was hoping to
compare prices at some other sites.

Thanks
M. Graham

Usually the cruise package has pretty good prices. I've found, form my
business travel, that you can get good prices directly from the airline &
hotel web sites. As far as the airfare, where will you be leaving on your
flight to LA?

Old November 4th, 2008, 09:28 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
Rog'

wrote:
I am in the process of booking the airfare and hotel for
a cruise my family is taking out Los Angeles this coming
February. I have noticed while researching prices on
Expedia that I can do better by booking the airfare and
hotel together, as a package, rather than separately.
Just wondering if there are any sites other than Expedia
that allow you to book a hotel room as part of a package
for only part of the trip, rather than in my case 8 days.
Most seem to make book it for the entire trip length.

--------------
While you can save some $$ this way, you can often save
as much, if not more, by going to the travel-providers' own
websites (the airline and hotel) to see if you can put your
own "package" together for less money. Often booking
directly saves you money over that of a travel agency like
Expedia.

IOW, if Expedia offers you airline "x" and hotel "z", you
would likely do at least as well, if not better, by going to
the website for airline "x" and hotel "z." Each may offer
you a discount or a package that's less than Expedia's.

A caveat about packages: The prepayments are often
non-refundable, so you have to be damned sure that you
are going to show up, or better yet, buy travel insurance.

Old November 4th, 2008, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 4, 2:28*pm, "Rog'" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Thanks, but the airfare (CPR-LGB Feb20-Mar1) alone is, as much as the
package (airfare and 2 night hotels). I was just looking to see if
there was another site that offered the ability to book a hotel stay
for just a few days, rather than for my entire trip, as part of a
package. So far it looks like Expedia is only service that offers this
feature.

M. Graham
Old November 5th, 2008, 04:44 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
Calif Bill

wrote in message
On Nov 4, 2:28 pm, "Rog'" wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Try www.kayak.com Checks lots of sites and seems to come up with the best
prices.

Old November 5th, 2008, 05:35 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
Dillon Pyron[_2_]

[Default] Thus spake "Rog'" :

wrote:
I am in the process of booking the airfare and hotel for
a cruise my family is taking out Los Angeles this coming
February. I have noticed while researching prices on
Expedia that I can do better by booking the airfare and
hotel together, as a package, rather than separately.
Just wondering if there are any sites other than Expedia
that allow you to book a hotel room as part of a package
for only part of the trip, rather than in my case 8 days.
Most seem to make book it for the entire trip length.

--------------
While you can save some $$ this way, you can often save
as much, if not more, by going to the travel-providers' own
websites (the airline and hotel) to see if you can put your
own "package" together for less money. Often booking
directly saves you money over that of a travel agency like
Expedia.

Most of the airlines now claim that you can't get a better price by
using one of the booking engines. In fact, Continental points out
that they don't charge a booking fee, which happens with Priceline and
the others.

IOW, if Expedia offers you airline "x" and hotel "z", you
would likely do at least as well, if not better, by going to
the website for airline "x" and hotel "z." Each may offer
you a discount or a package that's less than Expedia's.

Also, Expedia and the others may tell you that a hotel is sold out,
when, in truth, it's just that they don't have any rooms left.

A caveat about packages: The prepayments are often
non-refundable, so you have to be damned sure that you
are going to show up, or better yet, buy travel insurance.

Boy, have I heard some stories from people who found that out the hard
way. AND, if you buy the insurance before you book the air and hotel,
the company won't pay for the cancellation. You can buy insurance for
each piece, but it will cost you more (the incremental price is less
than the initial price, you pay for their profits with the first
dollar, not the last).

Oh yeah, and watch what's being quoted. Priceline in particular is
notorious for "forgetting" to add taxes until you're pretty much
committed.

Old November 5th, 2008, 02:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected][_1_]

On Nov 5, 12:25*am, "Graham Harrison"
wrote:
I was just looking to see if there was another site that offered the
ability to book a hotel stay
for just a few days, rather than for my entire trip, as part of a
package. So far it looks like Expedia is only service that offers this
feature.
M. Graham

Orbitz?

Sorry, but I can not see how I can do this. As I have stated before is
the only site that allows you to book a package without booking the
hotel for the entire length of the trip. If you can do this with
Orbitz, great, but I can not see how.

M. Graham
Old November 5th, 2008, 06:09 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
Susette

wrote:
I was just looking to see if there was another site that offered the
ability to book a hotel stay
for just a few days, rather than for my entire trip, as part of a
package. So far it looks like Expedia is only service that offers this
feature.
M. Graham

Orbitz?

Sorry, but I can not see how I can do this. As I have stated before is
the only site that allows you to book a package without booking the
hotel for the entire length of the trip. If you can do this with
Orbitz, great, but I can not see how.

M. Graham

I suggest you call your travel agent. They have providers that can
package air and Hotel if it is in a destination that is high traffic
and possibly save you $$. When using Expedia, Orbitz travelocity, the
issue is with service and the nonrefundability/change with this type
of purchasing.
I can not believe the calls I receive from people I do not even know
calling for help after they used these services. But check with your
local Travel Agency and see if they can save you $$$$
Old November 5th, 2008, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.usa-canada
My Cat's Pink Dick

On Wed, 5 Nov 2008 10:09:15 -0800 (PST), Susette wrote:

I can not believe the calls I receive from people I do not even know
calling for help after they used these services.

Clue - take your number under "Call Me, I Am A Moron 2" out of the
Yellow Pages.
--
pLeEsE mEaT mY oWNer; sEnDs MoNIeS
http://s7y.us/32o