Avoid Delta and Atlanta

Old July 26th, 2006, 01:41 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Padraig Breathnach

Default Draconian vacation policies for US slave workers

"JohnT" wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .

It's rather like asking whether 2 feet of water or 4 feet of water are
preferable in the streets of New Orleans. The only acceptable level
of water is zero.

What about in Venice?

The Venetians don't like water in their streets; they wish it would
remain in the canals.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
Old July 26th, 2006, 01:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
David A Rose

Default David A Rose 39 Deacons Hill Road Elstree Borehamwood Herts WD6 3HZ 0208 9534648

Padraig Breathnach yazdi:
"JohnT" wrote:

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
.. .

It's rather like asking whether 2 feet of water or 4 feet of water are
preferable in the streets of New Orleans. The only acceptable level
of water is zero.

What about in Venice?

The Venetians don't like water in their streets; they wish it would
remain in the canals.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED
My travel writing: http://www.iol.ie/~draoi/

You suck black cock, so does your mother.

Old July 26th, 2006, 01:44 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected][_1_]

Default Heating, cooling, and popular delusions and manias

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:18:29 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to orange flamingo

For some reason it seems most humans don't seem to mind the heat, but
are scared to death of even a little cold.

I've lived most of my life in the American South. I hate the heat,
and anything over 80F is hot to me. I love the cold, but not below
freezing (32F). However, I seem to be in the minority.

count me in (and my wife), except below freezing is fine for some
things, where snow is desirable, like hill walking. I find damp
weather just above zero to be as unpleasant as temps above 80F,
while below zero eliminates humidity.

Hear, hear! Damp cold is the worst. I grew up in Washington DC, and
it's really bad there. But the politicians deserve it.
Old July 26th, 2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Dave Frightens Me

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 09:24:47 +0100, The Reid
wrote:

Following up to Dave Frightens Me

You do get used to it after a while. It helps if you stop thinking
about it,

hard to do if your clothes are sticking to you. There's no
getting away from the fact its easy to combat cold with good
clothing but there's no way of combating heat. I love climbing
mountains in snow and cold, in summer heat its an exhausting slog
+ the air quality and sun angle usually preclude worthwhile
photography.

Neither hot nor cold bothers me too much. The sweating thing can be an
issue if you have to exert yourself, but I avoid that here.

Sitting around in the shade with a drink ogling scantily clad
girls is OK though.

I do it on a daily basis. I managed to convince my wife that looking
at womens breasts for 20 mins a day will add 5 years onto my life.
She's not altogether convinced!
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com
Old July 26th, 2006, 03:19 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe
Sarah Banick

"Gregory Morrow" wrote in message
ups.com...
I've seen this COUNTLESS times, e.g. in offices, restos, bars, stores,
buses, even on an Amtrak train between St. Louis and Chicago. In the
latter case some airhead chick in a skimpy tube top was complaining,
"I'm COOOOOOOOOLD...". The conductor adjusted the temp to her
satisfaction, which of course resulted in the rest of us in the packed
- full carriage sweltering (it was a steamy July day).

Seems to me that she was only person properly dressed for steamy July day.

When I worked in downtown Atlanta, we loved to see all the lawyers etc. go
out to lunch with their suit jackets and long sleeved shirts when it was 95
degrees (in case they ran into another lawyer, they have to look right)

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:20 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

mrtravel writes:

A temperature of 23 degrees Celsius (73.4F) is unbearable to you?

It is too hot for me.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:42 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Hatunen

On Wed, 26 Jul 2006 08:57:38 GMT, mrtravel
wrote:

The Reid wrote:
Following up to orange flamingo

For some reason it seems most humans don't seem to mind the heat, but
are scared to death of even a little cold.

I've lived most of my life in the American South. I hate the heat,
and anything over 80F is hot to me. I love the cold, but not below
freezing (32F). However, I seem to be in the minority.

count me in (and my wife), except below freezing is fine for some
things, where snow is desirable, like hill walking. I find damp
weather just above zero to be as unpleasant as temps above 80F,
while below zero eliminates humidity.

You can have low humidity above 0.

You know the saying, "but it's a dry heat"

And you can have high relative humidity below 0. But is that 0 F
or 0 C? You can have dew points above and below zero. In either
system.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:49 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

JohnT writes:

23º C is relatively cool.

As compared to what?

What about in Venice?

Even in Venice.

Old July 26th, 2006, 05:50 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
Mxsmanic

Keith W writes:

Only if they too stupid to realise that they need to drink
and rest in the shade occasionally.

Drinking and resting in the shade isn't enough in extreme heat and
humidity.

Old July 26th, 2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,soc.culture.british,soc.culture.usa,alt.politics.bush
The Reid[_1_]

Following up to Hatunen

And you can have high relative humidity below 0. But is that 0 F
or 0 C? You can have dew points above and below zero. In either
system.

I was talking of freezing point, I've not known it humid below
that.
--
Mike Reid
Walk-eat-photos UK "http://www.fellwalk.co.uk" -- you can email us@ this site