Scottys Castle North to Highway 168 ?

Old March 25th, 2004, 09:49 PM
Christian Nielsen

Default Scottys Castle North to Highway 168 ?

Does anyone know if you can go north, from Scottys Castle to Highway 168 ?`
Map of Death Valley shows unpaved road.........will that be okay?
/Christian

Old March 25th, 2004, 11:06 PM
Keith Willshaw

"Christian Nielsen" wrote in message
. ..
Does anyone know if you can go north, from Scottys Castle to Highway 168

?`
Map of Death Valley shows unpaved road.........will that be okay?
/Christian

Thats mostly a dirt road, as I recall it was mostly OK with some
pretty nasty dust patches and some rugged spots where
there had been washouts.

IF its in good condition and there are no washouts and you have a high
clearance
vehicle (prefereably a 4WD) and you are an experienced off road driver then
its should be OK , unless there's really bad weather that is.

Dont try it in a rental car, even 4WD vehicles arent allowed off
paved roads

Keith

Old March 26th, 2004, 03:43 AM
Gary & Darlene

I still laugh when I recount this story.

I was down there and looked at the map and saw this "dirt" road heading
south into the valley and so thought I would try it.
The first miles were absolutely fine, slowly getting worse, and eventually
heading downhill I came across a washout, that after
careful examination figured how to squeeze my way through, of course I was
in just a mustang 2 wheel drive.
Lower down in the valley I would hit spots where the road disappeared and it
was sand piles to pass through and over and
eventually I made it to the end where it joined up on the main road that one
would "normally" use in and out. Of course I
thought how much sense it made when I had to drive around a big sign
blocking that end stating that the road was closed
do to washouts.

The most interesting thing was about 1/2 through my adventure was being
buzzed by an F-16, I guess he was trying to figure
out what the heck I was doing there.

When I got the the ranger station in Death Valley I mentioned this and how
there was no sign at the other end stating the
road was closed, and his eyes just lit up when he exclaimed "you just drove
it in that?"

I guess being used to driving in Canadian winters on backroads just left me
not phased by the challenge is all, however, I
would not recommend it nor would I knowingly try it again.