Where to go in Canada in April/May?

Old January 2nd, 2004, 08:36 PM
Ronny

Default Where to go in Canada in April/May?

"Carl Bevil" schreef in bericht
My girlfriend and I are thinking about going to Canada on our honeymoon;

we're
getting married late April 2004, so the trip would be the last week of

April
and the first week (or so) of May. I'm wondering where a good place would

be
to go given:

- It can't be too cold; "too cold" meaning needing to wear a jacket all

the
time.
- We want to see wildlife; we are into bird watching, but also like to see
other animals (bears would be good :-) It would be nice to do a guided
wildlife or bird watching tour while we are there, although we don't want

spend our whole time doing that.
- It needs to be on or near the ocean (either coast is fine, although we

live
in California so the west coast is easier).
- Since it's our honeymoon, we'd like to stay at a place somewhat
"extravagant"; not a generic hotel or a cabin with a dirt floor. :-) A
separated cottage-style room is a plus.

Any ideas on an area of Canada to look into? Or specific recommendations

of
places to stay? I realize the above criteria might be hard to meet given

the
time of year we are going. We might end up going south to Central or

South
America.

Thanks!

Carl

--
Remove "NOSPAM" to reply in e-mail

A destination for a honeymoon.... difficult one.
I agree with places like Vancouver and Victoria/Tofino on Vancouver Island.
Eastcoast there also is Halifax and the rest of Nova Scotia. Not forgetting
PEI!!

The honeymooners I met during my travel in Canada where in places like
Kingston and Quebec City.
I think if you like wildlife, especially birds, maybe you could check out
Kingston.
Its a quiet little town. With a nice looking old fort, with grand view!
I spent my few days on a what-used-to-be an ice-breaking boat. The honeymoon
couple I met there, had the captains quarters ;-)
Kingston is right next to 1000islands area.
http://www.kingstonarea.on.ca/
http://www.marmus.ca/marmus/Boatpro.html
http://1000islandsvisitor.com/

Quebec City has great history. Also a grand hotel. Perfect for a honeymoon
;-)
The city lies next to St Lawrence River. If you rent a car... the moment
you're outside the city limits, you're surrounded with nature. The are nice
waterfalls, NiagaraFalls still beats them, but a waterfall near St Marie-de
Beaupre is definately worth seeing. The whole Quebec area is nice. However
its all French! Ofcourse you'll get by in English, but it doesn't hurt to
say hello in French for starting. But its a bit like being in France.

Ok one final other option, not being Canada: New York State: Long Island.

Why don't you check out: http://www.virtualtourist.com Its a page made by
tourists/travelers for other travelers. You can ask around there as well.
And search for places, see pictures, read tips/stories of people that been
there. Its free access, you dont have to be a member to search whatever
you're looking for.

Have a great honeymoon!!! Wherever it may be. Actually it doesn't really
matter where right? As long as you're together ;-)

Cheers.
Ronald

Old January 10th, 2004, 01:04 PM
Gord

It is very important to tourism to be honest and up front. Of all the
months, to pick. That is the period when the continental storm tracks exist
across Canada and the weather is very variable. You can either have very
sunny very warm weather or, .... cold miserable and rain. No weather models
over the last two decades I've seen approach any sort of consistency during
that period.

The last two weeks in March through April, and October 16th, through
November to the Christmas season means variable weather, no matter where one
is in Canada. The jacketless weather usually starts around Canada's Victoria
Day which is usually the third weekend of May when the continental weather
storm tracks move down to cross the upper Mississippi valley in a NW to SE
direction. June is usually the most gorgeous month in Canada.

All this applies to the Vancouver area. Yes they are warmer and you are more
likely to have good weather but it is very inconsistent and you could either
wind up having a long period of sunny weather or the reliving of the Noah
myth. One of the reasons they have no insects is because of the exceptional
air pollution cloudbank from Abbotsford west to the heart of Vancouver.
Vancouver right now likely has the worst year round air pollution problem in
compared with all the major cities in Canada.

For those reasons I would think you should pick another destination such as
Spain or the south of France, under your stringent criteria. Just being
honest as I can.

Old January 10th, 2004, 06:43 PM

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:04:21 GMT, "Gord" wrote:

[...]

Gord:
Your information on the quality of air in Vancouver is just plain
wrong !

In late 2002 in a study by The University of BC and the BC Lung
Association it was found, by Dr Michael Brauer that " compared to
similar North American cities, our air quality is relatively good."
and " The study found that, compared to other cities of similar size,
levels of the principle components of smog were moderate to low in the
Vancouver region."

There are certainly days when the peak level of air pollutants are
high but those are few and they do not occur from Abotsford west as
you have stated but rather Abbostfrod east - due to the westerly winds
that blow toward the east in the Fraser Valley ( and the absence of
insects in the region has little to do with this )

If you check the Environment Canada Index of the Quality of Air ( IQUA
), you will see that in every month the average air quality index of
Vancouver is in the lowest level (GOOD) and that the poorest quality
of air ( by far ) is in the Windsor - Hamilton - Montreal corridor.

Old January 12th, 2004, 12:07 AM
Susan

Had a lovely holiday in Vancouver mid May 2002. The island was a little
cool but the city was beautiful, clean and I felt safe walking the streets
alone. Weather was mild and sunny most of the time. I didn't notice any
air pollution. I would imagine the off shore breeze would blow any
pollution inland.
Susan

Susan
news

Old January 20th, 2004, 05:08 AM
marc

Look into Newfoundland if you're looking for something extoic in
Canada.

Newfoundland is one of my favorite place to visit. In many ways
different from the rest of Canada, but is definately worth visiting.

There's mountains and fjords (Gros Morne) in the western part of the
island, as well as the infamous reconstructed viking site (L'Anse aux
Meadows). There're plenty of bird watching (Cape St. Mary's) and whale
watching on the eastern part of the island. There're no real big
cities like Vancouver in Newfoundland but the towns are pretty unique.

As for place to stay, there're some fine hotels in St. John's
(although pretty good, they're no four seasons). But outside of St
John's and maybe Corner Brook, there're few hotels. B&Bs and resorts
can be a good experience for couples too, and they're very clean
generally speaking. People in Newfoundland are especially friendly
from my experiences!

Iceland, just half an ocean away, is another amazing destination. But
the tickets to either Newfoundland and Iceland can be pricey. But
generally things are less expensive in Newfoundland (not in Iceland
though).

"Carl Bevil" wrote in message ...
My girlfriend and I are thinking about going to Canada on our honeymoon; we're
getting married late April 2004, so the trip would be the last week of April
and the first week (or so) of May. I'm wondering where a good place would be
to go given:

- It can't be too cold; "too cold" meaning needing to wear a jacket all the
time.
- We want to see wildlife; we are into bird watching, but also like to see
other animals (bears would be good :-) It would be nice to do a guided
wildlife or bird watching tour while we are there, although we don't want to

Old January 21st, 2004, 12:28 PM
~ rob ~

"Carl Bevil" wrote in message

[...]

_____________________
Hi Carl,

Where are you coming from?

Vancouver is the most beautiful city in the world, tho no bears nearby, see:
http://www.city.vancouver.bc.ca/

Victoria is the finest city in the world to visit in May, see:
http://www.city.victoria.bc.ca/common/index.shtml

A bit outside of Victoria is Sooke, where you might want to take up
residence for a few days, oceanside modern cabins at some sites,
spectacular, see:
http://www.sooke.org/

And, for visiting the Province of BC, see:
http://www.gov.bc.ca/bvprd/bc/home.d...AV_ID_province

-bg-

www.thelittlecanadaheadphoneband.ca

Old January 22nd, 2004, 12:21 AM