Conway Scenic Railroad vs. Cog Railway

Old September 24th, 2004, 06:30 AM
Fleemo

Default Conway Scenic Railroad vs. Cog Railway

Has anyone here experienced New Hampshire's Conway Scenic Railroad or
the Mount Washington Cog Railway? A train ride sounds very romantic
for our honeymoon. I'm just not sure which to choose.

Thanks!

-F
Old September 24th, 2004, 07:50 AM
Susan Wachob

Hi-

We road the Mt. Washington Cog Railway last year and really enjoyed it
EXCEPT I have asthma and so muchof the smoke gets into the car that it
was very hard to breathe. Most people didn't seem bothered by it. if you
don't have respiratory problems, I'D definitely recommend it.
I know nothing about the other.

In any case, that part of the state is really lovely- Enjoy!!!

Susan

Old September 25th, 2004, 02:18 AM
Everyboysmomma

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Has anyone here experienced New Hampshire's Conway Scenic Railroad or
the Mount Washington Cog Railway? A train ride sounds very romantic
for our honeymoon. I'm just not sure which to choose.

Thanks!

-F

I have done both. The cog railway is interesting because of it's history
and the fact that it takes you to the top of Mt Washington, where, on a
clear day, the views are amazing. It is not built for comfort. It is a means
of getting from point A to point B, (where A is the bottom of a large
Mountain and B is the top of said Mountain) However, no matter how hot it
may be that day, bring at very minimum a sweatshirt. The top of the
mountain is known for it's own weather patterns.

The Conway Scenic Railway goes through the hills and valleys of North
Conway. It is a relaxing, picturesque ride that will give you lots of
chance to look at leaf colors. If the weather is at all cloudy, or if you
can not see the top of Mt Washington on the day you visit, I would
definitely choose this one.
Momma

Old September 27th, 2004, 07:39 PM
Fleemo

Thanks much for the input, Susan.

Momma! We meet again. You're quickly turning into my New England
Expert. Perhaps you should just go along with us on our honeymoon.

So you've done both, eh? I see the Conway Scenic Railroad also offers
lunch on their dining car. Did you eat on the train, do you think
it'd be worth having lunch on board?

Also, I was leaning toward the Valley Train ride as opposed to the
Notch Train, as 5 hours seems a bit overkill. Unless, of course,
you'd recommend the Notch Train over the Valley Train.

-F
Old September 27th, 2004, 09:11 PM
Everyboysmomma

"Fleemo" wrote in message
m...
Thanks much for the input, Susan.

Momma! We meet again. You're quickly turning into my New England
Expert. Perhaps you should just go along with us on our honeymoon.

So you've done both, eh? I see the Conway Scenic Railroad also offers
lunch on their dining car. Did you eat on the train, do you think
it'd be worth having lunch on board?

Also, I was leaning toward the Valley Train ride as opposed to the
Notch Train, as 5 hours seems a bit overkill. Unless, of course,
you'd recommend the Notch Train over the Valley Train.

-F

Hi Fleemo
When I did it my boys were fairly small so we didn't do the meal and we did
the shorter (I think it was about 2.5 hours?) trip. As long as we don't get
a major storm up here it should be real nice because the weather has been
sensational and the leaves are just starting to show their colors.
Did you end up booking the Wentworth in Jackson?
Momma

Old September 28th, 2004, 05:13 AM
Fleemo

Thanks Momma,

I tried sending you this e-mail directly today, but it apparently
didn't go through.

At this point, I've arranged accommodations for my bride-to-be and me
to stay in Jackson, NH at the Eagle Mountain House. The Wentworth
looked gorgeous, but I'm afraid, as newlyweds, a bit out of our
budget. We'll spend two days in NH, the first exploring the
Kancamungus Highway, and the second probably taking a trip on the
Conway Scenic Roadway. On days three and four, we'll probably explore
your home state, Maine.

So, if you were in my shoes, what would you do in Maine on a
honeymoon? After long deliberation, I found myself leaning toward the
suggestions you made for the New Hampshire leg of our trip, so I
thought I'd come direct to my preferred source of travel wisdom for
Maine. I've heard that Acadia National Park is awesome, but that
it takes entirely too long to get there for such a short visit. A
friend of mine just got back from staying at the Craignair in Booth
Bay Harbor and recommended it. I thought maybe a day there, exploring
Monhegan island perhaps, and then another day further south, perhaps
in Kennebunkport or Portsmouth? I'd love to hear where you'd spend
your time in Maine and where you'd stay.

Many thanks Momma!

-Fleemo
Old September 28th, 2004, 04:22 PM
Everyboysmomma

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
[...]

I have a bogus email address for the newsgroups to keep me from getting
spammed to death.

Eagle Mountain House is fantastic. It is our second choice whenever we
can't get into the Wentworth. You will love it.
Ok, coming from NH you will either be taking Route 302 or 113. Either one
is going to take you by some real pretty scenery, although 302 will have
great views of Sebago Lake and Naples/Long Lake area. It also has more
points of interest than the "back way". It will put you into some
congestion when you get to Portland, but it may be worth it.
We have a boat, and Boothbay is one of our favorite destinations. The
harbor area itself is so picturesque. If you are so inclined, and if they
are still open in October, there is a place at the end of the footbridge
where you can rent kayaks and paddle around the harbor. I highly recommend
this even if you have never kayaked before. The water is flat, there is the
protection of all the anchored boats, and there is no better way to see the
beautiful houses that line the harbor. Because we always stay on our boat,
we don't have any experience there with hotels. If you have a good
recommendation I'd go with that. Boothbay has many available whale watching
and scenic boat tours. That would probably be a great way to spend part of
the day. We've never been disappointed in any restaurant we've eaten in,
and we always pick one with a deck on the water. It is what we are there
for!!

As you travel south from Boothbay, you will come to Freeport. Home of LL
Bean. Many visitors don't feel they have been to Maine without a trip to
Beans! Freeport has some nice small outlet shopping stores and the Jameson
Tavern, next door to LL Bean's is a great place to have lunch.

Coming further south, you may want to stop here in Cape Elizabeth to see the
Portland Head Light and Two Lights State Park. You can tour the Portland
Head Light and visit their museum, plus get one of the best views of the
entrance to Portland Harbor there is. Given the time that you will be here,
there is a real good chance of seeing one of the megaliner cruise ships
coming in for foliage. The new Queen Mary II is due in on October 4 and
again, I think, on the 10th. If you haven't already eaten, the best place
to get a lobster roll is The Lobster Shack, just past Two Lights State Park.
It is on a point of land with outdoor picnic tables. It is kind of famous,
so don't be surprised if there is a line to order. It is worth the wait.

Kennebunkport is another of our favorite destinations. It is such a pretty
community. There is lots of shopping and art galleries. Here our favorite
place to eat is Federal Jack's Brew Pub http://www.federaljacks.com/ , which
is an actual working brewery. If you are into beer, they have the best
Pumpkin stuff I have ever tasted. Yeah, Pumpkin Beer. But you have to try
it!! Up here we also do Blueberry, Raspberry, and Peach beers. Almost all
of our beers are microbrewed, although if necessary, you can get a Budweiser
(but who would want to??) If you want to try and view Walker's Point,
which is the Bush family compound, you will have to find a place to park
your car, well away from there, and walk because the Secret Service doesn't
let any car stop along that road anymore. There really isn't much to see,
and you have a better chance at sighting a Bush at a restaurant or shopping.
We have seen the elder Bush a number of times in Ogunquit at Perkins Cove.
Not that it thrills me any. I am one of those "other" kind of people!!!
Kennebunkport also has whale watch tours and scenic boat rides. We always
bring our bikes to these places to get around. I know you can rent them in
Boothbay, but I can't remember seeing them in Kennebunkport.

Portsmouth is a lovely small city. There is a trolley that will take you
anywhere for a dollar or two. Get a schedule and make use of it. It is
also a good way to take a scenic tour for real cheap, because generally the
trolley driver will give a little speech while you are underway. If you are
into historic places, visit Strawberry Banke http://www.strawberybanke.org/
They have many historic homes and places of business for you tour. They
often have a few costumed interpreters also. This is good for the better
part of a day. If you are staying in the city, you may want to catch a
show at the Seacoast Rep. Theater http://www.seacoastrep.org/ . NH has no
sales tax, so if you are going to shop, this is the best place to do it.
And there is loads of shopping to be had in the city.

So, that is what I know of the places you are interested in. If I can give
you any more information, please feel free to email me directly. And best
of luck to you and Mrs. Fleemo!!
Momma

Old September 29th, 2004, 12:10 AM
Mimi

"Fleemo" wrote in message
om...
Thanks Momma,
friend of mine just got back from staying at the Craignair in Booth
Bay Harbor and recommended it. I thought maybe a day there, exploring
Monhegan island perhaps, and then another day further south, perhaps
in Kennebunkport or Portsmouth?

I'm not Momma, but we really liked the Five Gables Inn in East Boothbay when
we stayed there a couple years ago. We also liked Camden and Portsmouth, NH,
both towns with quite a bit to see.

Marianne