smallest 'computer' for trip advice wanted

Old February 14th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Jim Ley

On 14 Feb 2005 06:44:12 -0800, "LagoonLady"
wrote:

But I don't think ordinary phones have pc interface. I know my Nokia I
have now doesn't. And certainly no USB or memory for text documents.
What phone exactly?

Lots of phones have bluetooth or infrared for the PC connection.

Lots of phones have SD or MMC cards to transfer info.

Lots of phones can talk to external roll up bluetooth keyboards.

You can even buy such phones in the USA, even with its rather backward
phone network.

Jim.
Old February 15th, 2005, 07:04 AM
LagoonLady

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ask this question cause this
trip is semi-business. The text I need to create is for later web
stuff, not chatty emails, so I am taking this stuff to get the text
done while still fresh in my mind each day, and save time later looking
up weird town name spellings, etc...It will be plain text--no
formatting. I don't mind cramped typing, I'm a girl w/ small hands, but
sure don't want to have to re-type anything later from handwriting
(can't read mine) or learn any short-hand palm languages. Or type into
a phone !! Got to have a mini/folding or roll-up keyboard. I love
UBid, where I buy most computer stuff, so I'll just have to start
watching and reading more reviews I guess. Thanks all.

Old February 15th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Jim Ley

On 14 Feb 2005 23:04:49 -0800, "LagoonLady"
wrote:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I ask this question cause this
trip is semi-business. The text I need to create is for later web
stuff, not chatty emails, so I am taking this stuff to get the text
done while still fresh in my mind each day, and save time later looking
up weird town name spellings, etc...It will be plain text--no
formatting. I don't mind cramped typing, I'm a girl w/ small hands, but
sure don't want to have to re-type anything later from handwriting
(can't read mine) or learn any short-hand palm languages. Or type into
a phone !! Got to have a mini/folding or roll-up keyboard.

Yes, phones can work with the mini fold up bluetooth keyboards just as
much as PDA's - phones have killed the PDA market outside the USA.
Something like the 6600, or the P910i

see

http://www.expansys.com/product.asp?...EYBOARD_QWERTY

which includes the list.

Jim.
Old February 15th, 2005, 09:08 AM
Donald Newcomb

"chancellor of the duchy of besses o' th' barn"
wrote in message
news:1gryveb.yblqos4ukberN%this_address_is_for_spa ...
Jim Ley wrote:
I have an Ericsson one- it's tiny.

And slow. (I own one too.) But still faster than multitap.

--
Donald Newcomb
DRNewcomb (at) attglobal (dot) net

Old February 15th, 2005, 09:14 AM
Donald Newcomb

wrote in message
oups.com...
I need advice on small device I can carry w/ a
detachable flexible roll-up, or fold-up keyboard for text entry and
storage.

I've been thinking about getting one of the higher-end IPAQs. Some have
small QWERTY keyboards, but you may also be able to attach a keyboard. One
of the problems with any PDA is that by the time you spend $600 to get the
PDA you want, you're at the point where you feel like you might as well drop
the $3900 for that tiny Vaio that you really want. My solution has been to
just drag my old IBM Thinkpad on all my trips with me. At least if it gets
lost, stolen or dropped, I won't have to kill myself over it.

Old February 15th, 2005, 10:42 PM
LagoonLady

Well, on eBay I bought , for $50 total including shipping, a Handspring
Visor Deluxe with Targus Foldout Keyboard. Figured even tho it is not
new technology it should do the job based on what was suggested and at
that price, if lost, stolen or broken--no big deal. I'll just take a
few extra AAA batteries, they are tiny and cheap. People loved these
things and paid $250 when they were new according to the reviews I ran
across. Thanks--

Old February 16th, 2005, 05:47 AM
poldy

In article ,
BB wrote:

Some of the PDAs also have 802.11b wireless, so you could just connect up
to the internet at some wireless access point. Finding the access points
could be a challenge, though, and the prices are higher for these. But it
would allow you to do web surfing and internet chatting as well. Browsing
on such a small screen is not terribly effective, and the browser that
comes with Palm is reportedly pretty buggy.

I thought about a Wifi PDA. But most of them are $400 or more.

So a laptop starts to sound better. Of course, much heavier and you
have to worry about theft since you can't take it around with you as you
could a PDA.

Also, PDAs seem on the verge of dying out, giving way to smart phones
with PDA functions. Trouble with those is that you have to surf on
mobile networks, which costs more than using Wifi at a Hot Spot.

Plus a lot of vacation rentals in the bigger Euro. cities appear to
offer broadband now.
Old February 16th, 2005, 11:10 PM
congokid

In message .com,
LagoonLady writes
Well, on eBay I bought , for $50 total including shipping, a Handspring
Visor Deluxe with Targus Foldout Keyboard. Figured even tho it is not
new technology it should do the job based on what was suggested and at
that price, if lost, stolen or broken--no big deal. I'll just take a
few extra AAA batteries, they are tiny and cheap. People loved these
things and paid $250 when they were new according to the reviews I ran
across.

Welcome to the club (is there one?). My Visor cost somewhere near that
new.

I got a couple of BOGOF 12-packs of AAA batteries, then bought a cheap
recharger that came with two AAAs, as well as a four AAs. I'll get round
to using the 12 packs eventually I suppose.

I just wish they had standardised the inter connection technology
sooner.

Happy tapping.

--
congokid
Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google