if you are over 65...

Old July 15th, 2015, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Jack Campin

Default if you are over 65...

In London, tubes and buses are free for London over 65 residents;
London is still free for 0ver 60's residents (provided that they
have applied for the appropriate pass)

Climbing on my soapbox for a moment - I do not think schemes like free
bus passes are a good idea. The costs of providing these schemes have to
be paid for somehow

They more than pay for themselves in improved health (hence reduced
care and medical bills) for retired people who use the buses to get
out doing things that they otherwise couldn't afford.

If you live in some barbaric ******** where the elderly don't get
any care or medical assistance out of the public purse the figures
probably look different.

Old July 15th, 2015, 10:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Erilar

Surreyman wrote:
On Monday, July 13, 2015 at 2:37:41 PM UTC+1, Jack Campin wrote:
...a member of an EU state, and have ID to prove it,
you can travel free on public transport in Budapest.

I wonder when England is going to join the EU?

And throughout London

Really? I'm 81 and might get back there. . . Oh, but I'm a benighted
American. . .
--
biblioholic medievalist
Old July 16th, 2015, 12:13 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
S Viemeister[_2_]

On 7/15/2015 4:06 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
S Viemeister wrote:
I was ever so slightly annoyed to discover that my Highland
Council-issued bus pass wasn't valid on the Edinburgh trams,
though it did work on the bus.

Same with mine, issued in Midlothian. I'm not that bothered as
I can't imagine ever wanting to use the Edinburgh tram.

I use it between Haymarket and the airport.

The annoying thing is I'll have to pay full price on the Borders
Railway, which has a station five minutes walk from where I live.
That starts up in a few weeks.

I understand that the Borders Railway will be getting the carriages
presently used on the North Highland line.

Old July 16th, 2015, 07:51 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 07/15/2015 11:50 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
In London, tubes and buses are free for London over 65 residents;
London is still free for 0ver 60's residents (provided that they
have applied for the appropriate pass)

Climbing on my soapbox for a moment - I do not think schemes like free
bus passes are a good idea. The costs of providing these schemes have to
be paid for somehow

They more than pay for themselves in improved health (hence reduced
care and medical bills) for retired people who use the buses to get
out doing things that they otherwise couldn't afford.

If you live in some barbaric ******** where the elderly don't get
any care or medical assistance out of the public purse the figures
probably look different.

Quite so, but then why not raise the pensions so that they can decide
for themselves if they want to spend it on bus tickets or not.
Old July 16th, 2015, 09:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 07/15/2015 11:50 PM, Jack Campin wrote:
In London, tubes and buses are free for London over 65 residents;
London is still free for 0ver 60's residents (provided that they
have applied for the appropriate pass)
Climbing on my soapbox for a moment - I do not think schemes like free
bus passes are a good idea. The costs of providing these schemes have to
be paid for somehow

They more than pay for themselves in improved health (hence reduced
care and medical bills) for retired people who use the buses to get
out doing things that they otherwise couldn't afford.

If you live in some barbaric ******** where the elderly don't get
any care or medical assistance out of the public purse the figures
probably look different.

e m a i l : j a c k @ c a m p i n . m e .
u k
Jack Campin, 11 Third Street, Newtongrange, Midlothian EH22 4PU,
Scotland
mobile 07800 739 557 http://www.campin.me.uk Twitter:
JackCampin

Quite so, but then why not raise the pensions so that they can decide for
themselves if they want to spend it on bus tickets or not.

because many don't use their bass pass at all, So either it will cost you
more, of if you give everyone the average amount those that do will lose out

tim

Old July 16th, 2015, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tom P[_6_]

On 07/16/2015 10:01 PM, tim..... wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
[...]

But why should the ones who do use the bus pass be better of than the
ones that don't or can't get on a bus? What about pensioners who are too
disabled to get on a bus at all? Like I say, the system is
discriminatory and wasteful.

Old July 17th, 2015, 08:24 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
tim.....

"Tom P" wrote in message
On 07/16/2015 10:01 PM, tim..... wrote:

because many don't use their bass pass at all, So either it will cost
you more, of if you give everyone the average amount those that do will
lose out

tim

But why should the ones who do use the bus pass be better of than the ones
that don't

because OAPs who use the bus pass tends to based upon need.

And the current system makes them better off at no cost to the people who
choose not to use their pass

or can't get on a bus? What about pensioners who are too disabled to get on
a bus at all?

That's a different problem

Like I say, the system is discriminatory

In what way?

and wasteful.

just like all social benefits, if it doesn't match your political view of
"need" it can be shown to be wasteful.

tim

Old July 18th, 2015, 10:07 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Friday, July 17, 2015 at 8:25:04 PM UTC+1, tim..... wrote:
"Tom P" wrote in message
[...]

I've just seen that, at 65+, I'm about to get free entry into Pompeii, Herculaneum etc. next month. Well done Italy!
Old July 19th, 2015, 09:56 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Saturday, July 18, 2015 at 10:45:01 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
[...]

but somebody employed by the mafia will still charge you EURO 5 or more to protect
your car in the car park.
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Cheapy train ticket from Sorrento. :-))
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:10 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Surreyman[_3_]

On Sunday, July 19, 2015 at 11:38:18 AM UTC+1, Martin wrote:

"Tom P" wrote in message
[...]

Very cunning!

Pick pockets at the station? :-)
--

Martin in Zuid Holland

Since I got done for the first time ever in Malaga a few years ago (and never ever in the Morocco/Jordan swathe of over 50 years of travels) my body has become inviolate (for pickpocketing, anyway!).
For any interested, a day pass on the Sorrento/Naples circuit railway is a few Euros and entry into Pompeii, Herculaneum etc. is free for 65+. That saves a couple some 100 Euros over the local day trips and thus provides for a couple of splendid meals!