Traveling destinations with Singapore as a base

Old August 31st, 2007, 03:58 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

Default Traveling destinations with Singapore as a base

I am spending the next year in Singapore and hope to get some good
tips on weekend (and long weekend) trips within the region
I am open for bus travel as well as plane-travel.

My first trip has been to Rawa island off the east-coast of Malaysia.
Loved it!

My interests when traveling are both in the areas of history/culture
of my destination. But also nature experiences. Through hiking etc. I
have really loved the trips I have taken to Rainforest areas (spent
some time at Cape Tribulation in Queensland)
I obviously dont expect to satisfy all these interests on each trip.
Just to say that I am fairly open to any suggestion and most countries
that are within reasonable traveling time of Singapore
Great if you could specify if there is a specific time of year that is
best to visit this place (assuming you have this information of
course)

Any of you personal favorites and experiences are muchly appreciated!

Thanks and happy traveling to everyone here

Old August 31st, 2007, 07:02 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Firefox treks

Hi sumsa
I am sure you would like to trek along Singalila Wildlife Forest at
India. Located at Darjeeling and bordering Sikkim and Nepal and
located in the Eastern Himalayas, it is also the home of Red Panda and
Rhododendron Forests.
We are a team of young professionals and trying to develop
Responsible Tourism at this region. We would be glad to provide you
with more information.

As you mention that you are presently located at Singapore this place
is not very far from plane. There is a connecting 45 minutes flight
from Calcutta, India.
We shall be more than glad to provide more information for you.
Warm Regards
Dushyant Thapa

0091-9832464741
Firefox Treks
Darjeeling, India

Old August 31st, 2007, 12:35 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

One of my favourites of recent years is Luang Prabang in Laos. It's a world
heritage site, good French and Lao food, with life at a nice relaxed pace.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/200...ytravelsection
describes it well.

I stayed in the same guest house as the reporter, just by chance.
I also went to their other guesthouse at Kuang Si Falls - a really lovely
place with few overnight tourists, no internet, no mobile phones, etc but it
takes up to a few days more and I think they open open it only when they are
in the right mood. I did a day's hike up in the hills behind the waterfalls
with a local guide called chanthee, whom I recommend if he is still around.
Madame Vandara found him for me.

You can do Mekong river trips from L-P.

I stayed briefly in Vientiene too - nice enough but a bit dull, I would head
straight to L-P.

Old August 31st, 2007, 03:26 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Aug 30, 10:58 pm, wrote:
[...]

For history and cultu

Siem Reap a.k.a. Angkor Wat (Cambodia)
Macau (China)
Luang Prabang (Laos)
Melaka (Malaysia)
Yogyakarta (Indonesia)
Hanoi (Vietnam)

Old August 31st, 2007, 07:53 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_5_]

In article , RAK says...

One of my favourites of recent years is Luang Prabang in Laos.

Are there direct flights between Singapore and LP, perhaps leaving
Friday evening and returning Sunday evening?
--

Alfred Molon
Old August 31st, 2007, 10:01 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Steve Cain

Bintan would be fun/easy. s

Old September 3rd, 2007, 10:32 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
RAK

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
In article , RAK says...

One of my favourites of recent years is Luang Prabang in Laos.

Are there direct flights between Singapore and LP, perhaps leaving
Friday evening and returning Sunday evening?
--

I don't think there are any direct flights.
You can go via Bangkok, then with Bangkok Airways or Lao Airlines to LP.

Check with www.oag.com to who flies where.
And these may help too
http://www.whichbudget.com/en/
http://www.asia-budget-airlines.com/

But these things change, maybe someone will start direct flights.
Try to go in the winter/dry season, as the summer (about May-Sept?) is hot,
wet and probably mosquito-ish.

Because of the indirect flight it is probably too much for just a weekend.
Better to wait for a long weekend I think, or even a whole week if you want
to get to the waterfall village.