Yellowstone

Old September 21st, 2009, 02:11 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

Default Yellowstone

R. F. Duffer wrote:
Marsha wrote:
SMS wrote:
Yellowstone is a big place. I would suggest spending two days in the
Old Faithful area and two days at Mammoth Hot Springs Hotel. Staying
outside the park may be a bit cheaper, but for only a four day trip
you don't want to be doing that much driving every day. Better get
moving on those reservations.

I tried making reservations though the web site today. They ask you
to list your top three preferences and then you have to list all your
credit card info and address, etc. Then the final page tells you
about the 10% non-refundable fee, based on your total charges. What a
bunch of bulls***. You can't tell me that if I have to cancel a
reservation, that they wouldn't be able to re-rent in a heartbeat.
And you don't even know which one they'll reserve for you. Call me
naive, because I had no idea they did this, but that's crap.

Marsha

10% cancellation fee? -- Not according to Xanterra's Web page:
http://www.travelyellowstone.com/sum...icies-114.html

Their words, not mine:
"In the event of a cancellation, 48-hour notice is required to receive a
full refund of your deposit amount."

I'm trying to find the web site where I put in all the information and,
before it was finalized, the disclaimer came up that said a 10%
non-refundable fee, based on your total reservation fee, will be
charged. Of course, I can't find it now. But I suspect you're right -
it was a bogus web site. I'm usually more careful than that. I tried
it again and got a reservation without any disclaimer and without having
to choose three different places. Thanks.

Marsha
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:26 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_32_]

Yellowstone is on fire.

--
Dymphna
Message origin: www.TRAVEL.com

Old September 29th, 2009, 06:48 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Tue, 29 Sep 2009 12:26:43 -0500, Dymphna
wrote:

Yellowstone is on fire.

In 1986 was Yellowstone also on fire.
Old September 29th, 2009, 06:58 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Dymphna" wrote in message
news

Yellowstone is on fire.

Yellowstone is a VERY big park. The fires involve around 9,000 acres.
The park covers 2.2 million acres . It was around a week
after the fire started before anybody noticed it !

Keith

Old September 29th, 2009, 09:55 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"Dymphna" wrote in message
news

Last summer when I was there - this is what I saw.

No you didnt, this fire started on Sept 13 2009.

It is not going to go
out anytime soon. Last time it burned - it burned for months! They will
fight the fire from the air or from established roads. This means it is
not going to have much deterrence from spreading.

Apart from the snowstorm forecast for tomorrow that is.

Keith

Old September 29th, 2009, 11:51 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Dymphna[_33_]

Keith Willshaw;3026633 Wrote:
"Dymphna" wrote in message
news

Last summer when I was there - this is what I saw.

No you didnt, this fire started on Sept 13 2009.

It is not going to go
out anytime soon. Last time it burned - it burned for months! They

will
fight the fire from the air or from established roads. This means it

is
not going to have much deterrence from spreading.

Apart from the snowstorm forecast for tomorrow that is.

Keith

Um those are not on fire - they are pictures of dead wood. Hello and I
hope we do get the snow. That is what will help.

Old September 30th, 2009, 02:54 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
-hh

Marsha wrote:
Dymphna wrote:

Which direction are you coming from? I know you are going to run into
some road construction. They are hoping to get done with the road
construction this fall on the Cook City Highway going in from Red Lodge..
This is an impressive drive and very beautiful. But not for anyone who
is afraid of heights! I have attached a couple of pictures of it so you
can see that. Those were not even taken from the top.

We'll be coming from the east. *I found the web site that will keep me
up to date as far as construction.

Sounds like this would be from Cody, WY or thereabouts.

For a late May trip, I'd also keep an eye on the highway's relevant
mountain pass ... my recollection was Powder Creek Pass, but this
appears to have been incorrect - - north fork of the Shoshone River
(Shoshone Canyon)?

In any event, I went through there (years ago) in very late June and
there was still a very ample amount of snow in the pass. The road was
clear (then), but you'll be a month earlier, so it may be something to
monitor.

In terms of the broader question of where to stay, do take into
account this Eastern approach in your plans ... for example, Old
Faithful is around 120 miles from Cody, which due to roads and
temptations to stop, I'd plan to easily be a 3+ hour drive. If
you're actually coming in from Casper, WY, that's twice as far.

The other thing that I'd suggest keeping an eye on is that cabins are
not uncommon accomodations ... and while rustic can be appealing.
However, do pay attention to making sure that the accomodations
specifically include heating, as I would definitely expect that
overnight temperatures in late May to easily be below freezing...on my
first visit, I can recall Obsidian Cliff Pond having a thin skim of
ice on it as we drove past in the morning, but was melted out on our
late afternoon return...but then frozen over again the next morning
when we went past again, etc. Of course, this also means to pack
accordingly for clothing, too.

-hh