Very Strange Places to Visit

Old October 20th, 2007, 04:22 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
javawizard

Default Very Strange Places to Visit

I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines of www.odd-homes.com or
www.odd-bikes.com. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

Old October 20th, 2007, 04:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Cliff

javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines of www.odd-homes.com or
www.odd-bikes.com. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

RORT is plenty weird ...

Cliff in TN - We don need no steekin' wierdos ... LOL

--

If it can't be easier, Lord, make me Stronger ...

Our Web Side www.cj-and-m.com
Come Visit

Old October 20th, 2007, 05:58 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
-Gar

How 'bout www.oddservicecentercampgrounds.cliff??

--
Ole Gar, in the 'lil trailer, under the bridge, down by the river
http:coltonmotorexpress.blogspot.com/
Old October 20th, 2007, 06:31 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
[email protected]

On Oct 20, 5:22 pm, javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines ofwww.odd-homes.comorwww.odd-bikes.com. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

Sounds good , maybe i might see if we can add a section to our
website...........www.destination-finder.com we like to look at
different locations like Senegal ....might take it that step further
and go for odd destination, if anyone has any tales or pics id be
interested to publish

chris

Old October 20th, 2007, 08:44 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Cliff

-Gar wrote:
Cliff wrote:
javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines of www.odd-homes.com or
www.odd-bikes.com. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

RORT is plenty weird ...

Cliff in TN - We don need no steekin' wierdos ... LOL

How 'bout www.oddservicecentercampgrounds.cliff??

To quote my fav. space ship captain ... "Laugh it up, Furball!" :-)

Cliff in TN - now, what was that word for things that live under a bridge?
LOL

Old October 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Jenny6833A

On Oct 20, 8:22 am, javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit ....

Weird according to whom? Do you mean weird to Americans?

If so, I could arrange for pics of a doctor's office which consists
only of one small waiting room and one large, well equipped examining
room. There is no receptionist, no room full of clerical staff
pounding keyboards and shuffling a myriad of insurance papers, no
billing system, no mailing expenses, no nurses, no nurses' aides, and
no aides to nurses' aides. There's just the doctor. He doesn't need
a raft of helpers to weigh people and take temperatures and blood
pressures, because (unlike American doctors) s/he knows how to do such
stuff himself. He doesn't even need helpers to interview the patient
and write cryptic notes on a chart. The doctor in this weird place
knows how to do that too, and believes that actually talking to his
customers himself makes for better diagnoses. Oh, yeah, he doesn't
need helpers to give shots either, because he knows how to do that too
-- and he's very expert.

(Of course, most people there don't get shots in a doctor's office,
because that wastes the doctor's time. He just scribbles a
prescription for a shot. The syringe is purchased at a pharmacy, and
the shot is given at home by a spouse, a neighbor, or the patient
herself -- although the doc or the pharmacist will do it if the
patient is chicken.)

The way a visit to a doctor works is, you just show up at the doc's
office during walk-in hours. There'll be half-a-dozen chairs, some
old magazines, and a lot of notices on the wall. You're expected to
read the notices. (This place I'm talking about has a very high
literacy rate, due to a very good K-12 system, another aspect that
will be weird to Americans.) After a while, the doc walks through the
waiting room to the exterior door with the patient he's just seen.
Then he turns and says, for example, "Bon jour, Madam Allen, welcome
back." He knows I'm next because he has more than half a brain. Like
American barbers, but unlike American doctors, he doesn't need a
helper for that. We make chit-chat on our way into his office, then
get down to business.

Or, if I want an appointment, I call. Guess who answers? It's the
doc himself. He knows how to keep an appointment book too. We don't
futz around. I do a one sentence problem statement, he says "Today at
15H00." I say, "See ya then." Clunk. Hey, he's with a patient, so
we keep it brief.

The whole place is spotlessly clean, but it's not deluxe. He doesn't
spend money on non-essentials like thick carpets, fancy furnishings,
and art on the walls. He impresses his customers with excellent
medical care, not with posh furnishings and a raft of flunkies.
Excellent medical care at low cost is why they're #1.

We talk medical business while he's doing temp and blood pressure and
all that. He's good at concurrency. He's writing a prescription for
whatever ails me while asking if I need a flu shot. I say yes, so he
writes a separate one for that. There's never a shortage of vaccines
there. It's an advanced country; unlike some places I can think of,
they make all their own vaccines.

When we're done, he starts writing the obligatory receipt -- by hand
-- while I dig out the obligatory 20 euros. Cash preferred, checks
accepted. I've spent ALL of my visit with the doctor himself, and
it's taken half the time I spend in the States dealing with flunkies
and cooling my heels in some tiny room waiting for the American doctor
to rush in. He walks me out through the waiting room, making chit
chat about his recent visit to New York, and I'm soon on the street.
As the door swings shut behind me, I hear him say, "Bon jour, Monsieur
Girard."

The 20 euros, when converted to dollars, is one-sixth of what I pay in
the USA for a visit that typically takes twice as long and includes a
lot less time with the doc himself.

I stop at the pharmacy on the way home. One flu shot syringe and one
28-day pack of pills. The pharmacist stamps "filled" on the flu shot
prescription, and keeps it. He stamps "filled one" and the date on
the pill prescription and hands it back to me. Unlike in the USA, I
can get the refills at any pharmacy I like just by presenting the
prescription. Pharmacies don't keep a prescription until all refills
have been issued.

And, if the pharmacy doesn't have the medication in stock, I don't
have to wait until they get it. I can go to another pharmacy if I
want it now. I mean, pharmacies there don't confiscate the
prescription first, then tell you they're out of stock. That's what
makes all this on topic. While RVing, I've been stuck in American
burgs because the pharmacy takes my prescription first, tells me they
can't fill it until Monday, and won't give it back.

Oh, and before I forget, my overseas doc does house calls too. That's
REALLY weird. I think those cost 30 euros, although it may be 35
euros now.

So, Jeff, whatdaya think? Would all this be weird enough for you?

Or would it be way too weird for your American audience?

:-)

Jenny

Old October 21st, 2007, 04:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Peter Pan

javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines of www.odd-homes.com or
www.odd-bikes.com. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

Have you checked out the site by the name of the subject? (without the word
very)
http://www.strangeplaces.com/

Old October 21st, 2007, 06:53 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Oct 20, 8:22 am, javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit, something along the lines. Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks,
- Jeff

How about visiting nospam.com?

Old October 21st, 2007, 07:07 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Souf Efriken

On 20 Oct, 23:28, Jenny6833A wrote:
[...]

top marks, excellent post !

Old October 21st, 2007, 09:48 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.cruises,rec.outdoors.rv-travel,rec.travel.air,rec.travel.asia
Doesn't Frequently Mop

Make credence recognised that on Sat, 20 Oct 2007 14:28:23 -0700,
Jenny6833A has scripted:

On Oct 20, 8:22 am, javawizard wrote:
I'm wondering if there would be interest in a website about weird
places to visit ....

Weird according to whom? Do you mean weird to Americans?

Excellent!

I've read a lot of crap on usenet, but your post was one of the most
poignant ever. Irrelevant to the discussion, but well said anyway.

Keep it up.
--
---
DFM - http://www.deepfriedmars.com