Travel with encrypted hard drive

Old November 8th, 2007, 08:05 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
pindborg

Default Travel with encrypted hard drive

Hi

I will visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can
take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

Best regards

Erik

Old November 8th, 2007, 08:37 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
PeterL

On Nov 8, 12:05 pm, pindborg wrote:
Hi

I will visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can
take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

Best regards

Erik

The rule is, put the computer in a bag, carry said bag with you on
airplane, arrive China. End of story.

Old November 9th, 2007, 09:40 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Alfred Molon[_6_]

In article . com,
pindborg says...

I will visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can
take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

You might perhaps need an export licence from your own country for that.
Don't know where you are based, but if it's the USA check with the BIS
(Bureau of Industry and Security). But it could well be that the
encryption software on your computer is considered a mass market item
and as such is not controlled.

Here is the link to the Commerce Control List (USA):
http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/ear_data.html

You might google for the Commerce Control List of your own country.

In any case it's unlikely that you would need an export licence of your
own country of residence, but you should check anyway.
--

Alfred Molon
Old November 10th, 2007, 01:02 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Tchiowa

On Nov 9, 4:40 pm, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article . com,
pindborg says...

I will visit China in a couple of week and I need to know if I can
take
a laptop with encrypted hard drive along? Does anyone know a link for
the rules of doing this?

You might perhaps need an export licence from your own country for that.
Don't know where you are based, but if it's the USA check with the BIS
(Bureau of Industry and Security). But it could well be that the
encryption software on your computer is considered a mass market item
and as such is not controlled.

Here is the link to the Commerce Control List (USA):http://www.access.gpo.gov/bis/ear/ear_data.html

You might google for the Commerce Control List of your own country.

In any case it's unlikely that you would need an export licence of your
own country of residence, but you should check anyway.
--

Alfred Molonhttp://www.molon.de- Photos of Asia, Africa and Europe

At one time taking backup software required an export license because
the compression routine was considered encryption.

The liklihood that you're going to get caught is slim. But the
punishment is potentially so severe that it's not worth the risk.

I can't help but wonder what you would want to have encrypted on a PC
you're taking to China with you.

The only things I can think of are likely to get you arrested if
you're caught. Again, not worth it.

Old November 10th, 2007, 03:12 PM posted to rec.travel.asia
Spehro Pefhany

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 05:02:54 -0800, the renowned Tchiowa
wrote:

[...]

I have all kinds of business-related information on my laptop,
confidential to various clients. Unless you're resigned to maintain
physical control of the computer 24/7 during your trip (eg. never
leave it in your hotel room for any length of time), there's a risk
since the password scheme is not necessarily secure.

Personally I would go with the encrypted drive and not worry about it
unless you're doing things you really shouldn't be doing (eg.
attempting to stir up political trouble or getting involved with other
types of shady or criminal activity).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Old November 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Chris Blunt

On Sat, 10 Nov 2007 05:02:54 -0800, Tchiowa
wrote:

[...]

I guess it could be confidential corporate information.

As far as I know, most commercially available encryption systems are
no longer subject to US export restrictions.

Chris
Old November 11th, 2007, 07:34 AM posted to rec.travel.asia
Ðiefulen

wrote:

[...]

This is what the "expert" at GPG (Open PGP) had to say about it.

http://rechten.uvt.nl/koops/cryptolaw/cls2.htm#prc

People's Republic of China [Sources 3, 5]

See also Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.

1. Export/ import controls
By State Council Order No. 273, "Commercial Use Password Management
Regulations", published on 15 October 1999 and in effect since 7 October
1999, import and export of encryption products requires a license by the
State Encryption Management Commission. According to a "clarification
letter" sent to US businesses in China in early March 2000, this
involves only hardware and software for which encryption and decoding
operations are core functions. As a result, products in which
cryptography is only built-in (such as mobile phones and browser
software) are exempted. Moreover, the letter clarified that the
regulations do not entail key escrow.
However, the clarification letter only seems to apply to pre-2000
products. All products since 2000 seem to require a license.

2. Domestic laws and regulations
By State Council Order No. 273, "Commercial Use Password Management
Regulations", published on 15 October 1999 and in effect since 7 October
1999, domestic crypto manufacture and use is severely restricted.
Officially designated manufacturers must obtain aproval from the State
Encryption Management Commission for the type and model (including key
length) of their crypto products. Organisations and individuals may not
distribute encryption products produced abroad. People may only use
encryption products approved by the Commission, and they may not use
commercial encryption products developed by themselves or produced
abroad. For this use, they must have approval by the Commission. Only
foreign diplomatic missions and consulates are exempted from this
approval. The deadline for registration of crypto users was 31 January 2000.

According to a "clarification letter" sent to US businesses in China in
early March 2000, this involves, however, only specialized hardware and
software for which encryption and decoding operations are core
functions. As a result, products in which cryptography is only built-in
are exempted. Moreover, the letter clarified that the regulations do not
entail key escrow.
However, the clarification letter only seems to apply to pre-2000
products. All products since 2000 seem to require a license.

For wireless crypto products, China seems to require use of a Chinese
proprietary algorithm, and AES and WEP must be disabled.
--
Ðiefulen