how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

Old September 26th, 2009, 10:21 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ken Blake

Default how to drive from Bronx to Manhattan First Avenue

On Sat, 26 Sep 2009 13:49:41 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Sep 26, 4:16*pm, Slim wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice train ride up the Hudson or out to
Montauk, but *there is the added value of being able to control your
environment and company while driving that just aren't possible on the
train.

Actually, one has MORE control when taking the train as compared to
driving in congested areas. I've driven that route and it is often
JAMMED with traffic.

Motorists sitting in a traffic jam have NO "control over their
environment". They can not stand up and stretch. They can not pee.
They can not take a nap. They can not cease staring at the tail
lights in front of them less traffic begin to move. They have to
breath fumes from all the other stuck cars. They have to listen to
screaming motorists and horns.

Admittedly in the really bad traffic jams people get out and start up
card games. But even you are not "controlling your company", your
card partners are whoever happens to be handy.

Further, even when traffic in that area is moving, drivers are very
aggressive. Volume is high. There is a "competition" going on over
who exits first. Driving there is not for the faint of heart or ill
tempered. It is not relaxing.

I agree completely.

I used to commute into NYC on a commuter bus from Rockland County.
Every now and then there was a terrible traffic situation, and I knew
I was going to be late for work. It may sound unlikely but I used to
be extremely happy that I wasn't driving, because I knew that if I
were driving, the traffic would create terrible pressure on me and
make me press and take risks to speed up the ride. Not being in
control was a wonderful benefit, because it relaxed me enormously.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Old September 26th, 2009, 11:16 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sep 26, 4:16?pm, Slim wrote:

[...]

Similarly, I've come into the city in the middle of rush hour and arrived as
fast as if I'd arrived at 2am. I was using the subway system, immune to the
traffic.

Old September 29th, 2009, 03:16 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On 2009-09-26 16:49:41 -0400, said:

On Sep 26, 4:16*pm, Slim wrote:

Don't get me wrong, I love a nice train ride up the Hudson or out to
Montauk, but *there is the added value of being able to control your
environment and company while driving that just aren't possible on the
train.

Actually, one has MORE control when taking the train as compared to
driving in congested areas. I've driven that route and it is often
JAMMED with traffic.

True.

Motorists sitting in a traffic jam have NO "control over their
environment".

I control the temperature and whats on the radio.

They can not stand up and stretch.

I take a break every two hours or so when I am on the road.

Do you REALLY need to stretch more than that?

They can not pee.

See the above.

They can not take a nap.

You shouldn't do that on a bike, blades or skateboard either.

They can not cease staring at the tail
lights in front of them less traffic begin to move.

I always have alternate routes planned. For example, LIE jammed? Take
the Northern Parkway.

Plus I have found many enjoyable places to see, and eat at when I am
taking "the road less travelled".

And if I see some thing of interest, I can pull over and explore,
sorry....can't get off the train whenever I want.

When the train comes to a halt, I am imprisoned in a series of tubes,
jailed with no recourse execpt to serve my sentence and hope that we
actually "get under way shortly". My fellow passengers are often
boorish and ill-mannered, telling on cellphones, putting thier feet up
om seats, taking up two and even three seats with shopping bags, and
then there are those who don't believe in soap...sorry, the train
experience in not utopia.

The train is nice for what it is, and I really enjoy it every once in a
while, for the experice of taking the train.

But me and my family also enjoy our car, and we shouldnot be made to
feel guilty about using it.

Have a nice day.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 29th, 2009, 03:18 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On Sep 26, 4:16?pm, Slim wrote:

[...]

While that is possible, its highly unlikely as there are far fewer
trains at 2:00am than at rush hour.

PLUS there are the repair delays to deal with.
--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 29th, 2009, 04:25 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
AZ Nomad[_3_]

On Sep 26, 4:16?pm, Slim wrote:

[...]

If you're going to be so ****ing anal about it, then you're
right. I'd arrive FASTER during rush hour than if I'd taken the train
at 2am.
Old September 29th, 2009, 09:41 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
slim

On Sep 26, 4:16?pm, Slim wrote:

[...]

It has nothing to do with being anal as being correct.

If you are lucky enough to catch a train entering a station at 2am
there won't be a problem, but since there is a longer wait between
trains at that hour its reasonable to assume that it will take you
longer.

Also there is track work done at that time, when trains are re-routed
or entire lines skip stops adding to travel time.

Have a nice day.

--
"A nickel isn't worth a dime today." - Y. Berra

Old September 30th, 2009, 02:44 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 28, 10:16*pm, Slim wrote:

Motorists sitting in a traffic jam have NO "control over their
environment".

I control the temperature and whats on the radio.

Except when it was a very hot day and the car a/c is struggling to
keep up with the beating sun and heat from all the other cars
surrounding you.

Except when a car nearby is blasting their super sized stereo,
drowning out anything you're attempting to listen to.

Except when other passengers don't like what you want to listen. On a
new you can use your headphones and be selective.

They can not stand up and stretch.

I take a break every two hours or so when I am on the road.

Not if you're locked in traffic and can't get off to take a break.

They can not pee.

See the above.

Older people and people with certain ailments have to 'go' more
often.

They can not take a nap.

You shouldn't do that on a bike, blades or skateboard either.

But we're talking about the train. Where you can take a nap.

They can not cease staring at the tail
lights in front of them less traffic begin to move.

I always have alternate routes planned. For example, LIE jammed? Take
the Northern Parkway.

That will be jammed too.

Old September 30th, 2009, 02:45 AM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 29, 4:41*pm, Slim wrote:

If you are lucky enough to catch a train entering a station at 2am
there won't be a problem, but since there is a longer wait between
trains at that hour its reasonable to assume that it will take you
longer.

I tried driving at 2 am. Well, guess what! That's when they do road
construction! Lanes closed, traffic jammed up!
Old September 30th, 2009, 04:50 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
ArbH

wrote in message
On Sep 29, 4:41 pm, Slim wrote:

We have decided to rent car from Boston. Drive the scenic Connecticut SR 196
to Hartford. Have our business meeting next morning. Return the rental car
there. Take the Greyhound direct to Manhattant. Becuase if we take the
train, we will need to change train at New Haven. Train will be nearly an
hour longer and cost twice as much. Thank you for all your advices.

Old September 30th, 2009, 05:39 PM posted to nyc.general,nyc.transit,rec.travel.usa-canada
[email protected]

On Sep 30, 8:50*am, "ArbH" wrote:
Take the Greyhound direct to Manhattan.

Doesn't that take you to the Port Authority Bus Terminal? If so, that
is a long way from your original destination of Park Avenue.
Depending on the circumstances, going cross town can be surprisingly
challenging. If you have luggage, you probably will want to take a
cab rather than walking or taking a city bus. If I were going
somewhere on Park Avenue close to Grand Central Terminal, I would
choose the train over the Greyhound bus even it it did cost more.