United Airlines loses luggage

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:01 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
US PAX

Default United Airlines loses luggage

http://www.theupperdeck.com/?p=71

Has United Airlines ever lost your luggage?

Old October 31st, 2009, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
JimL

--

No. They just damage it to hell every time. Gets so,whenever I just
haveto fly United, I gather up the old, mostly no longer used, luggage
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:00 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
PeterL

On Oct 31, 3:01*pm, "US PAX" wrote:

Has United Airlines ever lost your luggage?

--

Every airline in the world has lose someone's luggage at one time or
another.
Old November 1st, 2009, 05:09 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
A Mate[_2_]

Which airline doesn't!!!

From time to time.

Old November 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Runge17

Default United Airlines loses luggage oh yeah nice topic and another useless thread

Old November 1st, 2009, 01:05 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Keith Willshaw[_4_]

"JimL" wrote in message
On Oct 31, 5:01 pm, "US PAX" wrote:
http://www.theupperdeck.com/?p=71

Has United Airlines ever lost your luggage?

--

No. They just damage it to hell every time. Gets so,whenever I just
haveto fly United, I gather up the old, mostly no longer used, luggage
from self and family and regard it as disposable after a trip.

Poor baggage handling tends to be a function of the airport rather
than the carrier unless the checkin operator sticks the wrong
label on the bag which happened to me once. I was flying to
London from Columbus Ohio via Newark and my bag didnt arrive.

When we looked closely at the baggage stub it was clear that they
had sent my bag to Boston. I got it back 3 days later.

The worst airport for damaged baggage I have come across was JFK.
They totally destroyed one suitcase which looke like it had been
dragged across the tarmac behind the bagges truck. Another had
wheel tracks across it where it had been run over !

The slowest baggage handling was at Bahrain were a wait of one
to two hours before the baggage made it to thecarousel was normal.

Seasoned travellers used to head for one of the few seats and
read or listen to music while waiting.

Keith

Old November 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

US PAX wrote:
http://www.theupperdeck.com/?p=71

Has United Airlines ever lost your luggage?

No, but Northwest has, a couple of times. (On direct flights to
Minneapolis from Los Angeles, when I'd arrived at LAX well before my
departure time and there were no stopovers!)

Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:07 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Gregory Morrow[_173_]

Default Lose scRunge [WAS:: United Airlines loses luggage

scRunge17 blabbles:

not interesting

More interesting than what you scribble...

--
Best
Greg

Old November 2nd, 2009, 11:06 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada
Ad absurdum per aspera[_2_]

When we looked closely at the baggage stub it was clear that they
had sent my bag to Boston. I got it back 3 days later.

How many of us take a moment to look at their stub? I don't, and
probably should. ( Presumably that particular failure mechanism is
reduced in the age of barcoded baggage stickers generated by the same
computer that is handling your itinerary and possibly printing your
boarding pass. Then again, when things are crowded at the counter,
it's easy enough for the clerk to put the right tag on the wrong
bag...)

I *do* have my name prominently and indelibly marked on the outside of
my bags... and the inside too, as a final line of defense against
truly vanished rather than merely misrouted luggage. The warehouse in
Alabama or wherever that auctions off unidentifiable and too-long-
unclaimed baggage has enough to do; no sense burdening them with my
stuff. (Ah, here we go:http://www.unclaimedbaggage.com/)

As for damage, I don't check (or mail) *anything* unless the contents
are packed to survive being dropped off a second-storey balcony, which
is about the distance to the tarmac from the cargo hatch of a lot of
big passenger jets. And I get luggage out of the secondhand stores
and rummage sales (my gold standard is one of those big Samsonite
clams for a few dollars) and regard it as being, well, disposable
packaging. (Used-looking luggage kinda goes with my aversion to glad-
ragging while on travel anyway. Why look like any more of a target
than I have to?)

That having been said, I've not yet had the airlines lose a bag (knock
on formica...) nor seriously damage one, though I seldom fly the
airlines most notorious for this, per the fun facts on
http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/reports/
nor the airports that people seem to think of as riskiest for luggage.

--Joe