How are things in New Orleans these days?

Old November 9th, 2009, 03:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

Default How are things in New Orleans these days?

I used to visit New Orleans every few years to get my fix of the great
food and the music scene. I haven't been back since Katrina. I've
heard mixed stories of whether things are back to normal these days. I
would like to take a long weekend in New Orleans, perhaps in December.
I would appreciate current feedback from tourists or residents.

Thanks.
Old November 10th, 2009, 12:50 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Robin*wrote:

I would appreciate current feedback from tourists or residents.

New Orleans is pretty much back to normal; you may notice a business or
two missing from when you were there before, and you may notice not
quite as many people depending on where you are, but the areas that
tourists visit are fine and were mostly unharmed anyway. Here is a
thread from last year on the same subject:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.t...759a6536b95fc9

Old November 10th, 2009, 02:31 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

Nile wrote:

Here is a
thread from last year on the same subject:

Thank you. Before posting my inquiry I did a search which should have
turned up this thread.

A specific question . . . there is a reference in the thread to crime,
and crime has always been an issue in New Orleans, tho perhaps no more
than in any city. I plan to spend my time in areas where there are lots
of people, but I have limited vision which makes me more of a potential
target than most people. If I carry a white cane I might as well paint
a target on my back; if I don't carry the cane anyone who watches me for
more than a few seconds can mentally paint the same target. I've never
had any problems in New Orleans, and I'm hoping that the environment
hasn't changed significantly. (In fact, the closest I've had to an
issue is people who are a little too aggressive in offering help.) Any
feedback appreciated.
Old November 10th, 2009, 11:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

I would appreciate current feedback from tourists or residents.

The tourist areas are pretty much back to normal, as are the
plantations outside the city (like Oak Alley).

New Orleans definitely has a serious crime problem, but you should be
fine if you do a few things:

1. Stay in busy tourist areas with lots of other tourists around you.
Don't walk down a dark, deserted sidewalk.

2. You're more likely to encounter rowdy behavior (drunks and so
forth) in the evenings, especially weekend evenings, so you may wish
to avoid those times.

3. Be careful in cemeteries as some are dangerous. A Google search
will give details.

4. Pickpockets love crowds, so guard your wallet. Don't put it in your
back pocket; it's the first place that pickpockets look. I like to
wear a money belt under my clothes when I'm vacationing. It's similar
to this one: http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Silk-Money-Belt/dp/
B0009U7RCK. I put most of my money, cards, and important papers (like
airline tickets) in it, and in my wallet I only put what I'll actually
need that day.

James
Old November 11th, 2009, 12:56 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Nile

Robin wrote:

crime has always been an issue in New Orleans, tho perhaps no more

than in any city.

No, it is more than in most other cities. But like James said, if you
stay in tourist and good shopping areas -- and avoid the adjacent
empty/dark streets -- then you don't normally see it and you should be
fine. The murder rate is mostly limited to inter-gang troubles,
although I've read about a couple of disturbing robbery killings in the
last year. In short, it shouldn't be any worse for the average tourist
than it was pre-Katrina.

Old November 11th, 2009, 04:44 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

JamesStep wrote:

The tourist areas are pretty much back to normal, as are the
plantations outside the city (like Oak Alley).

I've seen enough mentions of Oak Alley to send me to the web sites
mentioned earlier so that I can check it out. I've not done a
plantation tour.

New Orleans definitely has a serious crime problem, but you should be
fine if you do a few things:

1. Stay in busy tourist areas with lots of other tourists around you.
Don't walk down a dark, deserted sidewalk.

All sidewalks are dark for me grin but I try to stay in areas with
lots of tourists as it is easier for me to orient if there are lots of
people around. So I will take your words to heart.

2. You're more likely to encounter rowdy behavior (drunks and so
forth) in the evenings, especially weekend evenings, so you may wish
to avoid those times.

I'm inclined to think that this is also the time that I'm likely to run
into the best music, though. I'm not horribly concerned about rowdy
behavior; it's outright harmful behavior that bothers me more.

3. Be careful in cemeteries as some are dangerous. A Google search
will give details.

Yes, I've heard this. I'll do some more research. If I go to the
cemeteries with a tour and stay with the crowd (which I'm most likely to
do) does this mitigate the problem?

4. Pickpockets love crowds, so guard your wallet. Don't put it in your
back pocket; it's the first place that pickpockets look. I like to
wear a money belt under my clothes when I'm vacationing. It's similar
to this one:http://www.amazon.com/Rick-Steves-Silk-Money-Belt/dp/
B0009U7RCK. I put most of my money, cards, and important papers (like
airline tickets) in it, and in my wallet I only put what I'll actually
need that day.

Good advice.
Old November 11th, 2009, 04:45 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

Nile wrote:
Robin wrote:

crime has always been an issue in New Orleans, tho perhaps no more

than in any city.

No, it is more than in most other cities. But like James said, if you
stay in tourist and good shopping areas -- and avoid the adjacent
empty/dark streets -- then you don't normally see it and you should be
fine. The murder rate is mostly limited to inter-gang troubles,
although I've read about a couple of disturbing robbery killings in the
last year. In short, it shouldn't be any worse for the average tourist
than it was pre-Katrina.

OK, this is the kind of feedback I was looking for. I never had a
problem before, but I followed the advice of staying with the crowds.
(And I had better vision then.)
Old November 11th, 2009, 11:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Robin Stober

Hatunen wrote:

non-crime warning, though. Do not, repeat, do not, drink more
than one hurricane at Pat O'Brien's.

Even on a multi-day trip? grin

Old November 12th, 2009, 06:52 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

I've seen enough mentions of Oak Alley to send
me to the web sites mentioned earlier so that I
can check it out. *I've not done a plantation tour.

There are several plantations in the New Orleans area, but Oak Alley
is the most famous and it is quite beautiful. It's best known for its
double row of 300-year-old live oak trees that line its front walk.
You pay an admission fee to enter the grounds and your fee includes a
guided tour of the house, and then you're free to wander the grounds
on your own. There's also a nice little restaurant on the grounds. The
guided tour covers 2 floors of the mansion, but be aware that you have
to go up a fairly long flight of stairs if you want to see the
upstairs bedrooms (there's no elevator).

Incidentally, the MIssissippi river is right across the street from
the front yard, although you have to walk up a small berm (levee) to
see it. When the Delta Queen paddlewheel boat was still operating,
they'd pull up to the shore there and passengers would walk across the
street to tour the plantation.

I presume you don't drive since you are vision-impaired, so you might
want to check out Gray Line tours as they can take you there.

*If I go to the cemeteries with a tour and stay with the crowd
(which I'm most likely to do) does this mitigate the problem?

New Orleans cemeteries have above-ground burial in tombs, so it's easy
to go around a corner and find yourself isolated. But stay with a
group and you'll be just fine.

James