Help identifying photo [Yosemite Falls?]

Old October 6th, 2004, 11:47 PM
Peter Ibrahim

Default Help identifying photo [Yosemite Falls?]

Hi there,

Went to America over the summer and am putting together a website detailing
my trip, however I have misfiled one day's photos and am looking for help in
labelling them. They were taken in Yosemite National Park, and I'm pretty
sure they're of Yosemite Falls - however I just want to check they're not of
Bridalveil Falls/etc. I'm fairly certain I took them from near the visitor
center, which would indicate Yosemite Falls - but can anyone please confirm?

The 2 photos that I'm unsure of (its the same waterfall in both) are at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteribrahim/temp/

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks,

Peter

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Icono Clast

Peter Ibrahim wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're of Yosemite Falls - however I just want to check
they're not of Bridalveil Falls/etc.

The 2 photos that I'm unsure of (its the same waterfall in both) are at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteribrahim/temp/

The first is probably Vernal, the second probably Bridal Veil but I
wouldn't bet a cent I'm correct. Without doubt, neither is Yosemite.
Well, let me hedge by saying: I've never seen Yosemite Falls so tiny.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old October 7th, 2004, 04:34 PM
Todd Michel McComb

In article 1097145422.Wb/XCzw1dp3Kp20SEnsrDg@teranews,
Icono Clast wrote:
Well, let me hedge by saying: I've never seen Yosemite Falls so tiny.

It's really small, but it's Yosemite Falls. Those are the cliffs
around Yosemite Falls, although Yosemite Point is cut off in the
pictures.

Old October 7th, 2004, 06:45 PM
mark schneider

Icono Clast wrote in message news:1097145422.Wb/XCzw1dp3Kp20SEnsrDg@teranews...
Peter Ibrahim wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're of Yosemite Falls - however I just want to check
they're not of Bridalveil Falls/etc.

The 2 photos that I'm unsure of (its the same waterfall in both) are at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteribrahim/temp/

The first is probably Vernal, the second probably Bridal Veil but I
wouldn't bet a cent I'm correct. Without doubt, neither is Yosemite.
Well, let me hedge by saying: I've never seen Yosemite Falls so tiny.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Both these photos are of Yosemite Falls. Actually Upper Falls. This is
typical low water during the summertime especially after a less than
normal rainfall during the winter and therefore less snow to melt.
Beautiful pictures.
Old October 7th, 2004, 07:22 PM
Lawrence Akutagawa

These are images of upper Yosemite Falls. Reason for the diminshed flow is
that the watershed feeding the falls on the one hand is not very large, on
the other had been heavily glaciated such that there is relatively little
soil to absorb, then leach out water. Images probably taken around the late
June - late July timeframe. By mid/late August, the flow diminishes to a
trickle. Except right after a thunderstorm, you can expect the falls to be
dry come mid September or so. Heaviest flow is around late April/mid May,
with the height of the melt being the very heaviest.

Old October 7th, 2004, 08:46 PM
Todd Kunioka

Peter Ibrahim wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're of Yosemite Falls - however I just want to check
they're not of Bridalveil Falls/etc.

The 2 photos that I'm unsure of (its the same waterfall in both) are at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteribrahim/temp/

The first is probably Vernal, the second probably Bridal Veil

The OP says they're two views of the same falls [one is more magnified
than the other].

but I
wouldn't bet a cent I'm correct. Without doubt, neither is Yosemite.
Well, let me hedge by saying: I've never seen Yosemite Falls so tiny.

I was actually almost sure the photos were of upper Yosemite Falls,
but didn't want to post because I was not absolutely sure. I'm still
not absolutely sure, but I've compared the pictures above to other
photos I have of upper Yosemite, and I'm still pretty sure they are of
upper Yosemite.

TK
Old October 7th, 2004, 10:53 PM
Peter Ibrahim

[...]

Thanks for all the posts guys, the information is much appreciated. I'd
seen a lot of pictures of Upper Yosemite and they threw me off slightly -
the difference in volume was pretty hefty so I wasn't sure if what I'd
photographed was actually Yosemite; I'm glad of the confirmation.

As for the date - it was a couple of days into August, so that was a pretty
accurate estimate

Posted here several months back when planning a large road trip around
America - everyone here was helpful and the information came in handy. I'm
currently finishing off my website full of photos of the trip (Grand Canyon,
Zion, Yosemite, Havasu, etc.), I'll post the URL up here when its done.

Cheers

Pete

Old October 7th, 2004, 11:49 PM
MadHatter

Peter Ibrahim wrote:
I'm pretty sure they're of Yosemite Falls - however I just want to check
they're not of Bridalveil Falls/etc.

The 2 photos that I'm unsure of (its the same waterfall in both) are at:
http://www.btinternet.com/~peteribrahim/temp/

The first is probably Vernal, the second probably Bridal Veil but I
wouldn't bet a cent I'm correct. Without doubt, neither is Yosemite.
Well, let me hedge by saying: I've never seen Yosemite Falls so tiny.
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net

Both photographs are of Upper Yosemite Falls.
Old October 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Icono Clast

Lawrence Akutagawa wrote:
Heaviest flow is around late April/mid May,
with the height of the melt being the very heaviest.

That's why that's when I go.
A San Franciscan whose reverence for each god is equal.