Qantas Boeing 747 seating question

Old February 8th, 2005, 03:05 AM
Paul

Default Qantas Boeing 747 seating question

If anybody is familiar or has traveled from US to Australia on their
747 aircraft, maybe you can help me with this question:

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Australia departing from
LA. We would prefer not to share the long flight with a stranger seated
next to us in the 3-seat rows by the windows (Economy).
There are a few 2-seat rows (70 through 73) at the very back (see
:http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qan...ng_747-400.php)

Are they too noisy, too crowded as people line up to use restrooms, or
is there any other downside to them?
I will appreciate any comments or opinions.

thanks

Paul

Old February 8th, 2005, 04:12 AM
David Bennetts

"Paul" wrote in message
If anybody is familiar or has traveled from US to Australia on their
747 aircraft, maybe you can help me with this question:

My wife and I are planning our first visit to Australia departing from
LA. We would prefer not to share the long flight with a stranger seated
next to us in the 3-seat rows by the windows (Economy).
There are a few 2-seat rows (70 through 73) at the very back (see
:http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Qan...ng_747-400.php)

Are they too noisy, too crowded as people line up to use restrooms, or
is there any other downside to them?
I will appreciate any comments or opinions.

thanks

Paul

A lot of people do prefer those seats, as there is also a little more room
at the window side where the fuselage walls curve around.
The other downside to them is that if the aircraft encounters turbulence
involving some pitching, the movement is greater at the back than in the
centre of the aircraft. I don't think they're any more noisy than other
seats, as the restrooms are a bit further back. The very last row has an
emergency exit behind, so it is possible that passengers may loiter there in
flight.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old February 8th, 2005, 06:27 AM
Ken Pisichko

David Bennetts wrote:

... The very last row has an
emergency exit behind, so it is possible that passengers may loiter there in
flight.

Loitering you say??? Hey, no one owns any "territory" on one of the Qantas birds. We are
just paying passengers with a seat "temporapily" allocated to us. No rights of property
are implied nor assumed - especially when in the air.

As for loitering, let me redefine that space from a "loiterer's" perspective. I am about
6'5" tall, and that location IS a good place to stand for a few minutes to stretch one's
legs if you just happen to be doing the flight in one of those seats forward of the 70-73
seat rows.

Standing there for a few minutes is a necessity in my mind - at least you can even
stretch there and touch your toes a few times. Loitering! Hah, my backside ;-)

Old February 8th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Peter

In article , Ken Pisichko says...
David Bennetts wrote:

... The very last row has an
emergency exit behind, so it is possible that passengers may loiter there in
flight.

Loitering you say??? Hey, no one owns any "territory" on one of the Qantas birds. We are
just paying passengers with a seat "temporapily" allocated to us. No rights of property
are implied nor assumed - especially when in the air.

As for loitering, let me redefine that space from a "loiterer's" perspective. I am about
6'5" tall, and that location IS a good place to stand for a few minutes to stretch one's
legs if you just happen to be doing the flight in one of those seats forward of the 70-73
seat rows.

Standing there for a few minutes is a necessity in my mind - at least you can even
stretch there and touch your toes a few times. Loitering! Hah, my backside ;-)

Sounds like loitering to me. And no, I don't begrudge you doing so. I'm
around six foot, and I find those seats a bit squeezy. Getting up and
about is a rich pleasure after several hours fidgeting. It must be far
worse for people taller than I, who can feel every last millimetre of
the limited space.

Nevertheless, the movement around the rear rows of the plane is going to
disturb those passengers seated there.

I really can't see anything for it except to regard a long flight as a
test for mind and body. You try to get as comfortable as possible, but
it's not luxury by any stretch of the imagination, and I use that word
advisedly.

Pete
Old February 8th, 2005, 09:16 PM
David Bennetts

"Ken Pisichko" wrote in message
David Bennetts wrote:

[...]

;-)

Well, according to my dictionary definition, loitering is simply spending
time idly or lingering. There's no connotation of it being not allowable or
illegal, so don't know why you've taken exception to it. I can never sleep
on any aircraft flights, and often use the same space as you do to stretch
and avoid the delights of DVT.

Regards

David Bennetts

Old February 8th, 2005, 11:22 PM
David Springthorpe

On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 23:27:33 -0600, Ken Pisichko wrote:

David Bennetts wrote:

... The very last row has an
emergency exit behind, so it is possible that passengers may loiter there in
flight.

It's a popular spot for toileting also (just remember to go in the little room
and close the door first).....

DS
Old February 8th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Ken Pisichko

David Springthorpe wrote:

It's a popular spot for toileting also (just remember to go in the little room
and close the door first).....

Hummm. This sounds like "if I were a dog, I'd be looking for a fire hydrant/plug".

At least on a 747 it is easier to go to the "loo" On a B-52 the aircrew tries to
hold it because the first fellow that uses the pottie has to empty all of them.....
Any they don't flush either - just white porcelain cans :-)

Old February 9th, 2005, 03:34 AM
Paul

Thanks David, and thanks to you all.
I agree David, loitering is not a bad thing at all :-)
I guess I'll see you all guys if I do get the last row of the plane!!!

I will call Qantas this same week and book my vacation.
Can't wait to go there

thanks

Paul