Canadian university student looking for Aus+NZ advice

Old February 13th, 2005, 03:49 AM
Jem Berkes

Christchurch would meet all but one of your criteria - good business
environment /strong IT sector; flat city with fabulous biking
opportunities - nearby hills riddled with mountain bike trails; dry
climate; high sunshine hours 25 Km of coastline - BUT - too cold for
swimming without a wet suit from May (possibly April in a bad year)
onwards.

Thanks Vicki, I'll start researching Christchurch a bit more. No disaster
regarding swimming temperature

Could you tell me, is the major university in the area Lincoln University?

I just want to prod around and see how easy it might be to locate other
students who want to share housing. This is something I'm trying to compare
between Brisbane to see what kind of accommodations are possible.
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:10 AM
Scotty

You can also have a look at Otago Uni. A few hours drive from Christchurch
nut more beautiful. But DAMN it gets cold in Winter (See Winter temps, like
SCOTLAND!!!!)

.. .

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:38 AM

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 22:43:50 +1300, vicki Steven
wrote:

in article , Jem Berkes at
wrote on 12/2/05 3:29 PM:

I'd like to set up base in a largish city from where I can continue with
my own consulting work, and/or do odd technical jobs for area companies.
Local technical/engineering employment opportunities would be a plus, but
really not too important -- all I need is a computer to make money.

What I do need for sure is a city with a large university population.
Also, I am an avid cyclist and would like to be able to travel both
inside and outside the city by bicycle. For instance, biking to the ocean
coast would be fantastic. Can one swim in April - June?

Christchurch would meet all but one of your criteria - good business
environment /strong IT sector; flat city with fabulous biking opportunities
- nearby hills riddled with mountain bike trails; dry climate; high sunshine
hours 25 Km of coastline - BUT - too cold for swimming without a wet suit
from May (possibly April in a bad year) onwards.

Vicki

Vickie - it gets as cold as in winter!
Damp, damp, damp, plus add the smog problem!
Those forever blowing easterly winds that makes days miserable!

Cath

Old February 13th, 2005, 04:40 AM

On Sun, 13 Feb 2005 03:49:25 GMT, Jem Berkes wrote:

Christchurch would meet all but one of your criteria - good business
environment /strong IT sector; flat city with fabulous biking
opportunities - nearby hills riddled with mountain bike trails; dry
climate; high sunshine hours 25 Km of coastline - BUT - too cold for
swimming without a wet suit from May (possibly April in a bad year)
onwards.

Thanks Vicki, I'll start researching Christchurch a bit more. No disaster
regarding swimming temperature

Could you tell me, is the major university in the area Lincoln University?

Canterbury University also look at College of Education which has a
degree programme in conjunction with IIRC Grifth University in
Australia.

I just want to prod around and see how easy it might be to locate other
students who want to share housing. This is something I'm trying to compare
between Brisbane to see what kind of accommodations are possible.

www.purenz.com

www.aaguide.co.nz

Cath
Old February 13th, 2005, 04:42 AM
Terry Towelling

"Jem Berkes" wrote in message
.. .

I know the temps this time of year are mild. I don't mind biking 3 to 4
hours to go somewhere interesting. But I want to avoid damp conditions.

Then stay away from Brisbane.

Old February 13th, 2005, 08:35 PM
Terry Towelling

"Jem Berkes" wrote in message
.. .
I know the temps this time of year are mild. I don't mind biking 3 to 4
hours to go somewhere interesting. But I want to avoid damp conditions.

Then stay away from Brisbane.

Even in the fall/winter? When I compare climate stats to Melbourne...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT002970
http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/world/c...ml?tt=TT003020

(for April-June) the relative humidity seems lower in Brisbane. There does
seem to be more average rainfall in Brisbane but I'm sure I can put up

with
that for the significantly warmer climate

Then stay away from Melbourne