Backpack recommendation for 3 month EuroTrip

Old May 27th, 2006, 12:31 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

Default Backpack recommendation for 3 month EuroTrip

Hi:

One of my family members will be doing some backpacking in Europe for a few
months this summer.

I've been trying to find a backpack for them that is suitable (based on the
requirements below) for a young adult male but so far no luck.

Here are our requirements:

-conversion style-pack (those backpacks with the flap that covers the hip
belt and shoulder straps so when you go on a plane or train the straps can
be stowed away)
-should be comfortable for young male adult (e.g. padded waist-belt that
should carry it on the waist and not the shoulders. Should straps should
also be adjustable)
-decent size (something between a minimum of 80 litres to a maximum of 100
litres capacity. We'd prefer something at 90 litres or higher if possible).
-NO daypack necessary
-multiple-entry points for packing (e.g. not top-loading only) or
multiple-compartments. For example, having a zipper that goes around the
sides for the top 1/2 of the pack would provide convenience of access.

They do not need a daypack, they are just looking for a large capacity
backpack that has the hip belt and shoulder straps that can be stowed away.
However, the only packs we've been able to find so far are those top-loading
only backpacks (Which are huge but it is inconvenient to only be able to
load clothes, etc. from the top of the backpack) without the stow-away
straps.

Any suggestions for stores in the Greater Vancouver area (particularly
around Vancouver/Burnaby/ and West/North Van?)

Thanks.

SS

Old May 27th, 2006, 10:29 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

On Fri, 26 May 2006 23:31:29 GMT, "Scattershot@@@"
wrote:

-decent size (something between a minimum of 80 litres to a maximum of 100
litres capacity. We'd prefer something at 90 litres or higher if possible).

90 litres to tour europe? what's he doing? That's a massive pack,
and I'd really recommend somehting smaller, I also don't really see
the point of stow away straps, my backpack has done 100 or so flights
and all sorts of other trips - it was the cheapest pack I could find
at the time, so it's certainly not high quality.

Jim.
Old May 27th, 2006, 11:37 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

For one, the young lad has size 15 feet so carrying 2 extra-pairs of shoes
(1 dress shoes and one hiking shoes) will take up room.
Plus. there's the electronics (digital camera, cellphone, battery charger,
ipod for storing extra photos, rechargable batteries, etc.) and travel book.

I found a 75 litre pack to be fine for myself, but with the extra stuff he
is carrying I figure he'll need 85 litres or more to be safe...

My pack (Without the stow away straps) got snagged and tore off on a
conveyor belt btw...

Old May 27th, 2006, 11:48 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:37:34 GMT, "Scattershot@@@"
wrote:

For one, the young lad has size 15 feet so carrying 2 extra-pairs of shoes
(1 dress shoes and one hiking shoes) will take up room.
Plus. there's the electronics (digital camera, cellphone, battery charger,
ipod for storing extra photos, rechargable batteries, etc.) and travel book.

I travel with 3 pairs of shoes - I've even carried my rollerblades
before now, I also carry a lot more electronics (everything above
except SLR camera with multiple lenses instead of a Point and Shoot
and a laptop, wireless router.) and lot more than one book, I
generally have around 5 on a longer trip.

Are you sure you're not packing too much other stuff?

Jim.
Old May 27th, 2006, 08:38 PM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

On Sat, 27 May 2006 10:37:34 GMT, Scattershot@@@ wrote:
For one, the young lad has size 15 feet so carrying 2 extra-pairs of shoes
(1 dress shoes and one hiking shoes) will take up room.
Plus. there's the electronics (digital camera, cellphone, battery charger,
ipod for storing extra photos, rechargable batteries, etc.) and travel book.

I found a 75 litre pack to be fine for myself, but with the extra stuff he
is carrying I figure he'll need 85 litres or more to be safe...

My pack (Without the stow away straps) got snagged and tore off on a
conveyor belt btw...

The electronics should and really must fit into a day pack so they can be
carried on. Big packs like you are talking about will always be
checked. Wear the hiking boots when traveling with the main pack
since they are the largest item of footwear.

I think with those optimizations, and perhaps a little more care in
selecting what to pack, he can get by with a more reasonable sized pack.

If, not, here are a couple of suggestions.

Eagle Creek Grand Voyage
http://www.eaglecreek.com/10054.html

Jansport Mozambique
http://www.dmartstores.com/jamot0trpain.html

--
Photos and travelogues from Africa and Southeast Asia: http://www.exile.org
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:38 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

I went to Europe for a few months a couple of years ago and I found my 80
litre bag was a bit snug so with the electronics and shoe size he has I
think he can use the extra space...

Old May 29th, 2006, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.budget.backpack

If, not, here are a couple of suggestions.

Eagle Creek Grand Voyage
http://www.eaglecreek.com/10054.html

Jansport Mozambique
http://www.dmartstores.com/jamot0trpain.html

--

Thanks for the tips, those are 2 good links to start off with and both
places have resellers near where I live in Vancouver.

The only problem with the Mozambique model is that it isn't on the jansport
website so I thiink it may be discontinued....
http://www.jansport.com

I'll check both out in person and see how durable and spacious they are.

If anyone else has any suggestions (based on my requirements) for 90+ litre
packs please post a link to the backpack.

Thanks guys for the help!

SS