Advice re hotels in BKK please...

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old June 8th, 2004, 11:54 AM
Markku Grönroos

Default Advice re hotels in BKK please...

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message

At the moment I'm staying in the Grace Hotel on Sukhimvit Soi 3 for 930

baht
per night (about US$23). It's very clean and well-maintained, well located
(5 minutes' walk to skytrain), probably what I'd call a 3-star. I cannot
imagine what I could get for more money that would be worth the additional
expense.

The best value rooms are typically those with minimum services in a
relatively new hotel. In fancy hotels one must pay for a dazzling facade,
three swimming pools, ten restaurants and bars, room service, and ashtrays
in halls in which the name of the hotel is written on sand, gyms and so on.
You do so even if you do not use these facilities. In Thailand one typically
can get a room by 1000 when a "rack price" is something like 2500-4000. Even
in cheap hotels all rooms accomodate aircon and an icebox. Once in the
Chumpon province I hired a well maintained and spacious motel room with a
tiled floor, tidy bathroom and so on by 300. One should always check the
rooms for smelly matresses and mould (where visible).