Railway travel in Thailand

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:16 AM
Tony Day

Default Railway travel in Thailand

I am planning a visit to Thailand next January, and my schedule will be:

3 or 4 nights Bangkok (3 or 4 star hotel)
train to Chiang Mai
3 or 4 nights Chiang Mai
fly to Bangkok and, same day, train to Hua Hin
3 or 4 nights Hua Hin
train to Bangkok and fly home (to UK)

I would welcome advice on obtaining train tickets in advance. I wish to use
train 9, which is the fastest day train Bangkok-Chiang Mai. I have found a
website offering tickets in advance by mail, but at a ridiculous price.

So, do I have to struggle through the city soon after arrival to purchase
the reservation? Or might my hotel be able to arrange this? (At a price?)
Can it be done by telephone?

I would welcome any recent first hand experiences.

Tony

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:38 AM
Miguel Cruz

Tony Day wrote:
I am planning a visit to Thailand next January, and my schedule will be:

3 or 4 nights Bangkok (3 or 4 star hotel)
train to Chiang Mai
3 or 4 nights Chiang Mai
fly to Bangkok and, same day, train to Hua Hin
3 or 4 nights Hua Hin
train to Bangkok and fly home (to UK)

I would welcome advice on obtaining train tickets in advance. I wish to use
train 9, which is the fastest day train Bangkok-Chiang Mai. I have found a
website offering tickets in advance by mail, but at a ridiculous price.

You may want to take the train for the experience, but otherwise, bear in
mind that currently you can fly between Bangkok and Chiang Mai for US$25-30
pretty much any time just by showing up at the airport. There are discount
flights every couple hours and the airlines sell seats on a walk-up basis.
In the domestic departure hall at BKK you can find AirAsia, Orient Thai, and
Nok Air ticket sales booths for show-up-and-go passengers. Also Thai does it
for just a little bit more, and they have hourly flights.

Not sure if the situation will be the same in January (airlines could
collapse or withdraw from this highly competitive route market) but this
seems a little early to be planning minutiae that far into the future.

miguel

Old August 3rd, 2004, 08:46 AM
Francesca Porcu'

Dear Tony,
last year we needed to purchase in advance a sleeping car on the night train
from Bangkok to Trang. Since we were supposed to leave to Trang the same day
of our arrival in Thailand, we were concerned about the availabilty of
sleeping cars, so we decided to contact the following agency:
http://www.asia-discovery.com/
paid in advance the tickets plus a reasonable commission for the agency and
have them shipped via DHL to our address at our expense.
The envelope included the tickets and a regular invoice for them plus the
commission.
We were completely satisfied by the reliability of the agency.
Have a nice trip!
Francesca

Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:16 AM
Jan

snip

You may want to take the train for the experience, but otherwise,
bear in mind that currently you can fly between Bangkok and Chiang
Mai for US$25-30 pretty much any time just by showing up at the
airport. There are discount flights every couple hours and the
airlines sell seats on a walk-up basis. In the domestic departure
hall at BKK you can find AirAsia, Orient Thai, and Nok Air ticket
sales booths for show-up-and-go passengers. Also Thai does it for
just a little bit more, and they have hourly flights.

Not sure if the situation will be the same in January (airlines could
collapse or withdraw from this highly competitive route market) but
this seems a little early to be planning minutiae that far into the
future.

miguel

I'll second what Miguel has just said.
If you do want to book air travel ahead then the airasia web site is very
user friendly.
Trains can be booked in person at the station or through a travel agent in
Bangkok.

Jan

Old August 3rd, 2004, 09:24 AM
Nisse PowerMan

Tony Day wrote:

I am planning a visit to Thailand next January, and my schedule will be:

3 or 4 nights Bangkok (3 or 4 star hotel)
train to Chiang Mai
3 or 4 nights Chiang Mai
fly to Bangkok and, same day, train to Hua Hin
3 or 4 nights Hua Hin
train to Bangkok and fly home (to UK)

I would welcome advice on obtaining train tickets in advance. I wish to use
train 9, which is the fastest day train Bangkok-Chiang Mai. I have found a
website offering tickets in advance by mail, but at a ridiculous price.

So, do I have to struggle through the city soon after arrival to purchase
the reservation? Or might my hotel be able to arrange this? (At a price?)
Can it be done by telephone?

I would welcome any recent first hand experiences.

Tony

HEY! I took the same train in March 2001 and it was a great ride. But it
was FREEZING cold. On the day of departure it was raining, still the AC
of the diesel railcar was on full speed, bring warm clothes should it be
cold.

I made a stopover in Phitsanulok to se the very special buddha statue
there. Ticket was 681 THB including the stopover, a direct ride on SP9
Bangkok-Chiang Mai cost 481 THB at that time. SP9 is all 2:nd class AC.
Breakfast and lunch is served and included in the ticket price. Same
food for Farangs as for Thais. Tea and coffee is also available.

Toilets are a problem, they usually stop working after some hours so
plan your train trip.

Train departed Bangkok 08.25 and arrived 19.25 in Chiang Mai. The part
from Phitsanulok to Chiang Mai goes trough mountains, very beautiful.
The line passes two mountain ranges with several tunnels and over a
plain in between.

OF COURSE there is NO NEED to buy tickets long time in advance, better
up, now the Bangkok Subway opened and the end station is Hualompong
train station. Thus you can VERY easily get to the train station and buy
the tickets 1-2 days in advance, it's a piece of cake. Do it yourself,
it's the best solution.

/Anders

--
Remove the obvious part before replying by mail please!

Old August 3rd, 2004, 02:30 PM
Tony Day

"Miguel Cruz" wrote in message
Tony Day wrote:
[...]

If I wanted to fly I would have asked about flying. And the header would not
be Railway travel in Thailand.

Tony