Need suggestions on a Japan Itinerary

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:58 AM
Jose

Default Need suggestions on a Japan Itinerary

Hello everyone,

My name is Jose. I'm a 21 year old college student from New York City, and I
have been fascinated by Japanese culture for many years. I can remember when I
was a small child and had nothing to watch on mornings before school.... I'd
find on the television the Fuji morning news on a leased-time channel. It was
all in Japanese.. but I just watched it.

I could say that I fell in love with Japan from that moment.

With enough money in reserves I'm considering a trip to Japan next May/June. I
have put together a travel itinerary, that is air, hotel and train travel only,
based on the many months of research that I have done with books, internet
sites, etc.

Dave Fossett of the famous "Byun Byun Shinkansen" web site offered his comments
on my itinerary, and suggested I post my itinerary here to get some other
ideas.

So I was wondering if you all had any comments or suggestions regarding my
itinerary. Any and all help that you could provide would be most appreciated.

This itinerary covers the Tokyo, Kyoto and Osaka areas. Hakone was left out of
the picture for now.

And I do mean "for now" as this travel itinerary picture is all in a
preliminary stage. This is subject to change based on rate and timetable
changes on the part of the airline, trains and hotels.

Times for airplane and train rides are given in 24 hour format, so 4 PM is
1600, etc.

For the moment these are all Prince Hotels that I would stay at. (one of my
Japanese penpals' friends works at the first one in Shinagawa)

So here it goes, and again, please feel free to comment on the itinerary. Is
there something missing? Should I allow extra time to do something?

I've heard some comments about visiting the Kamakura, Enoshima and Nikko areas
already.

Thanks for looking,
Jose Ramos

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO VISIT JAPAN?
Updated: September 17, 2003

Assuming:
Depart Sunday, May 30, 2004 (arrive Monday)
Return Monday, June 7, 2004

SUNDAY, MAY 30, 2004
· Depart on Continental Airlines from Newark, 1105 (13h 50m)

MONDAY, MAY 31, 2004
· Arrive at Narita Airport, 1355
· Customs Clearance (about 30-60 Minutes)
· Make Reservation and Pay Fare for Narita Express
· DO NOT ACTIVATE JR RAIL PASS – WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY
· Narita Express #26 – Departs 1546, Arrive Shinagawa 1656
· Walk or Taxi to Takanawa Prince Hotel
· Check in to Takanawa Prince Hotel
· Spend evening in/around Shinagawa

TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2004
· Go to Shinagawa Station to Activate JR Rail Pass
· Sightseeing in Tokyo

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2004
· Sightseeing in Tokyo

THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2004
· Sightseeing in Tokyo (possibly suburban areas?)

FRIDAY, JUNE 4, 2004 – KYOTO – OTSU PRINCE HOTEL
· Shinkansen Hikari 269 to Kyoto: Depart 1114, Arrive 1341
· Transfer Luggage and Check In at Welcome Counter – Hachijyo Exit
· Sightseeing in Kyoto

SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2004
· Sightseeing in Kyoto and Osaka
· Take JR Kyoto Line Express (Reservations Necessary) to Osaka; Express trains
depart every 15 minutes during mid-day hours

SUNDAY, JUNE 6, 2004
· Check Out of Hotel and transfer to Kyoto Shinkansen station
· Shinkansen Hikari 310 to Tokyo: Depart 1200, Arrive 1443
· Take JR Chuo Line to Shinjuku (~15 Minutes)
· Walk to and Check Into Shinjuku Prince Hotel
· Spend a final evening in Japan

MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2004
· Check out of Shinjuku Prince Hotel
· Take the LAST TRAIN YOU’LL EVER TAKE IN JAPAN: Narita Express from
Shinjuku to Airport Terminal 2
· Narita Express #17: Depart 1142, Arrive 1258
· Check in at Airport
· Depart on Continental Airlines to Newark, 1620 (12h 40m)
· Arrive in Newark, 1600 same day
· TRIP OVER!

COSTS (exchange rates: 17 Sep 2003):
AIRFARE
Continental Airlines to Tokyo: $683
TRAINS
7-Day Japan Rail Pass: $244
One-Way Fare – N’EX: Airport to Shinagawa: $27 / 44 / 48
(NEX to Tokyo, 1st Class: Add $17. 1st Compartment: Add $21.)
HOTELS (Rates not definite!)
4 nights at Takanawa Prince Hotel:
$560, double occupancy w/o meals ($280 per person)
2 nights at Otsu Prince Hotel:
$212, double occupancy w/Breakfast ($106 per person)
1 night at Shinjuku Prince Hotel:
$215, double occupancy w/Breakfast ($107 per person)
Total per person $1,447 (164806 yen)

Plus spending money.

*****

The second itinerary allows for two additional days in Tokyo, staying at the
Shinjuku Prince Hotel, to see anything that might have been missed in the first
part.

So now assuming the same departure date and a return on Wednesday, June 9, the
above itinerary is the same, up until June 6:

SUNDAY, JUNE 6, 2004
· Check Out of Hotel and transfer to Kyoto Shinkansen station
· Shinkansen Hikari 310 to Tokyo: Depart 1200, Arrive 1443
· Take JR-Chuo Line to Shinjuku (~15 Minutes)
· Walk to and Check Into Shinjuku Prince Hotel

BETWEEN NOW AND WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9, 2004
Visit areas in Tokyo not covered in first portion of trip.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9, 2004
· Check out of Shinjuku Prince Hotel
· Take the LAST TRAIN YOU’LL EVER TAKE IN TOKYO: Narita Express from
Shinjuku to Airport Terminal 2
· Narita Express #17: Depart 1142, Arrive 1258
· Check in at Airport
· Depart on Continental Airlines to Newark, 1620 (12h 40m)
· Arrive in Newark, 1600 same day
· TRIP OVER!

COSTS (exchange rates: 17 Sep 2003)
AIRFARE
Continental Airlines to Tokyo: $683
TRAINS
14-Day Japan Rail Pass: $388 (current exchange rate)
[Although I might opt for the 7-Day Pass]
HOTELS (Rates not definite!)
4 nights at Takanawa Prince Hotel:
$560, double occupancy w/o meals ($280 per person)
2 nights at Otsu Prince Hotel:
$212, double occupancy w/Breakfast ($106 per person)
3 nights at Shinjuku Prince Hotel:
$600, double occupancy w/o means ($300 per person)
Total per person $1,757 (203911 yen)

Plus spending money.

AmiCode(1.0.0)
MA:5[6]X:**O:d-a-hu++
Note: Junk block string attached to e-mail address
Old September 20th, 2003, 06:20 AM
Steven M. Scharf

"Jose" wrote in message
Hello everyone,

My name is Jose. I'm a 21 year old college student from New York City, and

have been fascinated by Japanese culture for many years. I can remember

when I
was a small child and had nothing to watch on mornings before school....

I'd
find on the television the Fuji morning news on a leased-time channel. It

was
all in Japanese.. but I just watched it.

Stay in Ryokans, not hotels. It's not just the money you'll save, if you're
interested
in the Japanese culture then you'll have more of it in the Ryokans.

http://www.jpinn.com/ is one source.

Also, don't bother with 1st class on NEX, it's not worth it.

Old September 20th, 2003, 03:48 PM
John W.

Jose wrote:

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO VISIT JAPAN?
Updated: September 17, 2003

TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2004
· Go to Shinagawa Station to Activate JR Rail Pass
· Sightseeing in Tokyo

Activate your rail pass at Narita if you can.

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2004
· Sightseeing in Tokyo

THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2004
· Sightseeing in Tokyo (possibly suburban areas?)

I'd hit either Nikko or Kamakura; personally I don't think Tokyo is that
great as a tourist attraction. Night life is great, though.

FRIDAY, JUNE 4, 2004 – KYOTO – OTSU PRINCE HOTEL
· Shinkansen Hikari 269 to Kyoto: Depart 1114, Arrive 1341
· Transfer Luggage and Check In at Welcome Counter – Hachijyo Exit
· Sightseeing in Kyoto

Consider leaving for Kyoto on the earliest possible train, or even the
night before. You've pretty much killed a day just traveling; the sun
will set earlier than in the US (no daylight savings in Japan).

SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2004
· Sightseeing in Kyoto and Osaka
· Take JR Kyoto Line Express (Reservations Necessary) to Osaka; Express trains
depart every 15 minutes during mid-day hours

It'll be hard to get in both Kyoto and Osaka in one day. If you follow
my advice and go to Kyoto on a night train, I'd spend one day in Kyoto,
half a day in Himeji, half a day in Osaka.

SUNDAY, JUNE 6, 2004
· Check Out of Hotel and transfer to Kyoto Shinkansen station
· Shinkansen Hikari 310 to Tokyo: Depart 1200, Arrive 1443
· Take JR Chuo Line to Shinjuku (~15 Minutes)
· Walk to and Check Into Shinjuku Prince Hotel
· Spend a final evening in Japan

Again, take a later train so you can get more into the day.

Good luck!

John W.

Old September 20th, 2003, 04:45 PM
Gerry Scott-Moore

In article , Jose
wrote:

MONDAY, MAY 31, 2004
åá Arrive at Narita Airport, 1355
åá Customs Clearance (about 30-60 Minutes)
åá Make Reservation and Pay Fare for Narita Express
åá DO NOT ACTIVATE JR RAIL PASS ‰¥ã WAIT UNTIL TUESDAY

I assume you're avoiding activation to ensure your rail pass will get
you out on your last day. I made that mistake the first time I went.
I didn't count your days, but if that's your rationale, good thinking.

You're giving yourself plenty of time in Tokyo to recover and sight
see. Good.

I'm unsure why you are staying at the Takanawa Prince. I prefer staying
in Ueno or Asakasa to get closer to real people and communiites. Or in
Shinjuku to get closer to activity and nightlife. Since you're staying
at Shinjuku on the route back, I guess I'd suggest Asakasa,
specifically Ryokan Shigetsu for it's convenience.

I would leave for Kyoto as early as possible and wouldn't go either to
Nara or Osaka. Since you're spending such a brief time there I would
maximize it and save the others for another trip. Kyoto has plenty to
see and do, there's hardly any point in making these few days into
never-ending transit.

If I understand your second itinerary correctly, you don't leave Tokyo.
If you plan to visit Japan more in coming years I don't think that's
such a bad idea, though I'm sure some would be appalled. Me, I like to
concentrate on a town or city. I've concluded that I have to spend at
least three full days in a town to begin to get an idea of it. Two days
gets us almost there and is certainly acceptable.

But every one-day pass-through we've done, we felt hurried, confused,
and ultimately short-changed. When you spend all your time finding a
breakfast joint or a comfortable place to have a drink, it's nice to be
able to utilize that info over a few days, allowing you to put your
mind on the locale rather than navigating the locale.

We've concluded that a 14 day trip will get us about 4-5 places to
visit, and feel like we've done some significant exploration.

--
///---
Old September 21st, 2003, 04:59 PM
Jose

If I understand your second itinerary correctly, you don't leave Tokyo.
If you plan to visit Japan more in coming years I don't think that's
such a bad idea, though I'm sure some would be appalled. Me, I like to
concentrate on a town or city. I've concluded that I have to spend at
least three full days in a town to begin to get an idea of it. Two days
gets us almost there and is certainly acceptable.

Thanks for your suggestions. Actually in the second case I would spend a few
more days in Tokyo before returning (so Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo)

Jose
Old September 21st, 2003, 11:00 PM
Jose

Ok folks! Thank you for your suggestions. Here's a revised itinerary that I've
created based on all of your input.

Jose

HOW MUCH DOES IT COST TO VISIT JAPAN?
An itinerary #4 by Jose I. Ramos
Updated: September 21, 2003

Return Wednesday, June 9, 2004

SUNDAY, MAY 30, 2004 - DEPART FROM NEW YORK
· Depart on Continental Airlines from Newark, 1105 (13h 50m)

MONDAY, MAY 31, 2004 - TOKYO - SHINAGAWA PRINCE HOTEL
· Arrive at Narita Airport, 1355
· Customs Clearance (about 30-60 Minutes)
· Activate JR Rail Pass and make Narita Express reservation
· Narita Express #26 - Departs 1546, Arrive Shinagawa 1656
· Walk or Taxi to Takanawa Prince Hotel
· Check in to Takanawa Prince Hotel
· Spend evening in/around Shinagawa

TUESDAY, JUNE 1, 2004 - TOKYO
· Sightseeing in and around Tokyo

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 2, 2004 - NIKKO DAY TRIP
· Take Yamanote, Keihin-Tohoku or Tokaido train to Tokyo
· Take Tohoku or Yamagata Shinkansen to Utsunomiya
· Take JR Nikko Line to Nikko
· Sightseeing in Nikko
· Return trip in reverse order
· Spend evening in Tokyo

THURSDAY, JUNE 3, 2004 - YOKOHAMA / KAMAKURA DAY TRIP
· Sightseeing in Yokohama and Kamakura
· Spend evening in Tokyo

FRIDAY, JUNE 4, 2004 - KYOTO - OTSU PRINCE HOTEL
· Check Out of Hotel and transfer to Shinagawa Shinkansen station
· Take Shinkansen Hikari #263 to Kyoto: Depart 0817, Arrive 1044
· Transfer Luggage and Check In at Welcome Counter - Hachijyo Exit
· Sightseeing in Kyoto, then return to Hotel

SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2004 - HIMEJI / OSAKA DAY TRIP
· MORNING
o Take Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen to Himeji
o Sightseeing at Himeji Castle
· AFTERNOON
o Take Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen to Osaka
o Sightseeing in Osaka
· Return to Kyoto via JR Kyoto Line

SUNDAY, JUNE 6, 2004 - HAKONE - SHUNKOSO RYOKAN
· Check Out of Hotel; Baggage transferred to Kyoto Shinkansen Station
· Spend morning in Kyoto
· Shinkansen Hikari #312 to Odawara: Depart 1300, Arrive 1509
· Take Odakyu Line to Hakone Yumoto: Depart 1517, Arrive 1533 (300 Yen)
· Shuttle Bus departing 1535 (100 Yen) or Taxi (? Yen) to Shunkoso Ryokan
· Check in and RELAX! (Check in time 1500)

MONDAY, JUNE 7, 2004 - TOKYO - SHINJUKU PRINCE HOTEL
· Check Out of Ryokan (Check out time 1000)
· Hakone to Tokyo options
o Odakyu Super Hakone Limited Express (2020 Yen/$18): Depart Hakone
Yumoto 1017, arrive Shinjuku 1144
o JR Line Option (Free; Reserve for Limited Express)
§ Odakyu Line to Odawara (Depart 1024, Arrive 1038)
§ JR Odoriko Limited Express #102 to Tokyo (Depart 1049, Arrive 1150)
§ JR Chuo Line to Shinjuku (~15 Minutes)
· Walk to and Check Into Shinjuku Prince Hotel (Near Seibu Line
Platforms) (Check in time 1400)
· May want to make return Narita Express reservation in Shinjuku during
the afternoon

TUESDAY, JUNE 8, 2004 - TOKYO
o Sightseeing in and around Tokyo

Tuesday Night - Wednesday Morning lodging uncertain at this point

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9, 2004 - RETURN TO NEW YORK
· Check out of Shinjuku Prince Hotel (Check Out Time 1100)
· Take the LAST TRAIN YOU'LL EVER TAKE IN JAPAN: Narita Express from
Shinjuku to Airport Terminal 2
· Narita Express #17: Depart 1142, Arrive 1258
· Check in at Airport
· Depart on Continental Airlines to Newark, 1620 (12h 40m)
· Arrive in Newark, 1600 same day
· TRIP OVER!

COSTS (exchange rates: 21 Sep 2003)
AIRFARE
Continental Airlines to Tokyo: $683
TRAINS
14-Day Japan Rail Pass: $400
HOTELS (Rates not definite!)
4 nights at Takanawa Prince Hotel:
$550, double occupancy w/o meals ($275 per person)
2 nights at Otsu Prince Hotel:
$348, double occupancy w/Breakfast ($174 per person)
1 night at Shunkoso Ryokan:
Averaged Cost: $133 per person, final rate TBD ($88-177)
2 nights at Shinjuku Prince Hotel:
$355, double occupancy w/o meals ($178 per person)
Total per person $1,843 (207514 yen)
Old September 22nd, 2003, 04:07 AM
John W.

Jose wrote:

SATURDAY, JUNE 5, 2004 - HIMEJI / OSAKA DAY TRIP
· MORNING
o Take Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen to Himeji
o Sightseeing at Himeji Castle
· AFTERNOON
o Take Hikari or Kodama Shinkansen to Osaka
o Sightseeing in Osaka
· Return to Kyoto via JR Kyoto Line

Check the times for when the castle opens. If you're early (which I
suggest), take a walk around the castle to the parks. Also visit the
restored gardens to the West (left as you face from the station).
They're pretty cool. Also, if you're really early, you might take a
short walk to Otokoyama, a small hill directly West of the castle; if
this interests you let me know and I'll email you a map (not difficult
really, and the view of Himeji and the castle is nice).

Avoid the Shinkansen from himeji to Osaka. On the Shinkansen you
actually have to go to Shin Osaka, which is a station away from
Umeda/Osaka; unless it just perfectly matches your schedule, I'd take
the regular Shin Kaisoku (rapid express) on JR. The view from this train
is in my opinion much better, and it isn't that much slower. The Shin
Kaisoku arrives at Osaka Station (otherwise known as Umeda), and from
there I suggest taking the loop line to see Osaka Castle. The view is
excellent, even if you don't go inside the actual building (a
reconstruction).

John W.

Old September 22nd, 2003, 07:55 PM
Bob Myers

"Jose" wrote in message
Thanks for your suggestions. Actually in the second case I would spend a

few
more days in Tokyo before returning (so Tokyo - Kyoto - Tokyo)

Unless you save on the airfare by both arriving and departing
at Narita, why return to Tokyo? Kansai International (KIX), the
new international airport for the Osaka area, is easy to get to and
has lots of flights back to the U.S.. It wouldn't hurt to at least price
it that way and see how it comes out - keeping in mind the cost
of the shinkansen and NEX or bus tickets required to get back
to Tokyo and leave via Narita.

Bob M.