what is there to buy in china/beijing shangai

Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:33 PM

"Hey oneofcold, You seem to know your food stuff, care to hook up &
discuss some?"

Thanks, send me a pm.

"we over in alt.food.asian & uk.food+drink.chinese discuss some topics
in detail."

Will definitely check those out, thx.

"One of my main focus now is Eurasian foods & have made contact with a
Macau Eurasian family. Nice recipes if a little on the heavy side,
Feng &
Diablo(Devil) curry."

My favorite Macao dish is "African chicken" - not as heavy as some of
the others, and spicier.

"ps. i read that Germany had parts of Papua New Guinea as one of their
colonies a couple hundred years ago, maybe some interesting food
fusions
there huh?"

Trying to come up with the worst possible cuisine?

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:02 PM
DC.

snip
My favorite Macao dish is "African chicken" - not as heavy as some of
the others, and spicier.

Never heard of it but then i don't know much Macau cuisine, i'll ask.

"ps. i read that Germany had parts of Papua New Guinea as one of their
colonies a couple hundred years ago, maybe some interesting food
fusions
there huh?"

Trying to come up with the worst possible cuisine?

Heeheee... don't go there, a 1/2 cooked wild boar left to rot for a few days
underground with the Iban tribe in Borneo is the worst i've had, along with
the 5 year old frozen beef stockpiles of the EEC in the late 80's/early
90's... i've never seen beef coloured dark brown to black sold as 'fresh'
from frozen before until then. It was truely awful!

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 07:12 PM

Would I dare drink unbottled water in China? Five of us went in
August. Three suffered diarrhea. Strage thing is my wife never suffer
any of it. And it is not limited to China either.

Even thoug I prefer Cantonese, Boiled dumpling (jiao-zhe) is my all
time favorite dish, dumpling with ground pork and cabbage filling.
Taken with raw garlic and soy sauce, I am in heaven.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 08:02 PM

"Heeheee... don't go there, a 1/2 cooked wild boar left to rot for a
few days
underground with the Iban tribe in Borneo is the worst i've had, along
with
the 5 year old frozen beef stockpiles of the EEC in the late 80's/early
90's... i've never seen beef coloured dark brown to black sold as
'fresh'
from frozen before until then. It was truely awful!"

I can't compete with that...I've had some pretty hideous stuff tho.
Dog in Shenzen...raw snails in Japan...kidneys at a "traditional
British restaurant" in York... But Tunisia gets my vote for the worst
food in the world. You'd think a country that spent centuries under
Roman, Ottoman, and French rule should have great food, but they put
huge globs of this nasty orange slime on absolutely everything -
imagine a cross between mayonnaise and Taco Bell Hot Sauce. It got to
the point where I was scraping the orange stuff off everything I ate.
After a few days of this, I found a creperie in Carthage and was really
excited to finally have something non-vile...only to find they put the
orange slime on all the crepes!

Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:01 PM
DC.

Hmm... good choice for a wife, in case whole family goes down ill, you can
still count on her to keep you all going : )

As for jiao-zhi dumplings, have you tried the more delicate xiao long pau?
this one is more mainland/Northern. It is steamed & has a little knot where
the dumpling is wrapped/tied on top. You carefully lift the dumpling with
your chopsticks around the knot out of the bamboo basket & place it into
your spoon to bring to your bowl or plate. Bite off the knot to reveal the
inside meat filling swimming in meat soup/stock. Using your chopsticks, grab
some very finely sliced fresh ginger & vinegar & dip into the opening of the
dumpling or into the spoon holding the open topped dumpling, open your mouth
as wide & big as you can & eat, followed by big smile & demand for another 2
baskets of xiao long pau!

DC.

oups.com...

Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:34 PM
DC.

snip
I can't compete with that...I've had some pretty hideous stuff tho.
Dog in Shenzen...

No that is vile... i eat spare parts from pigs etc. but dog & horses are
totally vile. First of all, they're not bred for consumption but as working
animals or pets, and when they're in poor health, they get the chop & eaten,
would you eat a sick animal? even pig, sheep & cattle farmers get caught &
done for selling & processing sick animals for meat!

raw snails in Japan...kidneys at a "traditional
British restaurant" in York...

Heehee, there's another delicacy over here in the UK but not very popular,
it's called sweetbread... not bread & not sweet but sheeps brains!

But Tunisia gets my vote for the worst
food in the world. You'd think a country that spent centuries under
Roman, Ottoman, and French rule should have great food, but they put
huge globs of this nasty orange slime on absolutely everything -
imagine a cross between mayonnaise and Taco Bell Hot Sauce. It got to
the point where I was scraping the orange stuff off everything I ate.
After a few days of this, I found a creperie in Carthage and was really
excited to finally have something non-vile...only to find they put the
orange slime on all the crepes!

I was lucky to avoid that orange stuff? altogether & had some great couscous
then i headed south for the desert & a 1 week trek with 2 bedouins & 6
camels. They forced me to drink out of their sheep skin water bottles,
'boire, boire' they said in French, Non, Non... i replied then they poured
the water out into a plastic cup & i saw the quality of the water... you can
just imagine all the germs looking back up at me saying 'drink me, drink
me...'

After that week in the sand dunes & rocky plateau i finally got to a
sparsely populated town & crashed into the nearest hotel & endured my own
version of The English Patient, i swear i nearly lost my mind doing shuttle
runs to the yucky toilet with the smeared walls! my travelling partner & me
basically exchange hellos & toilet rolls along the corridor between the room
& toilet. It was that frequent! Ohhh.... enough!

DC.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:41 PM
Alan Street

€ snip
€
€ No that is vile... i eat spare parts from pigs etc. but dog & horses are
€ totally vile. First of all, they're not bred for consumption but as working
€ animals or pets, and when they're in poor health, they get the chop & eaten,
€ would you eat a sick animal? even pig, sheep & cattle farmers get caught &
€ done for selling & processing sick animals for meat!
€
€ raw snails in Japan...kidneys at a "traditional
€ British restaurant" in York...
€
€ Heehee, there's another delicacy over here in the UK but not very popular,
€ it's called sweetbread... not bread & not sweet but sheeps brains!
€

Actually, sweetbreads are the thymus glands or pancreas of sheep, hogs,
or calfs.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 09:46 PM

To show you how adventurous I am (and thus my frequent suffering from
diarrhea while travelling), I tried raw oysters many times on the road
side, of all places, in Trinidad. You can find road side oyster stands
quite often in Trinidad. The oysters are harvested, not farmed. So
the size is quite small, not like those we are accustomed to in the US.
But they cost much less too ($1 US=TT$6).

First of the oysters are still covered in some mud. So they must be
rinsed after being shelled. This is unlike what we are used to where
oysters are still in the shell and have been thoroughly cleaned before
being shelled for serving. On the stand you see these oysters already
shelled in a jar with the juice. The vendor pour measured amount of
oyster into a cup and rinse again with water. Before serving, some
kind of sauce is added. The sauce is a little hot, also sour and
sweet. I believe it has lime in it. (to kill the germs) I have never
gotten sick eating these small oysters in Trinidad although I eat them
with a sqirmish feeling every time. For your information Trinidad,
being a former British colony, has a very decent water supply system.