Seattle to LA to Orlando to Chicago to Seattle in 25 days -- toomuch?

Old December 22nd, 2003, 06:52 PM

Default Seattle to LA to Orlando to Chicago to Seattle in 25 days -- toomuch?

If we attempt this it would be in April. The total mileage would be
about 7500, or 300 a day. Of course, about 5 days would be taken up
with visiting relatives, and we'd want to do some sightseeing as well.
Any suggestions?

Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:02 PM
Mark Hewitt

wrote in message ...
If we attempt this it would be in April. The total mileage would be
about 7500, or 300 a day. Of course, about 5 days would be taken up
with visiting relatives, and we'd want to do some sightseeing as well.
Any suggestions?

By air? No problems at all

Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:42 AM
Keith Willshaw

wrote in message ...
If we attempt this it would be in April. The total mileage would be
about 7500, or 300 a day.

Of course, about 5 days would be taken up
with visiting relatives,

Which brings it up to 400 a day

and we'd want to do some sightseeing as well.
Any suggestions?

Yeah dont do it or if you must take a flight.

Keith

Old December 24th, 2003, 06:29 AM
Eric Holeman

In article , wrote:

If we attempt this it would be in April. The total mileage would be
about 7500, or 300 a day. Of course, about 5 days would be taken up
with visiting relatives, and we'd want to do some sightseeing as well.

Knocks 7 driving days out of your itinerary, leaving you with ~ 417 miles
per driving day. For 18 days. Not my idea of a fun time. YMMV.

Any suggestions?

Tell the Orlando relatives to meet you in Chicago or Memphis, or just
invite them to visit you in August. Get your Disney fix in California.
Knocking off the swing down to Fla. cuts your total mileage to about
5500--still a lot, but at least it's a lot less.

--
---
Eric Holeman Chicago Illinois USA
Old December 24th, 2003, 11:14 AM
Icono Clast

Stephen Dailey wrote:
Which brings it up to 400 a day

Entirely doable. I find that I average about 60 mph (including stops) on
interstates and 45 mph on two-lane roads.

I doubt it. To average sixty one must drive around 85. Most of the
time, the speed limit is 70 or slower.

Yeah dont do it or if you must take a flight.

I agree.

Don't worry about comments from the road-trip-phobic. Go for it.

I have no such phobia. I do have a great deal of experience. Planning
an average speed greater than 50 mph is a guarantee of being unable to
follow an itinerary UNLESS one does nothing but drive.

The tables in the following lined up when sent. If they don't as you
read them, I don't know why.

From: Icono Clast )
Subject: SouthWest: Howlongfar?
Newsgroups: rec.travel.usa-canada
Date: 2002-07-24 16:38:58 PST

So y'wanna know how far is it and how long it takes? This post reports
actual distances and times as recorded from my car's odo- and
chrono-meters as well as the routes taken on two recent trips. The
routes are important as, for example, it's almost exactly 440 miles
from City Hall to the DisneyLand Hotel _providing_ one takes a direct
route. I show 497.4 miles as we did not take a direct route. Other
information is at: http://makeashorterlink.com/?D23713851

What's the difference 'tween "Road" and "Actual" MPH? The "Actual"
speed is the time of starting the trip subtracted from the time of
ending the trip and dividing it into the distance travelled. The
"Road" MPH excludes time spent eating and sleeping and touring but
includes "rest" and fuel stops. "Road" miles are fewer than "Total"
miles for they exclude getting around, rather than just to,
destinations. For as long as I can remember, I've planned my trips by
estimating an average of 50 MPH. As you can see, on these two trips, I
actually did.

Road Road Actual Road
Miles Time MPH MPH
San Francisco-Anaheim 497.4 9.9 50.2
Rancho Santa Fé-Palm Springs 152.0 4.3 35.3
Palm Springs-Las Vegas 260.0 4.8 54.2
Las Vegas-San Francisco 588.5 10.6 55.5
51.5 61.6
Road Miles: 1,649.5 - Total Miles: 2,286.9

Road Road Road Clock Actual
Miles Hours MPH Hours MPH MPH
San Francisco-Phoenix 831.6 13.3 62.5 14.8 56.2
Tucson-Parker 337.4 6.1 55.3 7.0 48.2
Parker-San Francisco 654.6 10.1 64.8 13.5 48.5
Tucson-San Francisco 992.0 16.2 61.2 20.5 48.4
50.3
Road Miles: 2,020.1 - Total Miles: 2,115.5
Southern California's Four Seasons:
Earthquake, Mudslide, Brushfire, and Riot
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net