Acorn Leader on Obama

Old October 16th, 2008, 11:35 PM posted to rec.travel.misc
[email protected]

Default Acorn Leader on Obama

Obama wants to pretend he didn't have a close relationship with
Acorn. However, an article by Toni Foulkes, a Chicago Acorn leader
and a member of Acorn’s National Association Board, stated:

"Obama started building the base years before,” Foulkes wrote in her
2004 essay. “For instance, ACORN noticed him when he was organizing on
the far south side of the city with the Developing Communities
Project. He was a very good organizer. When he returned from law
school, we asked him to help us with a lawsuit to challenge the state
of Illinois’ refusal to abide by the National Voting Rights Act, also
known as motor voter. Allied only with the state of Mississippi,
Illinois had been refusing to allow mass-based voter registration
according to the new law. Obama took the case, known as ACORN vs.
Edgar (the name of the Republican governor at the time) and we won.
Obama then went on to run a voter registration project with Project
VOTE in 1992 that made it possible for Carol Moseley Braun to win the
Senate that year. Project VOTE delivered 50,000 newly registered
voters in that campaign (ACORN delivered about 5000 of them).”

Foulkes went on to note that “since then,” ACORN had “invited Obama to
our leadership training sessions to run the session on power every
year, and, as a result, many of our newly developing leaders got to
know him before he ever ran for office. Thus it was natural for many
of us to be active volunteers in his first campaign for State Senate
and then his failed bid for U.S. Congress in 1996. By the time he ran
for U.S. Senate, we were old friends."

(from ABC News Website). Obam's associations don't scare me; it is
his participation that scares me to death.