Mileage Plus Visa. . .

Old June 24th, 2007, 08:34 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Enzo Lombard-Quintero

Default Mileage Plus Visa. . .

I want to help my nephew establish credit and also earn miles. He has no
credit and can't get a card on his own. If I put the card in my name and
add him (jointly if they permit it) or as an additional card can I put the
miles into his account? Or does the account that gets the miles have to
have the same name as the primary?

Not sure if anyone would know but thought I'd ask.

thanks

Old June 24th, 2007, 02:38 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Binyamin Dissen

On Sun, 24 Jun 2007 07:34:21 GMT Enzo Lombard-Quintero wrote:

:I want to help my nephew establish credit and also earn miles. He has no
:credit and can't get a card on his own. If I put the card in my name and
:add him (jointly if they permit it) or as an additional card can I put the
:miles into his account? Or does the account that gets the miles have to
:have the same name as the primary?

:Not sure if anyone would know but thought I'd ask.

I can't answer that, but I have a question....

Is it worth the $60+ to get the miles (which I presume will not be that many)?

--
Binyamin Dissen
http://www.dissensoftware.com

Old June 24th, 2007, 07:24 PM posted to rec.travel.air
[email protected]

I can't answer that, but I have a question....
Is it worth the $60+ to get the miles (which I presume will not be that many)?

Most obvious answer is to call the mileage plus visa phone number and
ask them.

60 dollars annual fee is the hang up because if you do not earn enough
miles for a free flight within a reasonable enough time frame, the 60
dollar per year fee *could* add up to cost you more than you could buy
a ticket in the open market.

Old June 24th, 2007, 10:27 PM posted to rec.travel.air
Ivan Skivar

On Jun 24, 1:24 pm, wrote:
I can't answer that, but I have a question....

Is it worth the $60+ to get the miles (which I presume will not be that many)?

Most obvious answer is to call the mileage plus visa phone number and
ask them.

60 dollars annual fee is the hang up because if you do not earn enough
miles for a free flight within a reasonable enough time frame, the 60
dollar per year fee *could* add up to cost you more than you could buy
a ticket in the open market.

I have done it. No problem. It must be a joint visa account with both
of your financial details provided to show that there is the capacity
to cope with the credit card payments. But it can be in his name and
he will accrue miles. If he buys groceries and other items on it, it
will be well worth doing - providing he pays off the monthly balance.

Old June 26th, 2007, 01:01 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Larry

"Enzo Lombard-Quintero" wrote in message
I want to help my nephew establish credit and also earn miles. He has no
credit and can't get a card on his own. If I put the card in my name and
add him (jointly if they permit it) or as an additional card can I put the
miles into his account? Or does the account that gets the miles have to
have the same name as the primary?

Not sure if anyone would know but thought I'd ask.

thanks

Experian is putting an end to reporting of credit scores for authorized
individuals at years end. Too many "Credit Card Repair" schemes utilize
piggybacking of accounts of others to falsely inflate the credit scores of
credit challenged individuals. It will have its negative drawbacks on the
legitimate people who piggyback off a relative's card.

Old June 26th, 2007, 06:57 PM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Larry"
wrote:

Experian is putting an end to reporting of credit scores for authorized
individuals at years end. Too many "Credit Card Repair" schemes utilize
piggybacking of accounts of others to falsely inflate the credit scores of
credit challenged individuals. It will have its negative drawbacks on the
legitimate people who piggyback off a relative's card.

How about if the person with poor credit signs up for the account and
gets it cosigned? Or is that beyond the capabilities of modern credit
cards?

--
If quitters never win, and winners never quit,
what fool came up with, "Quit while you're ahead"?
Old June 27th, 2007, 02:08 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Frank F. Matthews

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "Larry"
wrote:

Experian is putting an end to reporting of credit scores for authorized
individuals at years end. Too many "Credit Card Repair" schemes utilize
piggybacking of accounts of others to falsely inflate the credit scores of
credit challenged individuals. It will have its negative drawbacks on the
legitimate people who piggyback off a relative's card.

How about if the person with poor credit signs up for the account and
gets it cosigned? Or is that beyond the capabilities of modern credit
cards?

It isn't. However, the cosigner is liable for all balances and has no
control over the maximum amount allowed.

Old July 8th, 2007, 02:16 AM posted to rec.travel.air
DevilsPGD

In message "Frank F.
Matthews" wrote:

DevilsPGD wrote:

In message "Larry"
wrote:

Experian is putting an end to reporting of credit scores for authorized
individuals at years end. Too many "Credit Card Repair" schemes utilize
piggybacking of accounts of others to falsely inflate the credit scores of
credit challenged individuals. It will have its negative drawbacks on the
legitimate people who piggyback off a relative's card.

How about if the person with poor credit signs up for the account and
gets it cosigned? Or is that beyond the capabilities of modern credit
cards?

It isn't. However, the cosigner is liable for all balances and has no
control over the maximum amount allowed.

Oh? When I was last looking into cosigning, I could put a "to a maximum
of 'x'" amount into the contract I signed, which would limit my
liability.

As it turned out it was less paperwork to simply borrow the cash myself
and lend it out, since the goal was to help someone out, not to build
their credit...