Greece travelogue

Old June 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

Default Greece travelogue

A detailed travelogue of our recent trip to Greece: Athens, Delphi,
Olympia, Peloponnese, Gialova, Mystras, Messene, Porto Heli, Mycene,
Nafplio
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Greece/2007/
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 21st, 2007, 02:23 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Henry Hooray

"Alfred Molon" wrote in message
A detailed travelogue of our recent trip to Greece: Athens, Delphi,
Olympia, Peloponnese, Gialova, Mystras, Messene, Porto Heli, Mycene,
Nafplio
http://www.molon.de/travelogues/Greece/2007/
--

Alfred Molon

Very nice site - thanks for that. I'm sorry that the weather wasn't better.

That you were planning to spend only one hour at Delphi really surprises me,
but at least you stayed quite a bit longer. For me, Olympia was even better
than Delphi, and I spent probably five times as long as the one hour you
took to peruse this enormously interesting site - and I even ran out of time
to visit the museum.

Much of your journey is similar to a trip I envisage taking with my wife
during the late spring (i.e. about he same time you went) one year, but we
would be travelling light, and will be using the trains and busses. When I
was in the area a few years ago I considered it so beautiful and interesting
that I didn't finish exploring the Peleponnese itself: I decided to wait and
do it with my wife later on.

You seem to be slightly critical of Greek food: but do bear in mind that
Greeks seem to thrive on it, and that we in Britain keep hearing about
Mediterranean diets to reduce the risk of heart attacks and so on.

I'm very surprised that you couldn't buy a GSM card for your mobile in
Athens, just because the shops were shut. In Crete (which I know better) you
can often pick these up at the remarkably well-stocked kiosks.

May I finally just add that the train journey from Tripoli to Argos is quite
incredible, at least for the first half of the journey! And of course, a
visit to a performance at Epidavros in the season really mustn't be missed.

Henry.

Old June 21st, 2007, 10:03 PM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Alfred Molon[_4_]

In article , yri6tus02
@sneakeLEAVETHISOUTmail.com says...
[...]

Thanks for the feedback. If you are interested to know, here is what I
would have done differently now that I know more of the country:

1. on the day of the drive from Athens to Olympia via Delphi, just drive
to Delphi, spend more time at the site and spend the night in Delphi.

2. The next day slowly drive to Olympia and spend the night there. Spend
some more time in Olympia.

3. Skip the Bassae temple, as there is nothing to see but the road to
get there is crazy.

4. Perhaps stay in Methoni instead of Gialova, because the beach is
bigger and more accessible.

5. Stay around Nafplio in a nice hotel instead of Porto Heli, which lies
too far away from everything.
--

Alfred Molon
Old June 22nd, 2007, 07:51 AM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
[email protected]

On 22 jun, 08:11, Alfred Molon wrote:
In article ,
says...

3. Skip the Bassae temple, as there is nothing to see but the road to
get there is crazy.

LOL. My then g/f and I stayed at a small hotel in Andritsena and
organised a taxi to take us to the Temple at Bassae in time to see the
sun rise. It is one of my most enduring images of Greece - truly a
magical place, in terms of the architecture and the location.

Maybe you better wait until Disney build a theme park in Greece before
returning.

It is completely contained in a huge plastic tent, with lots of
scaffolding inside. In fact almost nobody visits it.

I'm well aware of what it is and where it is. The temple was built at
a certain place in the landscape that has its own significance (see eg
http://omega.cohums.ohio-state.edu/m.../9303.227.html
for some comments). The surrounding hills are not covered in
scaffolding, I think? That nobody visits it is of no importance.

Greece is not at theme park with attractions accessible to the drop-in
vistor and refreshments available at every turn. Some homework is
required.

B;

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:02 AM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Marianne Kristiansen

skrev i melding Greece is not at theme park with
attractions accessible to the drop-in
vistor and refreshments available at every turn. Some homework is
required.

I understand what you are saying and I can also understand why the site was
a disappointment. I had the same feeling arriving at Anavatos in Chios for
the first time. The big community building on top was covered in plastic and
rope, scaffolding everywhere and restauration going on. Huge
disappointment! -Until I started to think about the dramatic history of the
place, take in the views, look at what I _could_ see of the village and the
plastic and the scaffolding wanished in a way. It is truly amazing to be in
such a place when you know the history of it, no matter how much you see or
not.

--
Marianne

Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:05 AM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to "Henry Hooray" :

You seem to be slightly critical of Greek food:

"...and complaining about the food - "It's so greasy isn't it?" ..."

things haven't changed much since 1972.
--
Tim C.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 08:08 AM posted to alt.travel.greece,rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to "Marianne Kristiansen" :

It is truly amazing to be in
such a place when you know the history of it, no matter how much you see or
not.

You go for the "culture", not the sights. There's more to that than a few
rocks piled on or next to each other, there's the history, the tragic and
trivial events that happened there. If you take the time, and look past the
tourist veneer, like you did, you can see it.
--
Tim C.
Old June 22nd, 2007, 10:20 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Tim C.

Following up to Martin :

and maybe even find the beach immediately in front of his hotel.

:-)

Before my first visit to Greece I bought amongst other guide books the Blue
Guide to Greece and read it. I also re-read Ulysses and The Iliad

I read Homer before my first island-hopping trip. It really helped with the
sense of awe and appreciation of the relics.
--
Tim C.