Trip to NYC

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:45 AM
Alvine

Default Trip to NYC

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to New York City in the next
month.
We would like to stay close to all the attractions, i.e. Central Park,
Broadway Plays, etc.
Can someone recommend a good hotel that's not too expensive?
Also, if you know of good restaurants in the vicinity, please let me
know.
Thanks in advance.
Alvine (in Manaus, Brazil)

Old February 10th, 2005, 06:36 AM
Pan

On Wed, 09 Feb 2005 23:45:57 -0500, "Alvine"
wrote:

Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to New York City in the next
month.

I hope you enjoy the trip!

We would like to stay close to all the attractions, i.e. Central Park,
Broadway Plays, etc.

We have a good subway and bus system, so it's not necessary to stay
close to "all the attractions." Furthermore, depending on what other
attractions you're interested in, it may well be impossible for you to
stay within easy walking distance of all of them.

Can someone recommend a good hotel that's not too expensive?

Yes, but it would help if you would give us a price range and some
other criteria.

Also, if you know of good restaurants in the vicinity, please let me
know.

[snip]

We don't know where you're staying yet, but there are loads and loads
of good restaurants in New York, at every price range.

Have a look at the New York Forum of forums.egullet.com, for example.

Michael

If you would like to send a private email to me, please take out the TRASH, so to speak. Please do not email me something which you also posted.
Old February 10th, 2005, 10:30 AM
Icono Clast

Alvine wrote:
We would like to stay close to all the attractions, i.e. Central Park,
Broadway Plays, etc.
Can someone recommend a good hotel that's not too expensive?

Yours is an oft-asked question with countless answers.

Go to "Advanced Group Search" and put "New York" as the subject in
this group and, perhaps, restrict the results to the past three
months. You'll get more than a hundred responses. If they don't give
you the information you need, many are happy to direct their comments
to your specifics.
A San Franciscan who's visited 49 of 50 US states
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 IClast at SFbay Net
Old February 10th, 2005, 03:19 PM

Alvine wrote:
Hi, my husband and I are planning a trip to New York City in the next
month.
We would like to stay close to all the attractions, i.e. Central

Park,
Broadway Plays, etc.
Can someone recommend a good hotel that's not too expensive?
Also, if you know of good restaurants in the vicinity, please let me
know.
Thanks in advance.
Alvine (in Manaus, Brazil)

Try Hotwire. I got the Hotel Lexington (Radisson) for $90/night.
(plustaxestitleandtagsomedealersmaynotofferallince ntives)
I've gotten good deals from Priceline before too, just make
sure you know what you're doing. There ain't no refunds.
It's midtown east side but that isn't too bad. As someone
else said, no place will be near all the attractions, but
anywhere between 30th and 60th probably isn't a bad location
for visitors, although some might like staying further south
down in the Soho area. Probably the only place a visitor really
wouldn't like staying is way downtown near Battery Park. But
hey, if ya get a good deal, the subway is cheap and you can
always walk.

There is a boat load of good food in NYC. Locals are spoiled
and often won't patronize places that us uncultured visitors
will enjoy. The 5 of the restaurants I frequent at home wouldn't
last a month in NYC. 11 Madison was good 2 years ago. Might
still be good today. Gourmet magazine usually does an annual
review of NY restaurants.

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:26 PM
TomCAt

Secaucus, NJ .... Go to Hotwire and look at Secaucus, NJ .... stay in a
four star hotel for $70 per night .. the bus to Mid Town NY,NY is $2.20
each way. Bus runs 24/7. It is a very short trip through the tunnel and
you are in the middle of NY City.

Why pay for parking, and all the other stuff like taxes, etc to stay in
Manhattan.

lkabouttravelling.com...

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:37 PM

TomCAt wrote:
Secaucus, NJ .... Go to Hotwire and look at Secaucus, NJ .... stay

in a
four star hotel for $70 per night .. the bus to Mid Town NY,NY is

$2.20
each way. Bus runs 24/7. It is a very short trip through the tunnel

and
you are in the middle of NY City.

Hmmmm. "Day tripping". 4 trips a day (2 each way minimum) Suppose
it takes 20 minutes each way including standing around and waiting.
That's almost an hour and a half each day. How much do you do
in NYC in an hour and a half? Now, the weather changes, you
forget something, you have a change in plans, another 2 trips.
'Course, you can just do out and back once. Yeah, that's fun.
12 -14 hours in the same cloths, shoes, etc. Oh, and let's
lug all our toursist stuff to the theater after walking all day.
Nah, think I might stay in town. $90 a night for the Radisson
shouldn't be too bad.

Why pay for parking, and all the other stuff like taxes, etc to stay

in
Manhattan.

'Cause I absolutely HATE communting. It's vacation. If ya
can't afford to go, don't go.

But, hey, YMMV

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:38 PM
Keith W

"TomCAt" wrote in message
Secaucus, NJ .... Go to Hotwire and look at Secaucus, NJ .... stay in a
four star hotel for $70 per night .. the bus to Mid Town NY,NY is $2.20
each way. Bus runs 24/7. It is a very short trip through the tunnel and
you are in the middle of NY City.

Try doing that at rush hour - it wont be a short journey then.

Why pay for parking, and all the other stuff like taxes, etc to stay in
Manhattan.

Because its dammed convenient to be able to pop back to
the hotel to unload shopping, rest up for half an hour,
take a shower and then go out for dinner.

I've down both and unless I was staying in Joisey
for a reason I'd pay the extra 40 bucks or so
and stay in Manhattan.

Keith

Old February 10th, 2005, 04:58 PM

"One good rule to follow is not to go into a restaurant that has only a
few customers. The best in any category or price range will always
have a lively crowd of eaters."

this is not true, depending on the time of day.....we went to a famous
cuban place up in just a couple blocks up from times square which would
be reservation required normally, but since it was 4 0clock and our
meeting got out early, we were the only one.....

Old February 10th, 2005, 05:02 PM

if you come from the north, along 95, park at the new rochelle train
station, easy from the highway cheap and safe parking for your car, and
you are let out at grand central in about a half hour....path train
from jersey or something from yonkers will provide similar
conveinance...

i dont see why someone would stay in NJ to visit NYC, its like going on
vacation to chicago but staying in Gary.....

Chuck