Connection at Frankfurt

Old April 12th, 2006, 07:25 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Default Connection at Frankfurt

Nick H. schrieb:

I will be arriving at FRA on DAL (hopefully) in May and connecting
immediately to a Tarom flt. to OTP. DAL is T2 and Tarom is T1. Assuming
carryon only what is the drill? Must I leave airside and reenter? Any
other interesting caveats?

Provided, luggage is checked-through, you won't need to worry about that.
You sure will have to pass through immigration at least once, i.e.,
arriving from the U.S. However, German immigration only checks your
passport and don't take fingerprints or the like. Then, take the sky train
to Terminal 1.

The first carriage of the automatic train is 'airside'.

Regards & X-post, ULF
Old April 12th, 2006, 09:51 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Wed, 12 Apr 2006 20:25:35 +0200, Ulf Kutzner
wrote:

Nick H. schrieb:

I will be arriving at FRA on DAL (hopefully) in May and connecting
immediately to a Tarom flt. to OTP. DAL is T2 and Tarom is T1. Assuming
carryon only what is the drill? Must I leave airside and reenter? Any
other interesting caveats?

Provided, luggage is checked-through, you won't need to worry about that.
You sure will have to pass through immigration at least once, i.e.,
arriving from the U.S. However, German immigration only checks your
passport and don't take fingerprints or the like. Then, take the sky train
to Terminal 1.

The first carriage of the automatic train is 'airside'.

Regards & X-post, ULF

We have to change planes in Frankfort, going from Amsterdam to New
York. Can we walk outside for the two hour wait?

Cathy
Old April 13th, 2006, 12:12 AM posted to rec.travel.europe

wrote:

Nick H. schrieb:

I will be arriving at FRA on DAL (hopefully) in May and connecting
immediately to a Tarom flt. to OTP. DAL is T2 and Tarom is T1.
Assuming
carryon only what is the drill? Must I leave airside and reenter? Any
other interesting caveats?

Provided, luggage is checked-through, you won't need to worry about
that.
You sure will have to pass through immigration at least once, i.e.,
arriving from the U.S. However, German immigration only checks your
passport and don't take fingerprints or the like. Then, take the sky
train
to Terminal 1.

The first carriage of the automatic train is 'airside'.

Regards & X-post, ULF

We have to change planes in Frankfort, going from Amsterdam to New
York. Can we walk outside for the two hour wait?

In theory yes, but in practice it won't really be worth it. You wouldn't
have time to leave the Airport and, although I don't know Frankfurt at all,
I doubt if it is any more interesting landside than Amsterdam or JFK. Your
bags, and you, will be through-checked to JFK and you will need to be at the
departure gate at Frankfurt 45 minutes before departure. If you go landside
upon arrival from AMS you will have to go through Security on your return
airside and that can take quite some time. When you arrive at Frankfurt,
find your departure terminal/gate immediately and then find a Bar where you
can relax with a cup of coffee and buy Bill a few Becks.

And, after you have been on your trip with Cosmos and have recovered from
the resulting jetlag, I certainly look forward to a comprehensive trip
report from you here on rte.

JohnT

Old April 13th, 2006, 11:53 AM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

I'll be flying United to Frankfurt.

From there, I want to take a bus or train to Budapest. Suggestions?

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Additional content not mine.]

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 03:53:49 -0700, Icono Clast
wrote:

I'll be flying United to Frankfurt.

From there, I want to take a bus or train to Budapest. Suggestions?

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Additional content not mine.]

Icono,

Our flight from JFK to London originates in San Francisco.

Do you know if you will have a TV of your own? Also, a choice of
movies to watch?

Cathy
Old April 13th, 2006, 01:36 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

"Cathy L" wrote in message

Do people on here REALLY want to hear about our trip when we get
back??

You have been one of the really nice people, that have help us. It
seems like most would be happy I never respond again.

I think that you have given a lot of amusement to some denizens of this ng
(and I say that in the nicest possible way) with the detailed level of some
of your questions. Your trip through Europe is going to be a marathon, but I
think that you are well aware that you are going to be really tired at the
end of it. For myself, yes I would be very interested in reading a report of
your trip. You could do it in several instalments if you wished.

It does seem to me, however, that you want to plan every aspect of your
holiday in advance, even down to knowing what films/movies will be showing
inflight and how to organise in fine detail a comprehensive tour of the
Netherlands in one day. The reality is often different from the expectation.
and, as I am sure you are aware, Europe is not just like the USA except for
people speaking funny. Try to learn a few words in each language (please,
thank you etc) and try to smile whilst addressing the people who speak funny
languages. And do set your horizons for dining a little higher than
imitations of US fast food places.

And, regardless of my misgivings about the amount of time you are going to
spend in a coach, and the whirlwind nature of the trip, have a great time.

JohnT

Old April 13th, 2006, 01:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

news
wrote:

I'll be flying United to Frankfurt.

From there, I want to take a bus or train to Budapest. Suggestions?

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
One of (as of 2003) 751,682 residents of San Francisco.
http://geocities.com/dancefest/ --- http://geocities.com/iconoc/
ICQ: http://wwp.mirabilis.com/19098103 ------- IClast at Gmail com

[Additional content not mine.]

Icono,

Our flight from JFK to London originates in San Francisco.

Do you know if you will have a TV of your own? Also, a choice of
movies to watch?

Cathy

It is actually on two different aircraft, but with the same flight number,
arriving at a different terminal at Kennedy from that whence it departs.
United Airlines do this all the time, probably just to confuse us
travellers.

I show the routing below.

JohnT

San Francisco (SFO)
Depart 08:00
Terminal 3 to New York (JFK)
Arrive 16:28
Terminal 7 Duration: 5hr 28min

Flight: 956

Dinner, Boeing 757

New York (JFK)
Depart 18:18
Terminal 7 to London (LHR)
Arrive 06:25 +1 day
Terminal 3 Duration: 7hr 7min
Flight: 956

Dinner, Boeing 777

Old April 13th, 2006, 02:04 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:36:31 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

"Cathy L" wrote in message
.. .

[...]

John,

Thank you for the kind words.

I think we are well aware of the shot comings of a trip like this. We
have read about not driving in any major cities in Europe. Then, we
thought of getting a train "pass". People said we would spend a large
amount of time sitting in train stations.

Our expectations are having our picture taken in front of major
statues and buildings. Hopefully, in years to come, we can return to
the places we liked the best.

Cathy
Old April 13th, 2006, 02:45 PM posted to rec.travel.europe

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 13:55:20 +0100, "JohnT"
wrote:

news
wrote:

I'll be flying United to Frankfurt.

From there, I want to take a bus or train to Budapest. Suggestions?

-- __________________________________________________ ______________
[...]

I didn't know that. We did have a bit of trouble figuring out our
return flights. United had their flight numbers even though we were
flying Lufthansa.

Cathy
Old April 13th, 2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.travel.air,rec.travel.europe

Icono Clast schrieb:

I'll be flying United to Frankfurt.

From there, I want to take a bus or train to Budapest. Suggestions?

Bus won't be comfortable. Did you try prices for rt or open jaw air
tickets U.S. to Budapest?

You may try cheap overnight rail tickets FRA - Vienna on
https://ticket.oebb.at/bin/sparnight.pl

Regards, ULF