Grand Canyon tours for elderly

Old September 28th, 2009, 06:22 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
wbm1

Default Grand Canyon tours for elderly

Hi, I am taking my 80 year old grand parents to tour the Grand Canyon
departing from Vegas in 3 weeks. Its one of the places they've always
wanted to see. They specifically only want a ground tour, and even tough
they have good mobility for their age, I don't want them to do a lot of
walking.

We have one day for a tour, and there seem to be so many tours, so I would
appreciate suggestions based on experience of which tour would be most
comfortable for 2 elderly people to enjoy.

Thanks in advance, Will
Old September 28th, 2009, 10:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Hi, I am taking my 80 year old grand parents to tour the Grand Canyon
departing from Vegas in 3 weeks

First of all, it's great that you're taking your grandparents there.
It'll be a wonderful experience for all of you.

I sometimes vacation with my mother, who's in her 80s, so I'm well
aware of the challenges. She can get around just fine, but she tires
quickly, especially when there are steps or hills.

As for specific tour companies, one good one is Grayline. They have an
excellent reputation, and I've taken their bus tours in many cities
and have always been pleased. Well-maintained buses, friendly,
knowledgable tour guides, etc. This page shows their tours from Las
Vegas...

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/des...us/lasvegas.go

They have tours to both the West Rim and the South Rim. The West Rim
is closer, and thus is the choice of many people making day trips from
Vegas, but the South Rim is actually the main tourist area and is
generally considered better. (The North Rim is also nice, but a longer
drive.)

If time permitted I'd recommend going to the South Rim, but
considering their age perhaps the West Rim would be better since it's
a quicker drive. Hard to say without knowing how much stamina they
have for long bus rides.

I haven't been to the West Rim so I can't make specific suggestions
about it. But at the South Rim they won't have any problems getting
around as there's a paved sidewalk by the canyon's edge, and large
areas of the South Rim are wheelchair accessible so walking isn't a
problem. Of course they won't want to walk on the trail that goes down
into the Canyon itself as it is steep, and I believe some of the
overlooks have steps, but generally speaking they should be able to
get some fine views without too much trouble.

**Note that the Canyon is at a higher altitude than Vegas, so the
weather will be cooler than Vegas and they'll get out of breath a
little more quickly.**

Ideally it would be better to make it an overnight trip. Rent a car,
make the 6 hour (or so) drive and spend the night near the Canyon,
then sightsee the next day and drive back in the evening. It would
give you more time and be a lot more relaxing for your grandparents.
But if you must do it in one day, a one-day bus tour should be fine as
long as their health is good enough for a very long day of travel. And
of course you've got the advantage that the bus company takes care of
everything and you can just sit back and relax.

Have fun,

James
Old September 28th, 2009, 11:10 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
JamesStep

Just noticed that Grayline says regarding the West Rim...

we recommend that those requiring
wheelchair assistance consider the South Rim
Tour option [instead of West Rim]

I know your parents aren't in wheelchairs, but wheelchair
accessibility usually indicates easier walking too, as there are no
steps or steep inclines.

James