Virginia foliage ??

Old September 18th, 2009, 05:37 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

Default Virginia foliage ??

On Thu, 17 Sep 2009 18:39:45 -0400, "- Bobb -" wrote:

Time out ! I DO take 95 thru Richmond , and while on 95 what I 've seen was
nice once below 'the city areas' . I'll note gps info this year ( ;-
I usually head to the islands of NC on the way down. SO am I mistaken ? the
ride between Richmond and say Rocky Mount isn't nice ? I remember thinking -
this part of VA is still unspoiled - unlike the ride from New England to
Richmond. On the way back ( from FLA usually) I take 75 / 77 to 81 then 95.
It's much longer but much nicer/scenic drive.

Have you done route 13 down the SelMarVa peninsula to Norfolk/Va. Beach yet?

We drove down the coast, no Interstates, all the way to Florida last year. Some
towns, like Wilmington NC, were very pleasant surprises. The only dud was Myrtle
Beach, but we expected that.

And if you come up Route 95 through NC, I hope you stop at Triangle Waffle in
Dunn. 8

-- Larry
Old September 19th, 2009, 05:27 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"pltrgyst" wrote in message
[...]

Yes, but since I usually go during late fall/winter not much happening in
Norfolk and beaches empty.

I have driven (usually ) down the coast thru Chesapeake bay bridge/outer
banks/Myrtle Beach/ Charleston/Jekyll Island/ Savannah rt 1 to Keys.
Next year did that again,. then at Jacksonville took I-10W to Pensacola and
down along FL coastline to Tampa, WDW then Naples - over to Miami Beach and
up the coast - Ocracoke NC ferry .

" I hope you stop at Triangle Waffle in Dunn."

Do you work there ?

Old October 2nd, 2009, 11:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"- Bobb -" wrote in message

"JamesStep" wrote in message
when should I plan on driving thru Virginia

Bobb, there are web sites that predict the optimum times for fall
foliage. A Google search for "Virginia Fall Foliage" should turn up
several.

Also, at the official Virginia tourism site they have a Fall Color
Hotline: 1-800-424-LOVE ("Love" because their slogan is "Virginia is
for lovers")

James

I DID that and - for others - this one is what I needed
http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fall/index.shtml
I can tweak it/ check it as time gets near, but now I know what to tell
folks when they ask " when are you gonna be here".

Update to outdated link above:
New one:
http://climate.virginia.edu/foliage.htm
Another week or two.

Old October 5th, 2009, 04:04 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

"JamesStep" wrote in message
when should I plan on driving thru Virginia

Bobb, there are web sites that predict the optimum times for fall
foliage. A Google search for "Virginia Fall Foliage" should turn up
several.

Also, at the official Virginia tourism site they have a Fall Color
Hotline: 1-800-424-LOVE ("Love" because their slogan is "Virginia is
for lovers")

James

Email today from person at VA tourism board:
"... They are doing an e-mail update every week on the fall foliage. The
section to sign-up for the report is about half-way down the page
http://www.virginia.org/fall/home.asp. I believe that they are expecting
the leaves to peak around Oct. 15 in the Shenandoah Valley and continue with
nice color through the end of the month. "

Old October 8th, 2009, 02:53 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
- Bobb -[_2_]

Reply today from person at VA tourism board:

The Department of Forestry has updated their map. You can view it from your
link below.

http://www.dof.virginia.gov/fall/index.htm

The type is very small on the map however. The western part of the state is
looking at Oct. 20-Nov.3 as peak season, the Shenandoah Valley and Central
regions from Oct. 27-Nov. 10 and the eastern part of the state from Nov.
1-15.

Old October 9th, 2009, 02:51 PM
europe_lovers europe_lovers is offline
Member

Virginia has so many things that you and your family can enjoy, from
the beautiful mountains and sparkling rivers and lakes to white water
rafting down the new river gorge as well as there numerous state parks.
Most of the roads are gravel two lane roads so slowing down and enjoying
the scenery is just automatic.

__________________
__________________
rack and pinion

Last edited by europe_lovers : May 3rd, 2011 at 07:57 AM.
Old October 11th, 2009, 05:12 AM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
pltrgyst[_2_]

On Fri, 9 Oct 2009 14:51:48 +0100, europe_lovers
wrote:

Virginia has so many things that you and your family can enjoy, from
the beautiful mountains and sparkling rivers and lakes to white water
rafting down the new river gorge as well as there numerous state
parks.
Most of the roads are gravel two lane roads so slowing down and
enjoying the scenery is just automatic.

This may come as a shock, but we actually starting paving some roads recently.

-- Larry
Old October 11th, 2009, 01:20 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Marsha[_2_]

wrote:

Virginia has so many things that you and your family can enjoy, from
the beautiful mountains and sparkling rivers and lakes to white water
rafting down the new river gorge as well as there numerous state
parks.
Most of the roads are gravel two lane roads so slowing down and
enjoying the scenery is just automatic.

This may come as a shock, but we actually starting paving some roads recently.

-- Larry

Imagine that....

Marsha