New England ideas

Old February 8th, 2010, 03:40 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

Default New England ideas

On 08 Feb 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, blackbat wrote:

Actually Montreal sounds great.

If you're going to have a car (I was working on the assumption that you
wanted transit, but maybe I'm wrong?), the Lake George/Lake Placid area
in New York might be interesting. You're within about a 5-hour circle of
New York, Montréal and Boston. Within about an hour is Manchester
Center, Vermont, which has outlet shopping and several art galleries. In
two hours or so are baseball and basketball halls of fame, a number of
art galleries if you like such, historic sites for several US presidents.

Both area have, as you might guess, lakes and water recreation; you
should be able to find self-catering in both areas.

http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/
http://www.lakeplacid.com/

--
Joe Makowiec
http://makowiec.org/
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 14:40:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:

If you're going to have a car (I was working on the assumption that you
wanted transit, but maybe I'm wrong?), the Lake George/Lake Placid area
in New York might be interesting. You're within about a 5-hour circle of
New York, Montréal and Boston. Within about an hour is Manchester
Center, Vermont, which has outlet shopping and several art galleries. In
two hours or so are baseball and basketball halls of fame, a number of
art galleries if you like such, historic sites for several US presidents.

Both area have, as you might guess, lakes and water recreation; you
should be able to find self-catering in both areas.

http://www.visitlakegeorge.com/
http://www.lakeplacid.com/

Thanks for your replies, you've been most helpful.

The thought of visiting Montreal, NY and Boston in the same holiday is
very tempting. Trouble is, what seems feasible when sitting at home
planning a vacation seems more complicated when actually there.
Sometimes I'm guilty of trying to do too much in one holiday and as a
result the holiday seems somewhat hectic.

Lake George with a day trip to NY and Montreal seems favourite at this
stage though.

Or just Burlington and Montreal.

I will indeed have a car but I'm not sure I like the idea of driving
for hours on end and trying to find somewhere to park in a large city.
I guess we would need overnight stays in the cities, wouldn't want to
drive for an 11 hours round trip in one day, for example.
That would increase the cost by a significant margin though.
Shame about Amtrak...when travelling in England / France / Spain /
Italy etc it would nearly always be quicker to take a train.

BTW - any issues crossing the border en-route to Montreal?
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old February 8th, 2010, 07:38 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 08 Feb 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, blackbat wrote:

Thanks for your replies, you've been most helpful.

The thought of visiting Montreal, NY and Boston in the same holiday
is very tempting. Trouble is, what seems feasible when sitting at
home planning a vacation seems more complicated when actually there.
Sometimes I'm guilty of trying to do too much in one holiday and as
a result the holiday seems somewhat hectic.

Lake George with a day trip to NY and Montreal seems favourite at
this stage though.

Consider Lake Placid, too. That was the site of the 1932 and 1980
Winter Olympics, and you can still see many of the venues and even get
a ride on the bobsled track.

Or just Burlington and Montreal.

I will indeed have a car but I'm not sure I like the idea of driving
for hours on end and trying to find somewhere to park in a large
city. I guess we would need overnight stays in the cities, wouldn't
want to drive for an 11 hours round trip in one day, for example.
That would increase the cost by a significant margin though.

What I've found with both Montréal and New York is that there is an
advantage to parking nearby and taking local transit into the city.
For Montréal, you might look in the Longueuil area; for New York,
Yonkers, northern New Jersey or even the outer boroughs (Bronx, Queens,
Brooklyn) are worth checking.

Shame about Amtrak...when travelling in England / France / Spain /
Italy etc it would nearly always be quicker to take a train.

Agreed. Unfortunately, running rail service in the modern era requires
government subsidies, and our government isn't inclined to do so.

BTW - any issues crossing the border en-route to Montreal?

There shouldn't be, particularly for a family group. Going into
Canada, Canada Customs are generally OK, although of late they ask
where you have overnight accomodations. Coming back, US Customs is
generally OK, too. You should know that the crossing at Champlain is
on the main route between Montréal and New York, and so is a major
smuggling point for drugs and illegal immigrants. Make sure that
everything is in order.

Old February 8th, 2010, 09:50 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 18:38:58 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:

Consider Lake Placid, too. That was the site of the 1932 and 1980
Winter Olympics, and you can still see many of the venues and even get
a ride on the bobsled track.

Sounds good, although don't like the look of this guy...
http://peachyforum.com/forums/storag...lacid_ver2.jpg

Are there any particular areas of the two lakes that you'd recommend?

Or just Burlington and Montreal.

I will indeed have a car but I'm not sure I like the idea of driving
for hours on end and trying to find somewhere to park in a large
city. I guess we would need overnight stays in the cities, wouldn't
want to drive for an 11 hours round trip in one day, for example.
That would increase the cost by a significant margin though.

What I've found with both Montréal and New York is that there is an
advantage to parking nearby and taking local transit into the city.
For Montréal, you might look in the Longueuil area; for New York,
Yonkers, northern New Jersey or even the outer boroughs (Bronx, Queens,
Brooklyn) are worth checking.

I agree. Seems a good idea.

Shame about Amtrak...when travelling in England / France / Spain /
Italy etc it would nearly always be quicker to take a train.

Agreed. Unfortunately, running rail service in the modern era requires
government subsidies, and our government isn't inclined to do so.

BTW - any issues crossing the border en-route to Montreal?

There shouldn't be, particularly for a family group. Going into
Canada, Canada Customs are generally OK, although of late they ask
where you have overnight accomodations. Coming back, US Customs is
generally OK, too. You should know that the crossing at Champlain is
on the main route between Montréal and New York, and so is a major
smuggling point for drugs and illegal immigrants. Make sure that
everything is in order.

So what's involved - is it a drive through or park the car and visit a
Customs building...?
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old February 8th, 2010, 11:15 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 08 Feb 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, blackbat wrote:

Are there any particular areas of the two lakes that you'd recommend?

This comes back to what you're interested in. Both areas are 'tourist'
areas, so have their share of souvenir shops, etc. You'll find theater,
concerts and the like in both.

Lake George has an amusement park (http://www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/);
Fort Ticonderoga (http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/) is a US Revolutionary
War fort not far away. If you're there in August and like horse racing,
Lake George is not far from Saratoga Springs, which has a thoroughbred
meet in August (http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/). Also in August at
Saratoga, the Philadelphia Orchestra has a summer residency at Saratoga
Performing Arts Center (known as SPAC) (http://www.spac.org/)

Placid has the Olympic venues. There's a natural history museum nearby
(http://www.wildcenter.org/).

If you like the historic stuff, this year is the 250th anniversary
commemoration of the 'French and Indian War' (the North American fallout
of the Seven Years War between the United Kingdom and France, and there
will be reenactments in the area. http://www.fiw250.org/

So what's involved - is it a drive through or park the car and visit
a Customs building...?

99% of the time it's drive through. Very occasionally, you'll be asked
to pull over and have your vehicle checked.

Old February 8th, 2010, 11:42 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
blackbat

On Mon, 8 Feb 2010 22:15:12 +0000 (UTC), Joe Makowiec
wrote:

This comes back to what you're interested in. Both areas are 'tourist'
areas, so have their share of souvenir shops, etc. You'll find theater,
concerts and the like in both.

Lake George has an amusement park (http://www.sixflags.com/greatEscape/);

That's the kids sorted then...

Fort Ticonderoga (http://www.fort-ticonderoga.org/) is a US Revolutionary
War fort not far away. If you're there in August and like horse racing,
Lake George is not far from Saratoga Springs, which has a thoroughbred
meet in August (http://www.saratogaracetrack.com/).

Also in August at
Saratoga, the Philadelphia Orchestra has a summer residency at Saratoga
Performing Arts Center (known as SPAC) (http://www.spac.org/)

That's the adults sorted then..

Placid has the Olympic venues. There's a natural history museum nearby
(http://www.wildcenter.org/).

The kids would like that too

If you like the historic stuff, this year is the 250th anniversary
commemoration of the 'French and Indian War' (the North American fallout
of the Seven Years War between the United Kingdom and France, and there
will be reenactments in the area. http://www.fiw250.org/

So what's involved - is it a drive through or park the car and visit
a Customs building...?

99% of the time it's drive through. Very occasionally, you'll be asked
to pull over and have your vehicle checked.

that's a relief...thanks again for all your in-depth replies, you've
been most helpful
--

blackbat /\x/\
Old February 9th, 2010, 02:08 PM posted to rec.travel.usa-canada
Joe Makowiec

On 08 Feb 2010 in rec.travel.usa-canada, blackbat wrote:

that's a relief...thanks again for all your in-depth replies, you've
been most helpful

Glad I could help.