Taking a sabatical - the trip of a lifetime

Old April 16th, 2006, 11:07 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Default Taking a sabatical - the trip of a lifetime

For whatever reason, there are more and more people digging their heels
in, throwing the towel in and taking a year off to travel. So, I've
compiled a few stops one must make to be able to return home and
proudly say "I did it"

Read my suggestions and tell me what you think or suggest other "must
dos" for anybody thinking of making the trip of their life.

http://www.the-c-channel.com/en/travel/article_2.html

I look forward to hearing from all travellers.
Thank you
http://www.the-c-channel.com

Old April 17th, 2006, 12:24 AM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

On 16 Apr 2006 15:07:17 -0700,
wrote:

For whatever reason, there are more and more people digging their heels
in, throwing the towel in and taking a year off to travel. So, I've
compiled a few stops one must make to be able to return home and
proudly say "I did it"

Read my suggestions and tell me what you think or suggest other "must
dos" for anybody thinking of making the trip of their life.

http://www.the-c-channel.com/en/travel/article_2.html

I look forward to hearing from all travellers.
Thank you
http://www.the-c-channel.com

At first glance, your site is geared to the young and fit.
If that's your target market, fine. But, you did mention 18
to 80.

Included in "The things you must do to achieve the trip of
your lifetime" are a lot of things which some of us who have
entered our second fifty years would not consider. At
least, for me, the following are not on the list:

The Awesome Foursome in Queenstown, NZ

Trek the Annapurna Range in Nepal

Bungee jumping in South Africa

Climb Sydney Harbour Bridge

I get tired just watching those climbers from a Circular
Quay cafe.

I did my trip of a lifetime three years ago; but it was more
"seeing" and "experiencing" than "doing". And it was full of
the trite tourist things. They may seem tired, and obvious,
but for those from the far side of the world like me who had
never seen them or been there, they were must-sees and
must-dos.

Included then were the old favourites. These were all on my
list. Not much bungee-jumping, or trekking, or white water
rafting, just these, in no particular order of importance,
just order of viewing and being there. For some, it's a
matter of sitting quietly and musing on the people who
walked, talked or were killed on that spot hundreds or
thousands of years ago. Spots like Gettysburg or Mycenae.

Hollywood
Long Beach
Santa Monica
Big Sur
Boulder Dam
Las Vegas
Grand Canyon
Bourbon Street
The Mississippi
The South
Blue Ridge Parkway
Civil War Battlefields
DC
NYC, Empire State, Broadway
Virgin islands
Madrid, the Prada, the city.
Alhambra
Riviera, hilltop villages, coastal affluence
Pisa
Florence
Colosseum, Forum
Driving through Naples and the Amalfi Coast, and surviving.
Pompeii
Corinth
Mycenae
Epidaurus
Acropolis
Venice
Aquileia
Tyrol
Vienna
Charles Bridge
Karlstein
Neuschwanstein
Rheinfalls
Jungfrau
Burgundy
Les Vosges
The Rhine
Amsterdam
Heidelberg
Eiffel Tower
Versailles
Dublin
Limerick, King John's Castle
Edinburgh Castle
Loch Lomond
Hadrian's wall
Lakes District
Yorkminster
Shrewsbury Cathedral
Raglan
Bath
Stonehenge
Oxford
The Tower
British Museum
Singapore, eating chili crab

Each of us would design different "lifetime" trips, that
just happened to be how I designed mine. The nice thing was
that all those frequent flyer miles have since let me add
Fiji and North Island NZ.

Of course, we only saw the surface, and missed a lot. So
we're going back again next month. I envy my son who
back-packed the USA, Europe and Asia, so I'm trying to catch
up - but we're staying at hotels, not hostels.

Each of us would design different "lifetime" trips, that
just happened to be how I designed mine.

Cheers, Alan, Australia
Old April 18th, 2006, 11:41 PM posted to rec.travel.australia+nz

Alan, thank you for your post and list of destinations.
I'm certainly going to be looking into doing something of a profile
with them for my travel site.

As for the article mentioning the 18 to 80 age-range.
Mr Bush Senior, i think already in his 80s does parachuting quite
often.
Some will go for it, some will prefer a quieter escape/adventure.

I personally cant jump off a trampolin... and I envy those who can.
But I have to accept that many people in a wide age-range will charge
down a white-water rapid in a little floaty!

I really am thankful for your comments.
They help me come up with new ideas for new articles, in waht is my new
travel site.

If you have other comments, i would very much like to hear them,
especially since you are exactly the type of person I want to hear from
- a traveller.

Thanks again
Cristina, Portugal