Outback farmstay?

Old October 30th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Adrian

Default Outback farmstay?

I'm visiting Australia in a few weeks and am looking for a farmstay.
We would like to fly from Melbourne to Broken Hill and stay at a
working farm for a couple of nights before getting the Indian Pacific
to Sydney.

We're struggling to find a farm in the broken hill region. Any ideas
appreciated.

Thanks,
Adrian
Old October 30th, 2004, 05:11 PM
Big Jim

Hello Adrian

The "farms" are easy to find. Just look on a map. Those large areas of more
than 100,000 acres with names but no town are property names for the "farms"
however we call them "stations".

Regards: Jim Sibbick

om...

Old October 30th, 2004, 11:09 PM
Richard

Jim,

You're saying anyone can just drive up to any ol' gate in the Outback
and say 'g'day' and you'll have a seat at the table and a warm bed??

I know the Aussies are friendly, but isn't this stretching things just a
tad :-)

I think there are organised 'farmstays' that Adrian might be inquiring
about.

Richard

"Big Jim" wrote in
:

Hello Adrian

The "farms" are easy to find. Just look on a map. Those large areas of
more than 100,000 acres with names but no town are property names for
the "farms" however we call them "stations".

Regards: Jim Sibbick

om...

Old October 30th, 2004, 11:35 PM
Peter

In article , Richard says...
Jim,

You're saying anyone can just drive up to any ol' gate in the Outback
and say 'g'day' and you'll have a seat at the table and a warm bed??

Except the Aboriginal reserves. Gotta tee it up beforehand.

I know the Aussies are friendly, but isn't this stretching things just a
tad :-)

I dunno. Bring a slab and a side of lamb and not too many will send you
on your way.

I think there are organised 'farmstays' that Adrian might be inquiring
about.

A few of those around. Make Google your friend.
Old October 31st, 2004, 12:43 AM
Julie

There is a farm stay/station stay at Eldee Station
If you look
www.visitbroken.hill.com.au and enquire on Eldee Station
and the dates that you require.

I put in some fictional dates and this is what I got.

http://www.visitbrokenhill.com.au/ac...asp?code=10022

Julie
Melbourne

om...

Old October 31st, 2004, 01:13 AM
Alan

On Sun, 31 Oct 2004 03:11:00 +1100, "Big Jim"
wrote:

Hello Adrian

The "farms" are easy to find. Just look on a map. Those large areas of more
than 100,000 acres with names but no town are property names for the "farms"
however we call them "stations".

Regards: Jim Sibbick

Jim's right Adrian. They're large, with the main buildings often many
miles off the main road. I remember rarely seeing a building of any sort
on the stretch from Wentworth to Broken Hill to Wilcannia until you were
close to the towns.

I tried a few searches in yellow pages using "Broken Hill" and
"tourism". You might find it useful to contact some agencies direct.

http://www.yellowpages.com.au/

Cheers, Alan
Old October 31st, 2004, 01:22 AM
Richard

Peter wrote in
T:

In article , Richard says...
Jim,

You're saying anyone can just drive up to any ol' gate in the Outback
and say 'g'day' and you'll have a seat at the table and a warm bed??

Except the Aboriginal reserves. Gotta tee it up beforehand.

Didn't know the natives were that much into golf.

I know the Aussies are friendly, but isn't this stretching things
just a tad :-)

I dunno. Bring a slab and a side of lamb and not too many will send
you on your way.

What to the locals drink in the NSW outback, I've a feeling a Carlton
Coldie might not be that appreciated (or VB?).

I think there are organised 'farmstays' that Adrian might be
inquiring about.

A few of those around. Make Google your friend.

Google's been my friend for a few years now, but I still can't find an
answer to getting from Broken Hill to Bourke. Any coaches go that way?

Richard