Top 10 Caribbean island destinations

Old October 12th, 2007, 03:00 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Peri

Default Top 10 Caribbean island destinations

Tom K wrote:

I've been going to Puerto Rico for many years on Business. Puerto Ricans
tend to applaud whenever the plane lands... whether it be Newark or
locally... more of a "thank you" for getting the plane down, and out of the
sky, type of applause.

I've had this happen numerous times when landing in Florida, as well. I
don't generally join along, but it does make me smile. I agree with
you, Tom, it seems to be an expression of gratitude more than anything else.

~ Peri
Old October 12th, 2007, 03:49 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
LeeNY

On Oct 12, 9:32 am, "Tom K" wrote:
"Jr." wrote in message

m...

"mdm" wrote in message
roups.com...
On Oct 11, 5:06 pm, wrote:
See the most popular Caribbean island destinations

http://tropical-destinations.blogspot.com/

I don't agree with this list at all - there is no way Puerto Rico and
Bahamas rank at the very top. Also, there is absolutely no way St.
Lucia and St. Kitts aren't on the list and don't rank at the top!
This list is just composed of top TOURIST destinations, not the really
beautiful islands (except for Barbados and Jamaica - they're
breathtaking).

Puerto Rico and Bahamas rank at the top because they are the two places
the "Caribbean tourists" either go to or stay at.
There are so many "cruises" to the Bahamas that dump you off in Nassau for
3 days that it seems those people love it because they have never been
anywhere else.
To rank Puerto Rico number one is just wrong. The people are obnoxious and
there is not a lot to see. We stayed there over night waiting for a cruise
and it was terrible.
I was mad because on our direct flight from Midway to San Juan the people
actually cheered and applauded when we landed on the runway in San Juan.
Sounds racist but if they love Puerto Rico that much they should stay
there.
I could just see the reaction if we had cheered and applauded when we
arrived back in Chicago.

I've been going to Puerto Rico for many years on Business. Puerto Ricans
tend to applaud whenever the plane lands... whether it be Newark or
locally... more of a "thank you" for getting the plane down, and out of the
sky, type of applause.

I know I've been on flights where I've wanted to cheer and applaud the
pilot upon landing. I agree with you, Tom. Sounds like the reaction
was more for a job well done than anything else.

As far as not a lot to see there... to each his own. I rather like Puerto
Rico.

I've only been twice - once at the start of the cruise, and once on a
port day. I was impressed, and would like to spend a week there at
some point. Seems like there's a lot to do...deciding in which area to
stay will be the challenge.

Lee

--Tom

Old October 12th, 2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,uk.railway,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
[email protected]

On Oct 12, 9:16 am, "Jr." wrote:
"mdm" wrote in message

[...]

Unfortunately, Puerto Rickies seem to think that applause at a jet
landing is good and they've been doing it regularly for at least a
decade.

Yes, the PRs are obnoxious and the island is nothing to glom on. Even
the food sucks.

The problem is that to get to a real destination (Dominica,
Montserrat, St. Maarten) is that you have to stop at San Juan which is
an armpit equal only to Tijuana. Such is life.

Old October 12th, 2007, 09:10 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Uncle Peter

"Tom K" wrote in message

As far as not a lot to see there... to each his own. I rather like

Puerto
Rico.

--Tom

We went into OSJ three days early late last fall for a Princess cruise. OSJ
was
great, and since it was during the Christmas season there were a lot of
festivities and activities taking place--day and night.

The locals we meet were very friendly
and helpful. I'd love to sail out of OSJ again.

Pete

Old October 12th, 2007, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.usa-canada,uk.railway,rec.travel.cruises,rec.travel.air
LeeNY

On Oct 12, 4:09 pm, " wrote:

Unfortunately, Puerto Rickies seem to think that applause at a jet
landing is good and they've been doing it regularly for at least a
decade.

Why is it unfortunate that they applaud? Arriving safely is something
to celebrate - some of us do it internally, some are a little more
expressive. I see nothing wrong with it, and if I experience it, I'll
applaud right along with them all.

Yes, the PRs are obnoxious and the island is nothing to glom on. Even
the food sucks.

Wow. I had one of my best meals ever in San Juan. The food definitely
did not suck.

The problem is that to get to a real destination (Dominica,
Montserrat, St. Maarten) is that you have to stop at San Juan which is
an armpit equal only to Tijuana. Such is life.

I'm going to a real Caribbean destination next month, and don't have
to go through P.R. to get there. But, if that's the way we would have
had to go, you better believe we would have tacked on a few days
before or after to enjoy the island.

Lee

Old October 12th, 2007, 11:05 PM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Surfer E2468

Puerto Rico does not make the list for us,and agree if someone in this
country has so much good to say about their homeland,why don't they stay
there

cruise lover

Old October 13th, 2007, 11:13 AM posted to rec.travel.cruises
Charles[_1_]

In article , Surfer
E2468 wrote:

Puerto Rico does not make the list for us,and agree if someone in this
country has so much good to say about their homeland,why don't they stay
there

It is economic. Because there is high unemployment there and the jobs
that are there are low paying. They still can love and miss their
homeland.

--
Charles