Canadian flag on the backback myth

Old June 2nd, 2004, 05:31 AM
Anonymouse

Default Canadian flag on the backback myth

Sjoerd wrote:

I don't think any country that's been to war is completely guilt-free.
In Bosnia there were local accusations of beatings, rape and the sexual
abuse

and the dutch troops handing over unarmed civilians for execution.

The difference is that in the case of the Iraq torture scandal it seems to
have been official US government policy to torture the prisoners.

Sjoerd

good thing all the US troops did is soften up a few of the terrorist
prisoners psychologically.... that is to say they didn't torture them.

no asking question, refusal to answer, whack off a finger, repeat....

--

Cobray/Et Cetera Derringer Sideplates

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:11 AM
Sjoerd

"Anonymouse" schreef in bericht

Sjoerd wrote:

I don't think any country that's been to war is completely guilt-free.
In Bosnia there were local accusations of beatings, rape and the sexual
abuse

I didn't write that. Learn how to quote.

good thing all the US troops did is soften up a few of the terrorist
prisoners psychologically.... that is to say they didn't torture them.

no asking question, refusal to answer, whack off a finger, repeat....

OK from now on let's treat all US prisoners abroad in the same way and see
how the US government and US citizens will react.

Sjoerd

Old June 2nd, 2004, 06:26 AM
Barney

"Mark Fagan" had
l.com:

It is merely an announcement to local people that since you are so
much more polite, and might even know a little of their language,
that Canadians are deserving of being treated better!

It could also be that Canadians visiting foreign countries don't refer
to the residents as foreigners and demand they speak english. They
don't go to a local restaurant and demand food as served at home. They
usualy don't spend the day telling their hosts how things are so much
better at home and try to make up for bad manners with a huge tip.

Of course now some American poster is going to prove my point:

"I'm not into name calling. That's best left to the Morons and Idiots"
Old June 2nd, 2004, 07:18 AM
sneakysneak

Xomicron wrote in message news:G%Ouc.4190$1L4.1364@okepread02...
I was just wondering, is it really true that most Canadian's believe the
myth that people in the rest of the world will treat them better if they
know they are Canadian. I've had some people tell me this and I can't
believe that intelligent Canadians fall for that bunk. I've traveled a
lot and most of the world sees one rich foreigner as pretty much the same
as another rich foreigner.

One Canadian woman in Turkey told me Canadian flags ensured better
treatment, and I noticed Turkish men were in the habit of coming up to
her and grabbing her tits in the street (she wore 2 Canadian flags), and a
guy in Beijing who was being threatened by a cab driver who wanted $50 US
for a 10 minute cab ride (he had a big plastic Canadian flag on his back).

Whenever I ask a Canadian about this every one has held that it is true.
One English teacher said there was some famous Canadian comedian that
Chinese knew. I pointed out that the most popular person on Earth was an
American. He repeated with total conviction that anywhere in China
average people will treat you better if they know you are Canadian.

Is this some kind of Canadian folk legend and if so is it true that most
people believe it. Where does this strange belief (that a rich foreigner
who is Canadian is more your friend then an American) come from? Is it a
little misplaced nationalism (entirely harmless) or is it from a deeper
desire to make up for Canadian inferiority?

Who is the world's most popular person? Michael Jordan? Muhammad
Ali? The Pope? Pele? Come on dumbass...tell us. Since you asked,
here's some light on the subject.
http://greg.org/archive/2003/02/21/uhoh_canada.html
Since you're a dumb KKK/Nazi Bush loving faggot, what are you going
to do about it, pussy?
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:00 AM
B Vaughan

On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 23:02:17 GMT, Van wrote:

That is no urban myth as I have personally witnessed it and was told by
the Americans that they get treated better when the Europeans think we
are from Canada. It is not our fault that we have a better rep than
Americans.

Look, I'm an American who lives in Europe and I can assure you that
most Europeans would think that walking around with any sort of flag
pasted on your backpack labels you as an idiot. In the second place,
don't think most Europeans recognize the Canadian flag when they see
it. I agree with the other poster who said they probably think it's a
marijuana leaf. I have seen convincing evidence (quiz shows) to
indicate that many Europeans don't even recognize the other European
flags.

Even though I have never posed as a Canadian, I have always been
treated with the greatest courtesy and kindness throughout Europe. The
only thing you need to guarantee a good experience in Europe is good
manners.
-----------
Barbara Vaughan
My email address is my first initial followed by my surname at libero dot it
Old June 2nd, 2004, 10:04 AM
B Vaughan

On 2 Jun 2004 05:26:14 GMT, Barney wrote:

It could also be that Canadians visiting foreign countries don't refer
to the residents as foreigners and demand they speak english. They
don't go to a local restaurant and demand food as served at home. They
usualy don't spend the day telling their hosts how things are so much
better at home and try to make up for bad manners with a huge tip.

I once had the bad luck to ride in a train for two hours in front of a
loud and ignorant Canadian in Italy. Don't fool yourself.
-----------
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:29 AM
Mxsmanic

Sjoerd writes:

OK from now on let's treat all US prisoners abroad in the same way and see
how the US government and US citizens will react.

That depends on whether they are prisoners of Israel, or prisoners of
any other country. Remember the _USS Liberty_.

Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:41 AM
Bassosa

Being from Holland (Amsterdam) there is no doubt in my mind that
Americans are treated differently. Why? Simply, because WE DO NOT LIKE
AMERICANS....never have, never will. I am not talking for myself but
this seems to be the general opinion. That’s just the way it is
and you guys keep on giving us reasons to dislike you...best change
your attitude like al travellers do when they go abroad...
Old June 2nd, 2004, 11:45 AM
America the beautiful

Bassosa wrote:
Being from Holland (Amsterdam) there is no doubt in my mind that
Americans are treated differently. Why? Simply, because WE DO NOT LIKE
AMERICANS....never have, never will. I am not talking for myself but
this seems to be the general opinion. That’s just the way it is
and you guys keep on giving us reasons to dislike you...best change
your attitude like al travellers do when they go abroad...

While you are down there bowing before the one you serve, you could also
try sucking my cock.

--
Chris F
Long Island, USA.

Prime Minister Helen Clark fights for Maori rights.
http://img33.photobucket.com/albums/...sbug/maori.jpg

Pizza Express Man and his pizza eating cat Gayrab.
http://www.geocities.com/libassbug/expressman.jpg

http://****france.com/
http://www.fark.com/

Old June 2nd, 2004, 12:52 PM
Padraig Breathnach

B wrote:

... The
only thing you need to guarantee a good experience in Europe is good
manners.

That's almost a one-sentence FAQ.

Sadly, there are many people (and I don't mean particularly Americans)
who seem incapable of meeting that minimum requirement.

--
PB
The return address has been MUNGED