Mad men hit Oslo

Old July 22nd, 2011, 11:11 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Poetic Justice

Default Murder! Blood!! Excitement!!!

Johannes*Kleese wrote;

Oh, well. Millions starve in Africa these
days, thousands have already died -
quietly. The largest refugee camp houses
370.000 people and would easily make up
the second largest city of Norway.

Few give a **** [snip]...

[ABC NEWS] Bush AIDS Fund Credited With Saving Lives
By JOHN HENDREN (@johnhendren)
DAR ES SALAAM, Tanzania, Feb. 17, 2008

President Bush may be struggling at home, but he remains surprisingly
popular here in Africa, where his face adorns everything from billboards
of thanks, to women's dresses.

The main reason for his popularity is that the fund to combat AIDS,
which he created in 2003, has spent more than $15 billion on the
continent over the past five years.

"It was incumbent upon us to help deal with this pandemic that ... could
have literally wiped out an entire generation of Africans," Bush told
reporters in the Tanzanian capital today.

The fund is the largest international health initiative ever to fight a
single disease, and Bush wants to double that amount to $30 billion over
the next five years.

"Different people may have different views about you and your
administration and your legacy," Tanzanian President Jikaya Kikwete
said. "But we, in Tanzania, if we are to speak for ourselves, and for
Africa, we know for sure that you, Mr. President, and your
administration, have been good friends of our country, and have been
good friends of Africa."

Critics want even more funding and fewer strings, like the requirement
that some money go to abstinence programs.

But even critics concede what is obvious to thousands of HIV-positive
patients, like James Kan, a patient at a clinic in the capital the
program has saved lives.

"I would have died," Kan said. "Yeah, that is exactly what could have
happened."

The money from Washington has turned clinics, that dispensed little more
than advice, into institutions of healing, that dole out anti-retroviral
drugs for free, that would otherwise cost thousands of dollars each
month.

"Funding for this program has really made big changes," said Dr. Twalid
Ngoma, who oversees the Ocean Road Cancer Institute in Dar es Salaam,
where Kan and hundreds of other AIDS patients are treated.
"There is now hope. Before that, HIV was a death sentence. Everybody
died."

Three years ago, Tumbi Regional Hospital less than an hour's drive from
the capital lacked the funds to give anti-HIV drugs to its patients, who
came, were diagnosed, and sent home to die.
But now, here, as in the rest of Tanzania, where 7 percent of the
population is infected, no one is sent home without treatment, public
health officials say.

The funding has paid for expensive anti-retroviral drugs for 100,000
Africans, and for armies of public health workers, like Amy Cunningham,
director of Columbia University's International Center for AIDS Care and
Treatment Programs in Tanzania.

"Without these drugs, and without the kinds of services we've been able
to help Tanzania carry out, you would have a huge swath of a missing
generation," Cunningham said.
"A whole generation has been able to continue living."

The pandemic still remains a continental scourge.
At Tumbi, a woman told ABC News her husband abandoned her with two
children and no income, when he discovered her wasting away from the
virus.

And at Ocean Road, several patients under 5 years old have lost an eye
from AIDS-related cancer.

"Five years ago, hardly anyone on this continent got treatment,"
Cunningham said. "The initial fire was put out, but that does not mean
the flame is not continuing to burn."

Yet, nearly everyone familiar with the Bush administration program
concedes that the progress in combating the disease is undeniable.
==============================

Johannes, if you wish to send a 'Thank You' card to someone who shares
your Africa concerns and actually did something about it, here is the
address;

'To George W Bush Former President of the United States"
43 Prairie Chapel Rd.
Crawford, TX

...And Paradise Was Lost...like teardrops in the rain...

Old July 23rd, 2011, 12:14 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
irwell

Default Mad men hit Oslo

On Fri, 22 Jul 2011 22:07:23 +0200, Runge 128 wrote:

We do read the papers and we have a TV and we are also active on the Web...

WE? Hell, are there more Runges?
Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:18 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

and we enjoy horne martin and irwell useless old people home's chitchat

"David Horne" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Runge 128 wrote:

We do read the papers and we have a TV and we are also active on the
Web...

Runge off!

--
(*) of the royal duchy of city south and deansgate
www.davidhorne.net (email address on website)

Old July 23rd, 2011, 08:19 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

a finn shouting blimey...*Irwell would be happy, reminds him of his long
past youth.

"Markku Grönroos" a écrit dans le message de groupe de discussion :

Blimey! The terrorist is not supposedly an al Qaeda agent nor a moslem
zealot of any other sort, but a Norwegian sod. Prior to this piece of
information former Finnish ambassador to Norway told to the media that
most moslems in Norway are decent and hard working people. Just a few of
them have gone wild.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:24 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

Bert Hyman wrote:

It's just that they've been going on for decades

Yes, ain't it boring ;

Simply because such an endless tragedy isn't on the front page every day

It's not the everyday issue, it's the sheer, bloodthirsty amount of
media coverage despite having no news.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 09:27 AM posted to rec.travel.europe
Johannes Kleese

Markku Grönroos wrote:
Blimey! The terrorist is not supposedly an al Qaeda agent nor a moslem
zealot of any other sort, but a Norwegian sod.

What, no al-whatever terrorist? Im-poss-i-ble! And it ruins the whole
story. Guess CNN and Fox have already packed their stuff and went home.
Old July 23rd, 2011, 02:28 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Bert Hyman

In Johannes
Kleese wrote:

Bert Hyman wrote:

It's just that they've been going on for decades

Yes, ain't it boring ;

Sounds like you have a personal problem.

--
Bert Hyman St. Paul, MN
Old July 23rd, 2011, 04:55 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Juan Anonly

On 2011-07-22 12:48:58 -0700, EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque) said:

Is your preference that the Africans should die spectacularly, or that
the Norwegians should starve to death?

I suspect his point is that the rest of the world SHOULD care (and too
little of it does)!

I suspect the newsworthy distinction between the horrible deaths in
Oslo and the mundane deaths of Africa is that the former have evil
deed-doers and the latter is just a daily fact of life in poor and
mismanaged countries. The former has a narrative which includes bad
guys, innocent victims, surprise, retribution, revenge, some mystery
(who done it?) a quest for justice, etc.

In this way Oslo is news while the endemic pestilence and mortality in
Somalia is like the passing of the seasons; regular and predictable
facts of life.
--
-- Beware the delicate, tiny, very talented celebrity starlets.

Old July 23rd, 2011, 10:13 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)

Runge 128 wrote:
We do read the papers and we have a TV and we are also active on the Web...

Stop the presses - gRunge can read!
Old July 23rd, 2011, 11:03 PM posted to rec.travel.europe
Runge 128

hohoho the old lady comes out of the psy hospital

"EvelynVogtGamble(Divamanque)" a écrit dans le message de groupe de
discussion : ...