Safe to travel Zimbabwe?

Old December 9th, 2004, 07:55 AM
Mark

Default Safe to travel Zimbabwe?

Hello everyone or anyone,

Next year we intend to travel to our favourite continent again. We're Dutch
and in 2001 we already visited Zimbabwe in a rented 4x4 with rooftoptent
(sani rental)during a trip which started in Johannesburg and took us through
Breitbrigde (SA-Zimb. borderpost) into Zimbabwe visiting Hwange and Vic.
Falls before travelling into Botswana and back in South-Africa. Next year
(2005) we want to travel to same route with my parents. For Dutch people
there isn't a negative travel advice for Zimbabwe since March this year but
still we would like to know from people who visited Zimbabwe lately if it's
advisable to visit Hwange and Vic Falls. So can anyone advice me if it's
safe? thank you!

Take care,

Mark & Indra

Old December 9th, 2004, 11:34 AM
Chomkuti

Mark Wrote:
[...]

Mark & IndraTravelling in Zimbabwe is not as bad as it might sound and the unrest in

Zimbabwe is not nearly as bad as it was in 2001, but sadly there is more
crime, not worse than alot of other African countries but certianly
worse than the peaceul national Zimbabwe once was. People travelling
with organised safari opperators have little to worry about as they
genrally fly and they are with people who understand the situation. It
is unlikely that you would have any probelms at all but you should be
aware and careful to aviod suspect situations.
Crossing at Beitbridge
This can be either a simple crossing or a very painfully long
experiance depending on how busy it is when you cross,
Hwange is great, lots of good game, no probelms at all and Vic Falls is
likely more peaceful than it was in 2001 as a lot of the street peddlers
have been removed. I think Zimbawe is over all a safe place for
travellers, I lived there through all the farm probelms from 1999 to
2005, a lot of people were involved in violence on there farms and in
political meeting etc. For my part, I have never seen a single act of
violence in my 32 years of living in this my home country, but then i
guess i was lucky. I think the only headache you are likely to have is
with fuel, no one can advise you on that until nearer the time, some
times there is and some times there is not. a good friend of mine still
living there would be happy to advise you if you are more interested,
you can find him at 'www.bekssafaris.com' (http://www.bekssafaris.com/)
his name is Beks or email me

--
Chomkuti