transatlantic delta flights

Old January 12th, 2008, 07:41 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Mr. Travel

Default transatlantic delta flights

Lansbury wrote:
On Wed, 09 Jan 2008 23:31:41 -0800, "Mr. Travel" wrote:

Are they worth paying 42 percent more?

He obviously considered it was, in the same way I consider paying to fly
business class worth it. Our money we spend as we wish to get the service we
want.

We aren't talking about Business Class. My question was what
specifically would make it worth flying the other airlines he mentioned,
rather than not paying 42 percent more and flying DL. There isn't much
a difference between them in standard economy.
Old January 15th, 2008, 10:13 AM posted to rec.travel.air
Doug Weller

On Thu, 10 Jan 2008 07:08:41 -0000, in rec.travel.air, Graham Harrison
wrote:

"Rog'" wrote in message
. ..
wrote:
C'mon. Give Atlanta a break. There are no "satellites" in
Atlanta, just a series of terminals, connected by a very
efficient underground rail.

Atlanta is one of the world's busiest airports, and yet, IME, the
most efficient. I've never had a problem going between terminals
using the underground shuttles. I like to whine that, no matter
which flight I'm taking, its always at the farthest gate. At ATL,
as compared to some other airports, that doesn't seem too far.
---------------
To the other poster, complaining of the hurricanes. Again, what
a preposterous post. Atlanta has its share of bad weather like
any other airport in the SE States, but a chance of a hurricane
there is perhaps 10-20% of that in Miami or Houston. On the
other side, the chance of a winter storm there is incomparably
smaller than at any NE or Midwest airport.

That post was absurd. About once every 3 or 4 years, rements
of a tropical storm will bring in gusts of wind sufficient to cancel
or delay flights for a few hours, but that happens more often due
to severe thunderstorms at just about every airport. You might
as well avoid O'Hare due to the risk of a tornado.

I wasn't complaining about customs or immigration. And
satellites/terminals who cares? The point is that at most airports once
you clear customs and immigration you're out and free. At Atlanta (and
Charlotte?) you've got a whole extra layer to get through. When I went
through Charlotte in the 90s when they had that arrangement it was just a
bit iritating. But with the latest secuity rules it can be a real pain.
Unless you are really lucky you have to queue to deposit your checked bag
(unless you only have hand baggage) and then queue to go through security at
which point you find out that the fluid you bought on the plane isn't
permitted through the checkpoint but your checked bag has already
disappeared so you can't put the fluid in there and so it gets confiscated.
Didin't happen to me (more by good luck than judgement) but I saw several
disputes.

If you changed planes at Philly you would have had the same problem as
you'd have to go through security again at Terminal F.

I was actually quite impressed by the security people at Atlanta. Both on
arrivl on an international flight and on departure they seemed to be good at
organsing people in a friendly way. The queue time was minimal. I have
no idea how efficient the hub itslef is because I've never changed planes
there (well I did in the mid 70s flying Eastern so that's irrelevant). But
that doesn't detract from the fact that instead of stepping from customs
into the terminal and then to the road you have to go through security, get
on a train, find another carousel in the main terminal and finally get to
the road at Atlanta.

--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Old January 15th, 2008, 06:54 PM posted to rec.travel.air
John L

If you changed planes at Philly you would have had the same problem as
you'd have to go through security again at Terminal F.

No, you don't. There's a bus between Terminal F and Terminal C behind
security.

It's true, if you arrive from overseas and you want to connect to
another flight, you have to get screened again at PHL, typically in
terminal A. But if you just want to leave, you can leave.