Club Med : Cancun or another all-inclusive resort?

Old September 3rd, 2004, 05:33 AM
Dominic Mitchell

Default Club Med : Cancun or another all-inclusive resort?

Hi,

My wife and I are planning a trip to Mexico in either February or March
2005. We are considering Club Med in Cancun. The reasons why we are
considering the resort are mainly for the sport activities (eg
windsurfing et al) and food which is suppose to good at any Club Med.
We had a preference for the Club Med in the Bahamas, but we are
concerned that we might found the water a bit cold in february in the
Bahamas (Columbus Isle).

Thus looking at the many picture of the beaches in the Cancun/Riviera
Maya/Cozumel area, I am not convinced about the choice of Club Med
Cancun. I like waves on the beach. All pictures I have seen from Club
Med Cancun showed rather calm waters. Is that the case? If so then,
within walking is distance from Club Med, is there a nice beach with
more waves?

Should I consider another resort? Some resort I am looking are Iberostar
Paraiso Lindo, Viva Wyndham Azteca, Barcelo Maya Beach Resort, Sunscape
Tulum Riviera Maya and Grand Cozumel by Occidental.

The criteria that we are looking for a

- Access to windsurfing, kayak, hobby cat ... (with lessons for
beginners)
- Good food is a priority
- Nice Beach of white sand

Thanks for your advice

Dominic Mitchell

Old September 3rd, 2004, 04:00 PM

All pictures I have seen from Club
Med Cancun showed rather calm waters.

I think the Caribbean is rather calm no matter where
you go.

Maybe the Pacific would be a better choice?
Old September 3rd, 2004, 11:19 PM
IPGrunt

Dominic Mitchell seems to think in
:

[...]

Club Med in Cancun is not a great choice. It is located at the base of the
island, crowded on the point. The snorkling is limited in this area due to
all the construction during the last 30 years, and the influx of tourists.
Most of the reefs have been destroyed. You can, however, hobycat and
windsurf there, though the wind is not so great for either. If you like
windsurfing, try Aruba.

Cancun has many amenities and it doesn't make sense to me to limit yourself
to an all-inclusive place like Club Med there.

There are many great resorts in Cancun, and down the peninsula to Playa del
Carmen. Very hard to pick one. I have stayed at the Royal Sands resort
(Royal has 4 on the island and are timeshare) and the Melea. Both
excellent.

In Aruba, the Mariott or Holiday Inn are both convenient for windsurfin at
Malmok.

Have fun. I am envious as I am too busy to go right now.

-- ipgrunt

Old September 4th, 2004, 02:14 AM
Mike H

Er... excuse me, but have you actually been to the Cancun Club Med??
The Club is anything but crowded. To the contrary, it is the most spacious
and open resort I have seen in the Cancun area. It has the ideal
Cancun location since it was basically the first resort. Perhaps the
snorkeling reef is not the best in the Caribbean, but almost all the
snorkeling trips in Cancun go to the reef that is just off the club.
You can walk out of your room, go 100 yards to a small beach, and be at
the best snorkeling area in the Cancun area.
The beach to the east/north of the club does get the same waves as the
other resorts... often it is too rough to enter (and enjoy). The
windsurfing/sailing areas are usually much smoother. I say "usually"
because this past April we were there for a week and the wind never
dropped below about 20 mph. As sailors/windsurfers, we thought this
was great.
See my trip reports at www.hammocktree.org/ms/trips.html

Mike